Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-11-2015, 00:23   #16

Boat: Oyster 575
Re: Mackay to Brisbane route

Hi Greg and Sue
Thanks for your post - most helpful. I am going to overnight at Hunter Island instead of Percy on your recommendation. I can see from the shape of the reef that its going to be good in the northeasterlies. Alan Lucas also rates it. I don't think i will risk the inside of Fraser as i don't really have the time to research it properly but i can see what you mean that if i time the high tides it should be doable. On your advice i have also been taking a greater interest in the tides and will depart at 5am on the end of the ebb so that i get a full 6 hours of flood tide south. I have found a crew as well - my wifes step father who used to captain a polaris sub for many years lives in Sydney and is flying up tomorrow so all looking good.
Thanks again for your help and i will look out for SV Sunshine. Great name by the way!

Old 11-11-2015, 02:03   #17

Boat: 2004 Lagoon 410S2

Hello yachtjuno,
only to happy to pass information we have gained over the years. To me its part of what makes cruising so great. Just for your info we found that the best approach to the Hunter Island anchorage is to go down between the Lucinda passage between Hunter and Marble Island then come back to the anchorage from the south. There can be some tidal flow but trying to come into the anchorage from the north requires great care due to the shoals and reefs in the area. This is where I have found that the tide changes direction. We came down from Keswick on a rising tide and left on a rising tide but it had changed direction and was rising to the north. If you have a copy of Lucas cruising the coral coast he documents this change in the book from memory.
Enjoy the trip, great fishing at Hunter as well. FYI we were buzzed by Coast Watch who enquired on our journey and home port details. So if you see a low flying plane buzzing you expect a call on channel 16. Also are you aware of the no go area around the military training area of Shoal Bay. Notice to Mariners 304 (If memory serves me right) relates. There is an exclusion zone in place and you must stay a fair way offshore near Townsend Island. The co-ordinates are listed in the NTM. Thirsty Sound Coast Guard can also be contacted on VHF 16 or repeater 81 for the area or for weather reports. Hope this is of some assistance.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:26   #18

Wink Re: Mackay to Brisbane route

In the Brisbane River upstream of the Storey Bridge there are mooring piles,right alongside the Botanical Gardens,with anchoring available some 100m further along,and a wharf for tenders too. There is a cheap fee.forget who payable to,but a really short walk to C.B.D.,in fact,you are there.

Have heard that the fees need to be paid on high floor of a nearby building,and its worth the fees,just to see the view.

Might help.Enjoy.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:36   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtjuno View Post
Hi Greg and Sue
Thanks for your post - most helpful. I am going to overnight at Hunter Island instead of Percy on your recommendation. I can see from the shape of the reef that its going to be good in the northeasterlies. Alan Lucas also rates it. I don't think i will risk the inside of Fraser as i don't really have the time to research it properly but i can see what you mean that if i time the high tides it should be doable. On your advice i have also been taking a greater interest in the tides and will depart at 5am on the end of the ebb so that i get a full 6 hours of flood tide south. I have found a crew as well - my wifes step father who used to captain a polaris sub for many years lives in Sydney and is flying up tomorrow so all looking good.
Thanks again for your help and i will look out for SV Sunshine. Great name by the way!

Great to hear that you managed to get crew

That will make the whole thing a lot easier and allow you to safely do over nighters if necessary.

All the best!
Old 11-11-2015, 03:41   #20

Boat: Lagoon 440

Some good suggestions from the crew so here are our two for you ....

1. If you are going around the outside of Fraser, you could aim for Platypus Bay (near the top of Fraser) for the night instead of Bundaberg. You can then just back-track around the tip of Fraser and then head south for a long day's run to Mooloolaba (which is safe to enter after dark ... though take care if you do it at low tide)

2. In terms of Brisbane marinas, it depends on your plans.

If you leaving the boat for a while, then Rivergate Marina is OK ... but it is noisier, dirtier (you are under a freeway bridge and the flight path) and has the most limited facilities (eg. no food shops or transport but does have repairers etc).

The bigger, better marina is 1.5 hours south of the Brisbane River at the various marinas behind the Manly breakwater. Manly is like a small town with cafes, shops, hotel, weekend market, chandlery, repairers as well as public transport options to city etc. There are a few separate marinas so try them all for a casual berth. Suggest you also call ahead to the coast guard to check the entrance depth as a very low tide might be tight for you. We found the Manly marina prices to be similar to Rivergate.

If you can't find a casual berth at Manly, send me a message .... I think our 70 foot neighbour has gone away for a while.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:42   #21

Boat: FP Lavezzi Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtjuno View Post
I plan to single-hand my 60 foot monohull from Mackay to Brisbane in the next week or so when i get some northerlies. I would appreciate any advice on routing. I saw a thread on this topic in 2009 and wonder if anyone has any new thoughts on routes. Due to single hand i need to do day sails only and would prefer to anchor rather than dock along the way. I need to be in Brisbane by 22nd Nov latest. A good marina in Brisbane would be helpful too. I am looking at Rivergate but it seems a long way from the city. Suggestions greatly appreciated.
We recently completed this trip in late October covering about 550 miles and managed to day sail the whole way. We left at first light every day and dropped the pick before sunset every day except when we went into Bundaberg. We even managed to make it out to Fitzroy Reef. Our itinerary was Curlew Island, Island Head Creek, Great Keppel Islands, Cape Capricorn, Fitzroy Reef, Bundaberg, Kingfisher Bay, Pelican Bay, Mooloolaba and finally Manly (Brisbane) at the Queensland Royal Yacht Squadron marina (recommended). I would favour going straight to Platypus Bay on the northern tip of Fraser Island rather than making the detour to Bundaberg unless you need fuel. We did it in 10 days, but more would be better.

Tags
brisbane, route

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: