Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2011, 11:55   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Leaving San Diego for Mexico in February ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
According to NOAA,the present La Nina is weakening early this spring followed by a neutral period before predicted strong El Nino begins.
as they were calling this an el nino all year, i dont understand this ...lol... so we will have 5 yrs of bad kids weather .... will be sooo much fun to sail long passages for a while. smooth sailing, all. perhaps the norm kis now bad kids, male or female, alternatively..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 13:52   #32

Boat: Sceptre 41

IT is a good practice to listen to the SSB now as practice to tunning and marking down where the weather is and what patterns are coming down. I know it is frightening (having done it myself) but it isn't a Cape Horn trip. Try and find jumps that will allow you to be in and anchored before nightfall. Practice up on your radar skills. Try and find the big map that has GPS points from post #3. Verify your position from more then one source (e.g. radar, chart, and depth sounder) and everything should be fine. Remember that there is a lot of current so be sure to watch for cross track error on your GPS. This will prevent you from ending up on a reef or the beach. Study up on Charlie's Charts, Pat Rains' book on the West coast of Mexico, The Baja Bash, and look for websites/blogs about the trip. You need to watch out for Sacramento Reef. If you are careful and don't push hard things should go well. One piece of advice that I thought was really good on overnight passages was to head out on the offshore tack early in the morning. Keep on going out to the point that when you head back to shore you will make landfall around noon. The logic behind this is that you will be making a daylight landfall even if you are early or late.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 15:31   #33

Boat: Seafarer 38

Thank you everyone. Your comments are helpful.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 10:19   #34

engele--many bespoke to me of dangers on my way and others said nonchalantly that is all downhill and my masts are strong.
i was warned of northers i am now seeing and feeling, but didnt feel or know onmy trip south. i also was warned of HUGE WINDS off baja---lol-- found one just north of cabo san lucas. might wanna pass thru there reefed to hilt.... was threatened with a good time crossing sea of cortez, also didnt happen as we motored all the way acros son glassy seas. this is april. might be a lil funner fo rye-- be safe and have a great sail. check into ensenada first so you dont have to go thru hoops in every place visited---only port cpt office from initial check in onward. smooth sailing. tell us of your adventures and how they differed from what was prewarned to ye!!!
\
just beware of pnw storms before you hit ensenada and bahia tortugas.

remember--is all downhill, so it cant be so bad....LOL

premark emergency stops so you arent surprised too much.
Old 23-01-2012, 10:55   #35

Boat: N/A

Hello, I'm looking to crew on a sailboat going down to Mexico. Anyone need an extra hand? I have some experience sailing, but I am looking for more, and I am not expecting to be paid (I can even contribute towards some food and gas costs) and I'm an excellent cook. Please let me know. I am not currently in California but I can be out there in a couple weeks and then I'm ready to go whenever.

Thanks,
Annie
BanjoBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 23:33   #36

We are now in San Diego. The boat is floating on her own and the mast goes on tomorrow. There is still much to do and the pressure isn't going away any time soon yet, but we are closer to our goal. Forecasts have looked okay.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:53   #37

Cool.... Keep crossing things off the list! Soon, you'll be to the phase where you say.."do I really need to reinvent that to go cruising?, Nah.. I'll just cross it off the list!"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:17   #38

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBird View Post
Hello, I'm looking to crew on a sailboat going down to Mexico. Anyone need an extra hand? I have some experience sailing, but I am looking for more, and I am not expecting to be paid (I can even contribute towards some food and gas costs) and I'm an excellent cook. Please let me know. I am not currently in California but I can be out there in a couple weeks and then I'm ready to go whenever.

Thanks,
Annie
Now that is the right attitude. Ready at the drop of a hat and willing to have no cost impact. I have spent a lot of time in the Sea of Cortez, half way up to Bahia Concepcion, the bay within a bay near Mulege and just love it there. Good luck getting a crew spot and enjoy. If I was headed out, I'd give you a call because I've never been a fan of the 20 minute cat naps when doing a passage solo.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 14:30   #39

seems there are reports of a canadian family rescued on their way to puerto vallarta, in the pacific-- they were sailing here hen i was-- i didnt find much weather--on contrary, i found no wind. once one leaves pnw, weather isnt as terrorizing as is there---make sure your parts are strong and com eon down. i am now in la cruz, banderas bay. puerto vallarta is 14 miles from me inside this same bay.
keep an eye out for fishing nets, as they are treacherous to propulsion of boats headed south. i caught some net in my prop-- got a small vibration--may have picked it up in nighttime, when is hard to see them.
be safe and pay attention to all floating objects--if it looks like a bottle, might just be a net.
Old 10-02-2012, 16:31   #40

as yes, La Cruz... Tried to get my Father In Law's dislocated thumb reset there once. He jumped out of the dingy when we beached in the surf. I told him to stay put. Still have the great Cabrilla cooking in naranja there?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 13:18   #41

dunno about the cabrilla cooking-- but there are some reasonably priced eateries and many overpriced ones.. marina is overpriced, but i have work in progress,....
Old 12-02-2012, 18:19   #42

Our mast is stepped, canvass on, charts and cruising guides purchased, and now I need to find another solar panel an we will be on our way. Should be soon now.
Old 14-02-2012, 11:55   #43

solar panels can be found used here in mexico for decent pricing--i found 3 bp 3 amp rated ones for 50 dollars(500 pesos) with mppt controller....just a thought.
Old 14-02-2012, 18:57   #44

Thanks Zee. I found 150w of nominal 12s from another sailor. We are basically set for Thursday. Finally we are closer to our goal.
Old 15-02-2012, 16:03   #45

awesome-- dont let the naysayers get ye down--weather windows rock!!!

Tags
Mexico, san diego