Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 23:26   #31

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Med to Australia timing?

Hoppy oh I forgot about the grief I got with my radio licence I could right a book on it the s%^# they gave me about that and the funny thing is when I went and did the motor boat training they bragged about how Australia has the best safety training system in the world it was a joke your not even tested to see if you have any boat or seamenship skills .
I have yacht master commercial licence STCW95 now I made enquireys in regards to setting up a yacht based business in victoria with a yacht I am looking to purchase and just run from November to April each yr , and guess what they are not valid for me to use in vic or Oz I need to go and get a Australian yacht masters 5 qualification bloody joke .

And on the GST/import duty. If you have owned yacht for more than 12 months then they will base the GST/duty on current over enflated Australian Market not what you may of purchased it at and if you purchased a yacht say in last 3 months and are heading back and paid let's say 10000 euros for yacht you would be liable for 15000 euro GST/duty but back then 15000 euros = about $18000 now with the fall of the dollar it's about $23000
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 00:00   #32

Did you end up getting the Aussie VHF licence?

I'm shocked (or perhaps not) that you get so much grief on the licensing once it was established that you are not a citizen returning to take up residence and importing. Sure give you grief whilst they establish that you are still a UK resident.

It reminds me about one visit home. As normal I filled in the box to say I am coming as a tourist, but the immigration guy wanted me to fill in the "returning resident" section instead. Idiot

Btw what was the refrigerant issue? I assume that they expect you to be using a certain type of gas. Is it different to current EU standard?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-08-2015, 00:07   #33

How do people deal with gas bottles? I'm only used to the standard bottled used in Greece which you just exchange. I'm sure I've read that people end up with an assortment of regulators, but what happens to the bottles?

Old 03-08-2015, 00:11   #34

Btw B500, which way did you travel? Canaries to South America and then South Africa or did you go "direct" to SA? From SA did you stop anywhere before Broome?

Old 03-08-2015, 00:19   #35

Are the gas issue was that I originally had an old type of CFC gas R114 I think and in Oz you can only use one type which is not what I had in it the guy in Rodney bay who did the degassing end up emailing them confirming they where de gassed plus I was already aware of the regulations on the gas and costs associated if I turned up with gas in system I saved over 3/4s of what it would of cost me in Oz to have it all done ,
Vhf finally got soughted after a month I didn't need to get one as I keep point out I have A UK rya licence which is assinged to the yacht with its mmsi number .

I will say this the most friendly helpful people so far have all been NSW people from Eden to kiama
Old 03-08-2015, 00:26   #36

Rome to giblrater across to Brazil spent 3 weeks up the Amazon ( really amazing ) then St Helena on to sth Africa then was going to Perth but weather changed that went to broome SA to broome was fast adveraged 11.3 knots a day only twice did we have bad weather ie big seas which was pretty hard on the body
Old 03-08-2015, 00:27   #37

Oh gas bottles I have at least 7 adaptors for gas bottles now
Old 03-08-2015, 00:32   #38

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
How do people deal with gas bottles? I'm only used to the standard bottled used in Greece which you just exchange. I'm sure I've read that people end up with an assortment of regulators, but what happens to the bottles?
Don't know about bringing bottles into Oz but I have just been put through the hoops getting australian manufactured bottles certified for filling in NZ.

Stainless.... tested and passed in NZ 12 years ago... this time the ( different) testers wanted to rip the boots off... which are vulcanised on at the start of the manufacturing process. Took a fortnight..... all sorted now... boots stayed on.
Fittings... Oz, NZ, US, Chile, Arg are all the same ... dunno about what they have in Europe.

Currently being put through hoops by NZ customs... sent a single item for the yacht by DHL Express last week... now being told I must be registered as an importer before they will release it...FMTT
Old 03-08-2015, 00:45   #39

Just sitting at a cafe in a park watching the beautiful Greek waitress cross the road back into the cafe building. This discussion has me wondering if workplace safety laws in Aus would ever let staff cross the road like that.

Old 03-08-2015, 00:48   #40

Ah the problem which I am seeing here in Oz is Australia has gone away from BS standards and ISO and creating there own AS standards which do not cross over or be the equiverlent to BS/ISO , I may be wrong , just like the EPIRB system here and there are a lot of black spots with VHF I found that out at Gabbo Island
Old 03-08-2015, 00:52   #41

No hoppy they wouldn't allow it she would need a certificate 111 to do that here and why is every word used in Oz now ending in ies example firies = fireman
Old 03-08-2015, 00:57   #42

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
No hoppy they wouldn't allow it she would need a certificate 111 to do that here and why is every word used in Oz now ending in ies example firies = fireman
A lot of the words I use in Oz end in 'er' and 'ead'
Old 03-08-2015, 13:56   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
Political correctness? The alternative is fireperson
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 14:48   #44

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

At least they didn't require a 'seaworthy' certificate like the 'roadworthy' they do for cars--otherwise known as a license for mechanics to steal.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia