Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 12:28   #1

Looking For Info Re; La Paz And/Or Cabo San Lucas Mexico Thank You

Hello looking for info re; la paz , or cabo san lucas, mexico.....my plan is to leave as soon as possible on my sailboat and to head down there and retire...what can anyone tellme about the area?? I did read a post where there was a member that just left to come home from la paz in april....if i could swing it i may buy a $50.k home and do liveaboard....or ????? How's the safety aspect and is it a place where people such as myself, who are used to being in a country that has basic things like internet, gas available. And food and milk around the corner at 711....just wanna know if these things are available in la paz and/or cabo san lucas? Thank you. Last note: do you think there is any time of year that may propose a problem with weather on any certain time of year 'not to leave.'
elskede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:39   #2

Boat: Seafarer 38
Your best bet is to visit and see how it feels. Moving somewhere unfamiliar site unseen is a bit wild in my view. Cabo San Lucas is not a place I would want to live, though San Juan is very nice and the surrounding area is nice as well. La Paz is a modern city in a country that is slightly less developed than the USA. All said, there is no way to know how comfortable you would be in either place without visiting. Sailing down the coast is weather dependent. We left in February, which is considered late in the season. The Baja HaHa leaves much earlier and would be worth a look if you are doing that trip. It isn't a trip I would want to make singlehanded, though I don't know your situation, I would want a second or third person on the boat. Also everyone needs to be able to run the boat and take night watches.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 13:13   #3

Thumbs up re: Looking For Info Re; La Paz And/Or Cabo San Lucas Mexico Thank You

Thank you. I have two 100% mate's. 10 and 13 yrs old . They both 'learned to walk on the boat.' for andinstance...we cruise all summer. When we go through the ballard locks if your familiar with that...i stand and supervise as they run the boat. They are 100% seaworthy and capable. I was planing on taking on another person for crew if i meet the 'right' person that wan'ts to head south. So what you are saying is la paz is better than cabo san lucas....but 'san juan' is even better? Where is san juan in relation to la paz? Let me know if im understanding you correctly... I do know wind/weather wise there are certain ' best times to head south ' in your opinion, when is it best? And i've heard of a certain time when the baja ha ha takes off as a team....but don't know anything about it...when is this and where do i find info for this coming year? Thank you very much....stephen (stef'an)
Old 03-10-2012, 13:35   #4

Boat: Seafarer 38
San Juan Del Cabo is next door to Cabo San Lucas. It isn't 'better' than La Paz, though I prefer it to Cabo San Lucas. There is a marina in San Jose Del Cabo, but no good anchorage. The anchorage in Cabo is not great. The anchorage in La Paz is famous for boats dragging as well. The Haha has a website with all of the information you need: http://www.baja-haha.com/
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 13:58   #5

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380
re: Looking For Info Re; La Paz And/Or Cabo San Lucas Mexico Thank You

I think the other poster meant San Jose del Cabo, which is a few miles from Cabo San Lucas. Personally, I think either would be fine to live in. All of southern Baja is very safe, at least compared to the rest of Mexico and most larger cities in the US. You can rent apartments in those cities for $500/month or so, and that would be a good way to determine if you wanted to live there.
Old 03-10-2012, 14:15   #6

thank you gentleman for your reply's..it means a lot to me...i have journeyed all around the world. my last trip was to sell everything but 12 suitcases, pack up my two young boys and move from BELLINGHAM WA to the other side of the US to FLORIDA....had a boat waiting for me when i got there....I may drive my truck n camper and tow a boat i never thought i'd own...a macgregor (FLIMSLY MADE BOAT) however, now that i've gotten on in age i see the benefit of having the option of having speed when i need it and to just putt around at 3 knot's when i don't....which is what i like...but when i gotta get my kids home for school it's sure a nice, convenient option for me to think....'wow', i could lay around on the hook for another 5 hr's....then fire up the 50hp and be home in an hr....rather than sail all day....i checked it out..i can take I-5 ALL THE WAY SOUTH TO I 805 AND KEEP HEADING SOUTH THEN WIND UP IN LA PAZ....and for $50k get a home....however...i don't have $50k anymore....i do haver about $15k.... i wonder if they would give me a loan and i definately will have my boat, truck and camper if i tow one down...so either way...i could just take it slow and rebuild into my new life of retirement....what do you, who have been there before.....think? my plan is to sail as much as possible...enjoy life and have a small apt or home on land near the marina....wich is what i have always had my whole life....however...im tired of living here in 'seattle' , which i love, but my arthritis is killing me with the weather from october till april...so im thinking why not check out the beautiful south on a fixed income of $1000/month or so....any input appreciated and respected. thank you. stephen kenneth
Old 03-10-2012, 16:44   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Stephen,
Check out Club Cruceros for La Paz info.

