Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2006, 08:04   #1

Boat: Privilege 37
Mandatory requirement for anti-fouling

New biofouling protocols:

The Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) is preparing to introduce the worldʼs fi rst biofouling protocols as part of a national project to keep marine pests out of Australian waters.
From 1 October 2005, a phase in period of voluntary guidelines will commence. After a review of the voluntary phase, the requirements will become mandatory. This is expected to occur after 1 October 2006.

see here

Doesnt cover what happens if you have one of these a/f coatings that are supposed to be good for a number of years.

Why are they targeting small yachts when commercial vessels are much more likely to have longer periods between a/f and also have a much larger area for underwater passengers - sounds like discrimination to me - wonder how this law would stand up under anti-discrimination/human rights etc type legislation?

Also fails to recognise that the worst cases of non-native animals taking over from the local fauna has primarily been inspired by the Government uitself (e.g. cane toads)
Old 28-01-2006, 08:30   #2

Hey Talbot.

Sorry old chap. But Bob Norson beat you to this posting a few days ago. Here's the link:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/showthr...1423#post21423

His online magazine even has an article on the subject. Some good reading. Good recommended reading, for those traveling down under?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2006, 12:39   #3
Kai Nui

So it is about invasive species. HMMM...
I agree GORD, It seems counter productive, considering that requiring new A/F will potentially cause more water pollution. Also in consideration of the fact that the majority of such incursions occure as a result of the release of ballast tanks filled in other locations. Something that is not a factor with recreational vessels.
Old 28-01-2006, 15:54   #4

Funny what can live on the bildge holding tanks?

And some people wonder why boat owners cannot pump their poop or water into the bay?

12 miles out you can. But not in a marina, or a harbor. Shheessh!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 28-01-2006, 16:03   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Kai Nui claims to "... I agree GORD ...".
Which gord, in which respect, on which subject, are you agreeing with?
Gord May

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2006, 16:06   #6

I was asking myself the same thing GORD?

Maybe he's losing it. Or he's just simply confused?

Old 28-01-2006, 23:31   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Introduced marine growth is a major issue and concern for both Australia and New Zealand. Our water are unique down here. We here in NZ are already having major problems with a few new pests. One is called the "SeaSquirt".
So why the issue with smaller vessels?. Simple, the smaller vessel will tavel to many more destinations. In and out of small waterways and into marinas and harbours that major shipping does not go. The smaller vessels will spread the stuff real quick. Yes the big ships brought it here, but they are confined to a major port area and can be controlled within reason.
The biggest issue is that the introduced pests have no preditors. Nothing that will feed on them and control them. We have nutrient rich clean waters that make these pests explode in numbers very quickly. And once established, can destroy the delicate balance of marinelife we have down in this part of the world. AND if that happens, I can't harp on about how wonderful our country is down here now can I
Talbot, I have no idea what Australia is going to do about Canetoads. What a catastrophy. Much of the Northern area's have had entire native species compleatly wiped out. Snakes through to aligators all gone because of those little mungrales.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 03:19   #8

Boat: Privilege 37
Yes apologies for re-posting. I picked up the thread and was intending to post to a different forum, but fingers screwed up!

I blame the red wine!
Old 29-01-2006, 08:57   #9

Marine infestations.

Bringing an unfamilar creature into a beautiful environment, can bring it's devestation. Here in the U.S. as of recent years. There have been problems with the, "snakehead fish."

Snakehead fish will eat the other fish out fo exsistance. The land and wildlife experts have been doing their best on killing these fish off. Using all sorts of methods? Anything from removing the oxygen. To draining the lakes?

It's a nasty business of cleaning this up. And I'm sure New Zealand & Australia, could have their hands full. Which is why they are doing this towards the cruising folks!!

Old 29-01-2006, 09:06   #10

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
I certainly don't begrude a country placing inspection & restriction guidelines in place to protect its ecosystem; I'm surprised anyone would. The issue IMO is how 'workable' the program is. When I read Bob's newsletter and attached govt'l document, it made clear that a private vessel would need to be hauled for a full visual inspection only if marine growth of some meaningful amount was visible at the waterline. If a boat has a clean bottom on arrival, it would pass inspection. Since a passage taking a boat into Oz waters might last a week or so, and a bottom scrub is available prior to departing, what this means to me in an operational sense is that I need to have effective antifouling on the boat's bottom. Seems reasonable to me unless there's something I missed...

