Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2009, 11:38   #1

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Major Earthquake / Tsunami / South Pacific!

A 7.9 magnitude earthquake occurred about 100 miles south of Apia Samoa at 1748 UTC 29 Sept. It's not known if a tsunami will develop, but a tsunami watch is in effect as far away as New Zealand and Hawaii. If you're within that circle, keep an eye on the reports. Good luck.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 11:53   #2

Boat: Macgregor 222 22'
Tsunami Warning

A magnitude 7.9 earthquake struck in Pacific Ocean near American Samoa today, but officials have not issued a tsunami warning for the California coast.
The temblor hit about 10:48 p.m. PDT, and there was no immediate word of injuries or damage.
Federal authorities said it's unclear whether the quake formed a tsunami -- but even if it did, there is no danger to the Pacific coast of California, Oregon or Washington at this time.
Officials did issue a watch for the Hawaiian Islands as well as other island areas, including New Zealand and New Guinea.
Skipper62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 12:31   #3

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
A Major Earthquake

A 7.9 earthquake just ocurred in American Samoa with a Tsunami warning for all of the area includng New Zealand
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 13:49   #4

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
A five-foot tsunami wave swept into Pago Pago, capital of American Samoa, shortly after the earthquake, sending sea water surging inland about 100 yards (meters) before receding, leaving some cars and debris stuck in mud. Electricity outages were reported, and telephone lines were jammed.
idpnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 14:27   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to DarkBlue
From BBC

"A tsunami caused by a powerful earthquake in the Pacific has killed at least three people and injured 50 in Samoa, officials said.
An 8.3-magnitude quake struck at 1748 GMT, generating 5ft (1.57m) waves in Apia and Pago Pago, American Samoa.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre (PTWC) said the quake struck at a depth of 33km (20 miles) some 190km from Apia.
Radio New Zealand quoted Samoan residents as saying that villages were inundated and homes and cars swept away".

DarkBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 15:40   #6

Boat: s/v Giro Lagoon 380 S2 #409
Send a message via Skype™ to twowheel
AP is now reporting at least 14 killed. Let's hope and pray that there are no more.
twowheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 18:44   #7

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Tsunami hits Samoa...

Tsunami hits Samoa islands after quake - Asia-Pacific - msnbc.com

Not good, waves traveled up to a mile inland...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 19:27   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
We were nervous in Hawaii until it was determined that it would not hit these islands.
Samoa however sustained some damage and there were about 20 deaths as I understand.
JohnL
Old 29-09-2009, 20:21   #9

Boat: boat less ATM
Angry TSUNAMI - strikes Somoan Islands

here is a link to early coverage of the devastation to the Somoan Islands including American Samoa caused by tsunamis set off by a magnitude 8 earthquake in the Pacific 250 kms from the capital of Samoa.

Entire villages have been obliterated.

Tsunami | Powerful Pacific Earthquake Triggers Tsunami | American Samoa | Western Samoa | Killer Tsunami | Dead | Village flattened | Sydney Morning Herald | smh.com.au | Australian missing

Paul
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 22:10   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
With 2 more intense tropical storms churning away in Micronesia on the way towards the Philippines, I would hate to be out there and also be worrying about rogue waves that were Tsunami generated.

http://typhoon2000.ph/t2kgraphsat.gif
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 13:24   #11

This is my first post, so I'm not sure where it should go... It's in regard to the tsunami that hit Samoa, I am desperate to know where and how I should go about checking on the well being of my dad...his boat is Altaira, call signs: K8KIM (ham) and WDC4506 (marine). Last blog update was from Fatuna on 9/26. Any information or help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Sailorsdaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 13:46   #12

Sailorsdaughter: try googling Pacific Maritime nets and see if you can contact someone at a SOuth Pacific ham net, maybe they can get some info for you or he might listen to the net.... Hope all is well..
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 13:48   #13
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorsdaughter View Post
This is my first post, so I'm not sure where it should go... It's in regard to the tsunami that hit Samoa, I am desperate to know where and how I should go about checking on the well being of my dad...his boat is Altaira, call signs: K8KIM (ham) and WDC4506 (marine). Last blog update was from Fatuna on 9/26. Any information or help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
I left Futuna on 21/9 and didn't see a boat of that name but he probably arrived after we left. Fiji had little or no effect from the tsunami so it might be safe to bet that Futuna is OK. It is a very steep to island with deep water all around so I'm guessing this would make it safer. Don't panic, Futuna is a very hard country to communicate to and from. I will try calling a friend there tonight and see if I can get any info but don't hold your breath.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 13:55   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From today's 'Lectronic Latitude, comes word that the reports out of American Samoa reveal horrible devastation:

"Tsunami Devastates American Samoa

"September 30, 2009 – American & Western Samoa

(Click on the
photo to enlarge it.)
Just one of many boats left high and dry after a tsunami hit Western Samoa yesterday morning.
© 2009 Cynthia Luafalealo

"Yesterday at 6:48 a.m. local time, an 8.0-magnitude earthquake shook awake American and Western Samoa. Several minutes later — just enough time to allow folks to make their way outside to talk with their neighbors about the temblor — a tsunami swept the islands, killing at least 119 people."

For the rest of the lengthy article, go to:

Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine

TaoJones
Old 30-09-2009, 14:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Sailorsdaughter: try googling Pacific Maritime nets and see if you can contact someone at a SOuth Pacific ham net, maybe they can get some info for you or he might listen to the net.... Hope all is well..
Thank you.
Sailorsdaughter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
south pacific