Club Cruceros de La Paz - Home

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 17:37   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by elskede View Post
MY PLAN IS TO LEAVE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE ON MY SAILBOAT AND TO HEAD DOWN THERE AND RETIRE...
I hope by "as soon as possible" you don't mean next week. We're right in the thick of the hurricane season. You might want to delay things until Halloween.
Old 03-10-2012, 23:29   #9

thank you ill check out the link...much appreciated. SKR
Old 04-10-2012, 00:15   #10

Re: Looking For Info Re; La Paz And/Or Cabo San Lucas Mexico Thank You

Engele, azsailor senormechanico and bash...thank you so much for your quick input and invaluable info...i appreciate it from the bottom of my heart...as far as anchorage..i setup an anchorage in norway in '93...in an area famous for dragging...because of the rock/bed....what we did is scuba dive...put out a huge anchor with 48' of chain...then we lowered a 5gallon bucket with an auger implanted in cemented and from there we ran another bunch of all chain to the surface to the mooring buoy...im sure...to this day it's still within the bay...i gotta call my cousin now that i think about it and find out...thx for the warning though. I will definately be anchoring her at a mooring buoy regardless if i get an apt or house after checking out the prices of the marinas!!! My gosh!!! They want $405!!! For a 30'!!! Is that u.s.dollars???? Or am i missing something??? Maybe im reading it wrong..but the website for the marina down the street from where i found houses for $40k or so costs' over twice as much as my marina here in seattle....what's that all about....doe's anyone know if im retarded or is that how it works? Thank you again to everyone who posted and gave me advice...i've checked it all on a once over and saved it as invaluable for my future move which i hope is 'sooner rather than later. Hope to hear any more info you can dig up or if anyone has any first hand knowledge let me know...if it's okay i'd like to post the listings of homes im looking at and see if anyone is familiar with the neighborhoods they are in...i have a 10 and 13 year old sons...thx again. To explain better im a sailor looking to retire: i hope this isn't against policy....i am not. A realtor and am not. Selling anything. I am posting this listing site only for anyone who has experience in la paz or the surrounding area to look at and give me advice.
search properties in la paz, la ventana, todos santos, la ribera, los barriles, cabo pulmo, and the whole east cape
I have about $14k and a bunch of other stuff to unload before we leave sailing south..so it may tip out to $20k..(before the bubble i had two houses paid for cash in seattle) but a divorce and a disease/death of kids mom took care of that....ok..so i wanna retire and move to la paz and/or somewhere....whrever i can be safe/secure and my kids will flourish...we will probably do private school or homeshcool? That's another question...so here's the website...please look at these homes in the $0.99 up to $50k range...i will only have about $14k to put down...does anyone know if i have that amount can i get a loan outside the country with verifiable income/retirement and good credit? I do have a ton of collaterall....trailer/camper/truck/chevy nova antique/boat's/motorvycle etc etc...but im thinking of just dumping everything and starting fresh.....less is better at this point...and im tired of paying insurance on everything....for 30 years and i'd rather just pack up the kids...the boat and go...i've already switched to solar on my boat...got the genset n a bunch of deepcycles and she's setup with blue water rigging...im gone already.....i do have a double axle trailer in my front yard...maybe ill just tow her down...i've googled it and it's only 40 hrs that way and i already got the truck...that may be what i should do.....any input would be helpfull. Again..gnight....skr
Old 04-10-2012, 01:17   #11