Jack
Old 29-01-2006, 09:21   #11

What was stated was this.

If your antifouling paint is doing it's job. You pass inspection. If your anti fouling paint, is not doing it's job. They will ask you pretty much two things.

#1. If you plan to stay. You'll have to get a bottom paint job. Period!! We're talking expensive.

#2. If you are wanting to stay. And you don't want the paint. They will pretty much tell you to get the hell out of their country.
Or keep it on the hard during your visit to their. Either way. It'll be expensive.

That's what I visualized form reading the article?

Old 29-01-2006, 10:45   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Actually it is not TOOOO expensive. My hull cost me about NZ$1000(US$600) to haul, clean, paint (including cost of paint) and drop back in. If your Anti-foul sin't doingthe job, then it is worth the exercise. Especially witht he cost of fuel here. You don't want to much holding you back and burning fuel.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 10:53   #13

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Importing baddies

Should we have the right to take baddies to any country of our choice because it is too exspensive for us to deal with them ?
There have probably been some extreem examples that would cause the lawmakers to address this. Should we allow a vehicle to cause polution because the owner can not afford to fix it ? I am a firm believer in freedom of most anything, but it comes with the responsibility of not messing up your neighbours place. If your baot is a toxic marine enviroment then you likely deserve to be forced to fix it. Failing that it could cost others a great deal of money to support your poluting ways. The Zebra mussels are causing a lot of trouble in Eastern North America. They likely got here on board boats. They probably can not swim accross the Atlantic. Quite a few ships sail accross the ocean and then empty all their crap a few miles off shore of their destination. Unfortunately the poluters will not clean up voluntarily.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 16:42   #14
Bob Norson

Greetings Y’all

BE SURE THERE IS A GENUINE PROBLEM BEFORE YOU START TO DEBATE THE MERITS OF THE CURE!

I have been through the Australians governments own research, examined independent university studies and IMO for facts on Bio-fouling.

There is much miss-information on this subject. Lets do some myth busting here.
The idea that transported specie has some advantage over locals is false. The extreme opposite is true. A local that has been successful in their environment and is present in large numbers is going to be very difficult for an exotic to knock off. The odds are way in favour of the local.
The idea that a specie can transport in even small quantity and prosper on a new shore. Again, the extreme opposite is true. Marine organisms reproduce in a non selective manner. Typically, they cast their seed to the current. They rely on established numbers of candidates to receive.
Further, it is very rare to find an unoccupied territory.

No where in the research I have examined is there one proven example of a yacht causing a transport of a marine pest. Ships are a far different story.

HEY BC Mike… the zebra mussel came to North America in the bilge water of A Russian ship that had come from the Caspian Sea. The IMO has a protocol regarding discharge of bilge water now.

Yachts tend to take on the biota of their local waters. This is shown again and again even in the governments own research. It seems reasonable to assume from that fact that the size of the mass on a yacht is just not large enough to sustain an exotic as the yacht slowly moves through various water temperatures and salinity levels.

A study done in New Zealand a few years ago, surveyed the fouling on some visiting yachts and an LPG tanker in the same harbour. The yachts showed some fouling but nothing noted as a threat or exotic. The ship was another matter. I quote from the report; “25 species were identified. Almost all the species present were exotic, most were alive and many were reproductively viable.” They also gave their estimate of the amount of fouling, 11 KG per square metre of hull!! Tons of the stuff. That’s enough to give a bug a start.

It gets worse! Ships have been able to use anti-foul that has been off limits to poor yachties. Tributyltin, the hot stuff, is now being removed from shipping by the IMO because it was a well known threat to the environment. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

The Australian Government of late has a record of legislation that sounds good at a glance but there be devil in the detail. I fear this new one is more about establishing precedent than concern for the environment, a red herring to divert attention away from matters where the gov really has been negligent and yachties are such a soft target.

The article in TCP (free download from www.thecoastalpassage) in issue # 17 has much more information and also, I have more info since that printing that furthers the case I make above. I could clog this forum but…

Enough

cheers
Old 29-01-2006, 19:57   #15
Kai Nui

GORD, And K, OOPS! I meant Talbot. See what happens when we get multiple threads on the same subject. I get all confused.
Talbot, you were the target of my agreement. I have not been able to get out ltely due to weather and travel, so I guess my brain is going to mush.

Tags
anti-fouling