Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2017, 21:59   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
MALAYSIA as a Home Base?

Our house in Subic Bay is now sold and we move full time back onto Stargazer in the next 2 months.

After basing myself in the Philippines for 17 years, I want to try someplace new as a back up residence while still cruising SE Asia and west pacific.

Eventually with the view to having a retirement home ashore when not cruising and/or when we sell the boat. Malaysia offers a good retirement program.

With just the two of us, ideally we are looking to buy a comfortable Sea View hi rise apartment (1 or 2 bedroom) that is secure, lockable for when cruising and in a nice and interesting area that is popular with Expats.

In Malaysia, I know Kota Kinabalu/Sabah well but that seems less convenient to the resources of Singapore or KL, than West Coast Malaysia say from Penang to Johor, where you could drive to Singapore.

Has any one done a similar search or has comments- recommendations on where we should start looking?

Stargazer, now registered in Langkawi would not have a permanent moorage, so that is not a big issue.

Thanks for any advice.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 06:42   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: MALAYSIA as a Home Base?

Hi Pelagic, I know you said Kk wasnt as convenient but that would be my choice. I hope this dosent offend....its less Muslim, it has a good cultural mix, seems a more modern city and you have Palawan just up the road.

Second would be Langkawi. There's a couple of good expat residential estates, its duty free and you have the phuket langkawi cruising grounds.

My 2 cents worth.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 10:03   #3
CF Adviser

Hi Dale,
Thanks for the advice.

Ironically KK is the only part of Malaysia I am familiar with and I agree with your observations.

I spent about a year in KK consulting on a new Superyacht Marina development just below the Shangrila Rasa Ria and really enjoyed the place .

Also with the new Gleneagles hospital now open, it certainly has a top health care facility.

But KK is a bit too touristy for me and it does not have cheap access to the boat supplies you can find in Singapore.

Also after a year there I found it a bit boring. Same after spending only a month in Langkawi [emoji4]

The idea of being able to drive to Singapore in a few hours appeals to me but I just don't know the mainland side if I would enjoy a residence there.
Old 21-09-2017, 11:21   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Eventually with the view to having a retirement home ashore when not cruising and/or when we sell the boat. Malaysia offers a good retirement program.

With just the two of us, ideally we are looking to buy a comfortable Sea View hi rise apartment (1 or 2 bedroom) that is secure, lockable for when cruising and in a nice and interesting area that is popular with Expats.

I would think twice about Malaysia. Three years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about moving there, but times are changing.

Before the oil crash the military had signed US$80B in contracts. After the crash, keeping in mind that 20% of government revenue comes from oil, the government virtually went broke, and not a one of those contracts was fulfilled.

Until recently, the Malaysian govt was keen and strict on a multi-cultural society and transparency against corruption. With the economic crisis, that has changed drastically.

The Malay Chinese (MC) are being pushed out of government, and government is leaning toward a less secular body of laws- meaning the more fundamental Muslims are (successfully so far) trying to make Malaysia an Islamist country. Last week the KL government cancelled the beer festival because it would be offensive! OMG!

Corruption, once the bane of advancing Malaysia, has come roaring back.

Like Venezuela, Malaysia is trading (selling off) oil and land in exchange for infrastructure projects...in the end, they'll be owned by China.

The race tensions are at the "frustrated" level. The MC continue to be pushed out and be treated second class, which may some day erupt.

Crime (particularly now, petty crime) is on the rise. KL used to be one of the safest cities in the world; it may still be, but that too is changing.

Depending on how important your home might be (as in, how well you can afford to walk away) you may want to consider investing less, being in a more CM area, or finding somewhere else.

I don't have a crystal ball, so can't say what will happen. Maybe Malaysia will just be another Thailand. But it could be Turkey or Venezuela as well. No matter what, they've departed the Singapore path.

Based on that, I'd suggest southwest Johore. Not my favorite place, but a quick escape to Singapore.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 14:29   #5
CF Adviser

Great analysis Tetpare and with China's ....One Road, One Belt... goal, I am seeing both corruption and local polarisation increasing in Asian countries most affected.

Last night in my research, I looked closely at Johor.

Sabana Cove has been a white elephant for many years floating
in and out of bancruptcy.

However, with Malaysia's largest Petrochemical refinery on the tip, apparently very nice beaches on the Gulf side and a Palm oil industry in the middle, the whole Johor Peninsula is being primed by the government for development.

It has me interested
Old 22-09-2017, 02:56   #6

Boat: Oyster 66

What about Singapore? Anglo and totally cosmopolitan. Or Thailand? I read recently that you can now buy in Vietnam. I wonder if that may be an option.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 03:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
What about Singapore? Anglo and totally cosmopolitan. Or Thailand? I read recently that you can now buy in Vietnam. I wonder if that may be an option.
Last time i looked Malaysia had a very good" Malaysia my second home " program.
Old 22-09-2017, 03:47   #8

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

I dont know much about Malaysia, but we just took a short trip to Sabah and had a good experience. Friendly people and a nice little marina there. Lots of fresh fish, although what i heard was China buys the best fish off the boats and leaves little for the local market.