Hello: It's Been A Long Day..I Get Up At 55oam Every Morning To Get Kids Off To School....Then I Work At The Marina Till Whenever I Drop....Tonight I Also Worked On My Nova....A Little Antique I Picked Up For My Kids To Learn To Drive On...Anyways I Gotta Get To Bed...After My Last Post I Mentioned That Maybe I'll Trailer My Sailboat Down To La Paz....The More I Think About It That May Be The Best Option...So If I Did 'Drive.' What Is Your Input On The Best Route.....Google Maps Gave Me Two Options...One Split's Off From The Other About Where 'Baja California' Starts...Because Of The Scarry News Stories Coming Out Of Mexico...I Am Thinking That The Baja Way Would Be The Best...Stay Away From The 'Tourist' Locations Or Am I Wrong???? Also..Is There Fuel Along The Way? I Have A Ford F250 With Twin Tanks And I Gotta Camper....So I Got A Little Home On Wheels And Will Tow The Boat If This Is My Way To Go...Rather Than Sail Down....So What Im Wondering Is For Anyones Input....Would You Sail Or Get In...And Drive And Then Just Be Done With It And Have The Boat There....In La Paz And Have A Nice Beautiful Relaxing Place To Enjoy The Weather And Fresh Ocean Breeze And Go From There Around On Little Trips Like I Do Here In The Puget Sound.....??? And If I Do Drive...How Do I Know If I Drive Down The Coast Of Baja If There Are Gas Stations?"?"?
Again; Many Many Thanks....Goodnight...All Of You Who Replied;... 'It Really Means A Lot To Me.' Thank You.
Also..I Was Wondering If Any Of You Are In Or Have Lived In Or Around La Paz, Or Surrounding Area Before?? Thx
Old 04-10-2012, 01:21   #12

Oh Yeah...Here's The Route Google Map Came Up With ..... There Are Two Different Ways To Go...One Go's On The 'Mainland' And One Go's On The 'Baja' Side....I'm Thinking The Baja Side Is Best....But What Would You Do??? Thanks For Any Input Upfront...And Thank You For Taking The Time To Help A Guy Make A Very Big Decision In His Life.
https://maps.google.com/maps?aq=f&q=...ie=UTF-8&hl=en
Gnight.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:29   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Elskede, please don't post in all caps LIKE THIS. All capital letters is considered shouting.

Please take a little time and write normally -- start your sentences with capital letters, and use small ones in between. Thank you.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:52   #14

doickhead im sorry.... im new to all of this......

roger..............dodger......................... ...............
gotcha....................
thank you...................
unbelievable...................
ha ha ha ha ha.............................
sincerely;
SKR (my initials, not shouting)
im norwegian so can i use this? thank you
Old 04-10-2012, 06:50   #15

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
I did the Baja Hah last year and spent the rest of he winter down in Mexico. I am getting ready to head back down to my boat by the end of his month.
Here's what I learned. Cabo San Lucas is CRAZY. Jet skis buzzing all over the anchorage. Las Vegas style crazy town. Would NEVER live there!
La Paz is a nice little city. The cruisers net is wonderful. There is a free Montessori school a short walk from Marina De La Paz. The winter weather can keep you "stuck" in La Paz for quite longer than you wish. The anchorage is famous for boats dragging ( the La Paz waltz).
Being in La Paz from Mid November through mid December last year, I watched my girlfriend spend her days wearing her entire winter ski suit on board... It was COLD!!!
I wanted to see her in a Bikini... So we crossed the sea to Mazatlan, and headed south to Bandras Bay. Puerto Vallarta. La Cruz. Punta de Mita.
Same free schooling. Very safe feeling. MUCH warmer. Whales giving birth. Great protected sailing.
My trailerable cat is living on its trailer in San Carlos. Cheap. $75 per month.
Do it!
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico