Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 10:50   #1

Leaving Seattle Monday headed to Victoria!

Headed to Victoria Canada next week and was just hoping for some advice re navigating Canadian Customs in Victoria. This will be my first trip to Victoria by boat and we are very excited!

I’ve read the info on the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority’s info as well as the NWboatinfo.com customs page. Also I’ve checked out the Canada Border Services Agency website as well but was wondering if anyone had some tips or recommendations that may be helpful to us as well.

Also, would love to hear of good places to go while we are there. Any and all comments welcome!

Thanks
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Leaving Seattle Monday headed to Victoria!

A few years ago around Christmas time we pulled into Victoria, from Friday Harbor. We didn't have NEXUS, just our passports, and it went very smoothly. We tied up at the customs dock just up from the marina in front of the Empress Hotel, and I picked up the phone in the yellow box. I needed passport #s for all people on the boat, and their full names and dates of birth (and perhaps a bit more, but it's all on the passports). A few minutes later we were cleared in, and we shifted to the marina (where we had a reservation).

When in Victoria we enjoy visiting the big museum, and Beacon Hill park. And just walking around town.

A few days later we had a cold and windy trip back, dodging logs in the waves and snow. Dress warmly with good gloves!
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:25   #3

Thanks Paul. We hope to stay at the Empress as well. I was just perusing the site for reservations at the Causeway Marina and since our arrival date is going to depend on the weather we might have to wing it with the reservation or call on our way access the straight.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:32   #4

Why not just boot it to Sidney? Nice marina there,very few bums, easy bus to downtown Victoria for a couple bucks....may make for smoother trip minimizing time in Juan de Fuca. I do like staying in Victoria in warmer months though.
I'm assuming you are in Puget Sound?
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:35   #5

Boat: 1978 Philbrooks Fast Passage 39

I spent Christmas at my brother's in Victoria, and went for a midnight walk along the harbour. There were a few new boats at the marina, but still lots of space, so you should have no trouble finding a spot. If they are full, there are a few other marinas around the harbour that are still within walking distance of downtown. Enjoy!
sgwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:48   #6

Boat: Hunter 386

The GVHA crew is pretty slack during the off season. I would definitely call the office during business hours as there is no likelihood of finding staff on the docks. And the gates all are locked in the winter months as liveaboards are taking advantage of their winter program.
Old 09-01-2019, 13:00   #7

Hi Eder. I was told it might be easier to just hop over to Victoria rather than deal with the narrows and currents this time of year. Please advise if that’s untrue. I’ve been watching the Windy app and the wind and wave conditions have looked very promising. Much much better than the last few weeks of storm systems that have been passing through the area.
Old 09-01-2019, 14:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwright View Post
I spent Christmas at my brother's in Victoria, and went for a midnight walk along the harbour. There were a few new boats at the marina, but still lots of space, so you should have no trouble finding a spot. If they are full, there are a few other marinas around the harbour that are still within walking distance of downtown. Enjoy!

Sounds promising! Thanks.
Old 09-01-2019, 14:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
The GVHA crew is pretty slack during the off season. I would definitely call the office during business hours as there is no likelihood of finding staff on the docks. And the gates all are locked in the winter months as liveaboards are taking advantage of their winter program.
We will definitely try to get in touch with them after we depart from the US. I am assuming the place won’t be very busy this time of year but I’ve assumed things before that didn’t work out so good. ; )
Old 09-01-2019, 14:25   #10

Well it looks good in the next week to go to either place.There's currents in both destinations nothing your Bene will complain about.

Its just Sidney is much more sheltered route, esp if you go to Friday Harbour then hop across to Sidney and it can be a bit less nautical than going to Victoria.

Either way have fun.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 14:38   #11

Boat: Catalina 36

I use deepzoom.com for currents on planned route. Ports and passages is good in BC. I’m in Everett and prefer to go up inside and pop out at deception. Not bad from there to Sidney
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 15:22   #12

Boat: Outbound 44

Make sure you don't have an excess of beer,wine or liquor onboard when you clear in. They are picky about this and limits per person are low.
Old 09-01-2019, 15:42   #13

I would check before you depart. There probably is some visitor space but a lot of boats winter there it may be full up.

I would second the recommendation to stop in Sydney and clear customs in Sydney.
Depends on time you have available. Roche Harbour to Sydney is a pleasant 3 to 4 hr trip reasonably sheltered. It’s a day sail from Sydney To Victoria.
You want to get to Sydney by 1700 or the gates are closed. Or call and arrange a berth with a security card left out. There is a dock to call customs from. In the off season I have just stayed on it after asking,
There are customs docks at Canoe Cove as well.
The town of Sydney is quite pleasant I like the Town Marina as a stop with a short walk to everything.

Friday Harbour, Roche Harbour, Rosario, are nice stops on route.

Alternatively. Port Townsend to Victoria is a fair ways of relatively open water. With quite strong currents. Roche Harbour then across is much more sheltered.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 15:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
Well it looks good in the next week to go to either place.There's currents in both destinations nothing your Bene will complain about.

Its just Sidney is much more sheltered route, esp if you go to Friday Harbour then hop across to Sidney and it can be a bit less nautical than going to Victoria.

Either way have fun.
Understood Eder. Much appreciated!
Old 09-01-2019, 16:26   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat36Mahalo View Post
I use deepzoom.com for currents on planned route. Ports and passages is good in BC. I’m in Everett and prefer to go up inside and pop out at deception. Not bad from there to Sidney
DeepZoom is pretty slick. Thanks!

Tags
head, seattle