Hear that the country is giving incentives for foriegners to purchase vacation homes there but dont know all the details, still doing my own investigation. But compared to the philippines, its a much more clean culture, more people following the law, better organized, less chaos. Just my observation
Old 22-09-2017, 06:30   #9

Quote:
I spent 7 years flying to Vietnam. Beautiful country, good food and in general the people were very nice.

I looked at buying in Nha Trang but at the time, foreigners were NOT allowed to own land and the prices were HIGH....surprisingly.

A couple of issues......not cruiser friendly I'm told and English is not widely spoken outside the big cities.

A few other weird quirks..... you may have to show proof of marriage when you check into a hotel, you can't rent a car or drive a motorbike over a certain size......something like 150ccs.
Old 22-09-2017, 14:43   #10

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

Haven't been there for a couple of years, yes Langkawi is a good option, Penang perhaps even better as I like the food. Medical is great. To the point many expats would prefer to be treated locally than going home and using Medical Insurance.
For a tourist I think Malaysia is the easiest of countries to travel. Its only when you been there a while that your aware of undertones. Think I'd prefer to rent than buy anywhere in Asia, at least till I'd been there for a while.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 17:10   #11
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I spent 7 years flying to Vietnam. Beautiful country, good food and in general the people were very nice.

I looked at buying in Nha Trang but at the time, foreigners were NOT allowed to own land and the prices were HIGH....surprisingly.

A couple of issues......not cruiser friendly I'm told and English is not widely spoken outside the big cities.

A few other weird quirks..... you may have to show proof of marriage when you check into a hotel, you can't rent a car or drive a motorbike over a certain size......something like 150ccs.
Had not thought of Vietnam as I have never visited because it was not cruiser friendly.

I will be there over Xmas- New Year, so will look from that perspective..
Old 22-09-2017, 17:33   #12

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Malaysia is nice but it's too hot. Also, there are only a few places to anchor.

I like philippines and indonesia better, a lot more islands it's better for cruising, and the people are fantastic. I think these places spoiled the US for me, I don't like it here.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 17:38   #13
CF Adviser

Quote:
I just assumed the cost of living in Singapore is pretty high as I have only visited for conferences and thought it was expensive like HK.

Being near but in a less dense, more rural, part of the coastline is what I think would fit our shore side lifestyle.

Thailand was our first thought as we both love the culture/the food and the Temples.
Never been to Pataya as it seemed far too touristy and sleazy, but perhaps we are wrong in that assumption of the area.

Also read that the building standards and resale value of these expat apartments are very low.....So started looking at Malaysia.

Great comments and thoughts from all!

Having been based in Asia since the 80's I am familiar with cultural undertones (which is a two way street) but I think a great byproduct of the cruising life is the open friendly attitude we develop as sea gypsies.

Presently studying Port Dickson coastline south towards Singapore so would appreciate any opinions of that area for a shore side apartment investment.
Old 22-09-2017, 21:40   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Our house in Subic Bay is now sold and we move full time back onto Stargazer in the next 2 months.

After basing myself in the Philippines for 17 years, I want to try someplace new as a back up residence while still cruising SE Asia and west pacific.

In Malaysia, I know Kota Kinabalu/Sabah well but that seems less convenient to the resources of Singapore or KL, than West Coast Malaysia say from Penang to Johor, where you could drive to Singapore.

Has any one done a similar search or has comments- recommendations on where we should start looking?

Stargazer, now registered in Langkawi would not have a permanent moorage, so that is not a big issue.

Thanks for any advice.
Hi! Pelagic,

Perfect and excellent! Southern Johor, particularly Johor-Bahru is the best emerging town to live, retiring and raising children.

Just about 30 to 45 minutes driving to Singapore town, 10 minutes to Lego-Land, good International School, 2 hours to Malacca historic town and etc.

At-least four (4) marinas within the area and mooring are very cheap with facilities. Excellent for boaters. You can choose either living in high rise condominium or bungalow. May apply for as Malaysia My Second Home (Grey-hair Scheme) valid for 10 years and renewable.

Very safe town, no problem at all walking alone at 2 or 3 a.m, good night life and plenty of restaurants and full of Singaporeans in the evening. As early as 3 a.m, the traffic at the causeway already jammed because peoples are crossing to Singapore for working and schooling. The town already busy as early as 3 a.m and can't find anyway in the world.

Good and modern shopping complexes, super-market, sport complex and etc. People are friendly, most of them speak English and transportation are good with taxi, Uber and Grab cars services.

I was there recently with family, about 3 weeks ago for a month and met the famous Capt.Joe of Malaysian Marine, a MOT Minister's Authorized Agent for the Langkawi Yacht. Good veteran mariner from Southampton University and New York Maritime College. He's a local native, very helpful and knowledgeable. Like boating and sailing. Any help needed, just call him at +6019-7990170 and/or email him at Joabdullah@rocketmail.com before coming, may mention my name, Mrs.Harper.

Cheers and have a nice weekend....

Elise Harper.
helise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 21:58   #15

I also heard James from Pankor is starting a haul out and yard facility at Puturi?

Tags
Malaysia