Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 23:39   #46

Re: Looking For Info Re; La Paz And/Or Cabo San Lucas Mexico Thank You

ok..i think i figured it out. mainland mexico is corrupt...is that what your saying..violence and corruption are terrible in mainland mexico? thank you. baja sur is a place a guy could get by on $1500/month no problem though right?
elskede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:58   #47

Boat: non now

personally i'd stay away from the mainland. it's just my opinion,but i've lived in mexico for quite some time.i have 2 neighbors,americans,who get by very well on $1500 or less in soc sec.one of them has built a house on my beach over the last 4 or 5 years.the other has a small but nice trailer on the beach just outside of santa rosalia bcs.
scorpio49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:44   #48
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rodlmao. mainland mexico is run by same guys who run baja. the same narcos are in baja who are in mainland mexico. the only difference between mainland and baja is the green scenery in mainland is better than the desert of baja. more shade on mainland. many more varieties of stores and more tiendas. more history and more awesome ruins to cruise thru.
i have been on the mainland in mexico for over a year without problems--my repairs have been very reasonable, and folks are very friendly here... of course, ther eare more mexicans in mainland mexico. baja is mostly tourists and few mexicans.
cabo is very high in price and snob factor. didnt go to la paz. been around baja in a car. i visited a friend with a campo at las paredes, a campo across small water from los encantados, 20 miles north of gonzaga bay. i rv'd in west baja, also, norte and sur. is very congested. all desert. at night the checkpoints are manned by bandidos who wear similar uniforms as military--all black--so dont drive at night. sunset is same time as san diego.
i live fine on less than 500 dollars monthly here in mainland mexico--rents here in this area of mexico are lower than in baja--folks living in houses and apartments here pay around 200-400 dollars monthly--400 is for a palace.--funny thing about that--more touristas in baja than in mainland.
if you refuse to visit mainland mexico, you are not visiting mexico, as baja aint mexico at all..is kali, south, with a mexico city government. yes, same government as baja..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:04   #49

hi solarbi, is the montesorri school something that american kids can goto and if so do they need to be spanish-fluent speaking? my 13 year old is doing great. he go's to school an hour early to participate in extracurricular music (JAZZ BAND) and then stays late a couple hours and plays FOOTBALL. he also get's bussed to the HIGHSCHOOL for his MATH AND SCIENCE classes because there are only 8 kids that take GEOMETRY AND ADVANCED SCIENCE at the middle school. will he suffer down there? or will they recognize his advanced learning and place him accordingly?
also:
the person who posted the 'CLUB CRUCEROS' link....THANK YOU!!! That was a big help with everything from me seeing things that make me feel better...as in...YES, THERE ARE AMERICAN AND CANADIAN folk down there that have a yacht club and help each other acclimate to the 'NEW SOCIETY', and the link for the paperwork is awesome!! whoever posted those 'HELPFUL' links and information regarding what needs to be done did a great job!
okay so, solarbi, will my sons be able to get a good education?
THANKS AGAIN GROUP!~
I am going to IMMERSE our family into a 'SPANISH SPEAKING' course asap...3 months...and were gone....
we have a lot of work to do!
Thx again.
Sincerely;
Stephen. K. R.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:11   #50

i have a quick question...since i just retired and am dead-set on moving to LA PAZ...i need to ask a question that other's may know the answer to.
i have a degenerative bone disease in my left ankle....
i rough it out and basically i 'walk around' on a broken ankle....
that being said i try to ignore it...everyone has problems...
i do what my dr says and take the medication they give me and just go! it doesnt' slow me down. SCREW IT!
however; every month i have several prescriptions that i take.
i see my dr every two or three months and then am given my prescriptions hard copies to take with me for the next three months.
when i move to mexico do i switch to a mexican dr? or what do any of you do? do i ask my american dr for a one year amount of prescriptions?
do i order my medicine from us pharmacy's to be mailed to me?
what do you suggest?
thank you.
Stephen. K. R
Old 12-10-2012, 12:15   #51

meds are simple here in mexico---if you have prescriptions, is easier yet. the only difficulty is for the narcotics and hypnotics and phenytoin(used for epileptics), which NEED scripts, and there is a md in each farmacia so is easy to obtain prescription if you dont have em--is best also , as you have conditions, to bring a copy of your history and physical.
you do not have to suffer the incredible expense of shipping meds from usa. they are same meds, less money here. go generic and is easiest. names are similar. what is not in farmacia will be ordered.

so what you really need is a year script, history and physical, and some meds--there are many farmacias here. before you hand over your script to the farmacia, make sure you have a copy--use that at farmacia instead of the original, but bring both.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:45   #52

thank you for the prescription info. i do take what i think are probably narcotics. i have two meds that are specifically for pain that are a 'controlled substance.' and then basic meds like allergy. sleep. laxitive. muscle relaxer. however the ones for my pain of having a 'denegerative bone disease.' are 'highly regulated narcotics.' so do i bring a 'history' of my condition and at least a year or two of me getting them at the same pharmacy here? then find a new dr down there?
thank you.
this has been a 17 year ordeal for me. as the disease progressed i only had to start taking the POWERFUL narcotics about 3 years ago. so i should have plenty of history to show them when it started and how it's progressed and i don't wanna make this part of my 'sailing/cruising forum' info..however, since there are so many great people here letting me know info i thought i'd bring it up. it's gotta be addressed. thank you again.
please let me know just a tad more info.
then i wanna let this type info not be part of the 'cruiser's' topic. THANK YOU THOUGH SO MUCH.
I appreciate it.
Sincerely;
Stephen K R
Old 12-10-2012, 12:55   #53

Cool Re: Looking For Info Re; La Paz And/Or Cabo San Lucas Mexico Thank You

Also.Since I'm retiring. i'll be drawing my social security. is this a problem living on my sailboat and/or renting a home/or buying in LA PAZ and having my sailboat at the marina....? and what is the name of the marina there?
I did find, at one point, a marina and checked prices...i think it was about $400/month...WOW!~ THAT WAS A SURPRISE! however. I'm also thinking that I'll get a home on the beach. setup a MOORING in the harbour and just skiff back and forth to shore...is this practical?
I've setup mooring's in NORWAY, the US, FLORIDA, and AK before..they are all still there..just fine...
I USE ALL CHAIN....I use the proper anchor. bruce, or danforth..depending on the bottom. then run 30' of heavy chain to a 5gallon bucket filled with cement with a 'corkscrew eye' sticking out of it then run that up to the surface to a mooring ball. ALL CHAIN.
works great.
Please let me know if this idea is okay...i have solar setup on my boat so the battery's stay charged...i got 4 deep cycles. will this work in LA PAZ? and then I'll just take my zodiac or livingston to shore....will it work?
**I KNOW THESE ARE ALL LONG QUESTIONS....THANK YOU SO MUCH**
Sincerely:
Stephen.k.r
Old 12-10-2012, 18:22   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by elskede View Post
i have a quick question...since i just retired and am dead-set on moving to LA PAZ...i need to ask a question that other's may know the answer to.
i have a degenerative bone disease in my left ankle....
i rough it out and basically i 'walk around' on a broken ankle....
that being said i try to ignore it...everyone has problems...
i do what my dr says and take the medication they give me and just go! it doesnt' slow me down. SCREW IT!
however; every month i have several prescriptions that i take.
i see my dr every two or three months and then am given my prescriptions hard copies to take with me for the next three months.
when i move to mexico do i switch to a mexican dr? or what do any of you do? do i ask my american dr for a one year amount of prescriptions?
do i order my medicine from us pharmacy's to be mailed to me?
what do you suggest?
thank you.
Stephen. K. R
I drove Down from NC with a friend that had a bunch of metal in his back from surgery and he took a strong pain pill that cost him $1000.00 US for the persciption a month,I told him he could get it in Mex. for less ,we got there and a few weeks later he had to fly home because he was dependent on the medication and could not get it there...Doctor didnt know what it was either...Not as easy to get stuff like that as some would think...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 05:54   #55

social security income is receivable anywhere there is usps delivery. funny how there is that in mexico..technically.

need always to know names pf meds--important thing--also is important to know what those meds actually do for and to ye. might want to have a list of meds and actions on your person...can help with the search fro unusual meds--there are many here that are not used in usa--sublingual toradol, a good anti inflammatory agent is used here with excellent results. next stronger med for inflammation is prednisone. there are the special prescription meds also, but those NEED a prescription.
your dink set up sounds like it will work. there are anchorages and moorings there, but i dont know the layout there. puerto escondido is also near to la paz, and has a set up that will work for ye...is just north of la paz. there is a haul yard there also, and a marina. might wanna google these places and look up on google earth....googling the area will also find you th e 3 marinas in la paz and the one in puerto escondido an d any other place you may wish to visit, or not.....and do not forget paper charts....
Old 13-10-2012, 07:55   #56

thanks again zeehag. when we get there and liveaboard how do we get our internet and cell phone? how much a month?
thx.
stephen.k.r
Old 13-10-2012, 09:12   #57

Quote:
If I sail down..which it's 50/50 weather I sail or drive....if i SAIL...from seattle...any recommendations on ports to stop at for provisions....and if I drive then I'm going to change all my hoses and belts on my truck. that way I'll have the old ones for back up's...*know on wood.....in case I need them and that also mean's i'd just done the maintenance...MYSELF within a couple month's so if im in the desert and it happens that i need to i can quickly change them because it will still be in my head/mind/hands of what i did before i left.
okay. thank you.
stephen k r
Sailing from Seattle is a big undertaking for sure. Big water etc. (not to mention the window for this year has pretty much closed for the sane) If you do so you will likely end up in San Diego refitting a bunch of stuff! I think if you can trailer it down it's a great way to go.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 11:37   #58

google launch ramps in baja, gulf of california --only ones i know from border in east side baja are in san felipe and puertocitos... other side of golfo is san carlos/guaymas--is less espensive there than the puertocitos side. those rents were 1200 in 2004. then nothing until gonzaga bay, and the road is rough and unpaved, as of 2006, last time i was there(i went there by car a buncha times for a while)....
Old 13-10-2012, 11:48   #59

Quote:
Also.Since I'm retiring. i'll be drawing my social security. is this a problem living on my sailboat and/or renting a home/or buying in LA PAZ and having my sailboat at the marina....? <snip>
Social Security can be very helpful in solving these issues...
EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 12:25   #60

in the tiny teeny fine print , i read that if you are able to receive usps mail delivery, is ok,
besides nowadays there is automatic deposit--you have a usa bank. you keep that usa bank. you get money monthly if you qualify. many folks downhere who are expats are va benefits recipients and/or ssdi or ssi recipients..

Tags
Mexico