Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-08-2010, 09:30   #1

Boat: Victoria 38 (known as Morris 38 in US)
Leaving a Boat in the S. Pacific

I'm doing a bit of early research on a S Pacific cruise. Is there anywhere to leave a boat in safety afloat or ashore during the cyclone season? I mean for an extended period, say 3/4 months while I come back to Europe.
Or do you have to make the trip down to NZ?

thanks

Old 22-08-2010, 09:56   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Neiafu, Tonga has some hurricane moorings. But I don't know how you would know for certain which is which.

Nice area. Poor air transport. great protected cruising area till a cyclone hits and then the bay is well protected and fine if you are on one of the good moorings.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 10:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
In Fiji they can haul your boat out of the water and put it in a hole for the duration of hurricane season at Vunda Point. The odds are that it would be safe there from a cyclone. Safe from theives is another question.

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 10:29   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
In Fiji they can haul your boat out of the water and put it in a hole for the duration of hurricane season at Vunda Point. The odds are that it would be safe there from a cyclone. Safe from theives is another question.
What happens when the hole fills with water from the torrential rainfall accompanying the typhoon? Or are you talking about a hole large enough to accommodate many vessels? If so (and I recognize the possibility of perhaps avoiding the worst of the wind in a deep enough depression), isn't storage in such a hole little different than storing on the hard anywhere else?
Old 22-08-2010, 13:08   #5

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
The security at Vuda is excellent. In 2 years there I was never aware of any theft or vandalism. The holes are drained so don't fill up and they are a lot more secure than hardstand with props as they reduce the windage and no worries about the props washing away in the rain. The cyclone that passed over Vuda last December caused some minor damage to boats in the water and none to properly prepared boats on the land.

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 13:10   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for clarifying that, Pete . . . makes more sense to me, now.

TaoJones
Old 22-08-2010, 13:29   #7

How exactly does that work? They dig a hole and put the boat with cradle into it?
Old 22-08-2010, 17:49   #8

Boat: Mason 53
G'Mates. Vuda (pronounced Vunda) doesn't use cradles when they put you in a hole. Last time I was up there, they fit your boat to one of the their predug holes, lower you in and use tires around the hull for wedges to the side of the hole. Lots of cruisers do it every year with no problems Also, heaps of reasonable priced yards here in New Zealand to store the boat. Have done it many times. FYI, current price of 4 liters of good, ablative anitfoul is $110 USD. Cheers.
Old 22-08-2010, 18:16   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day all,

In case it hasn't become clear, at Vuda Pt.the hole is only for the keel, not the whole hull. Besides security, other hazards are mold and cockies/mice/rats. With some lead time, hardstand storage is available in Noumea at Nouvelle Plaisance, and there are numerous places along the east coast of Oz.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Great Keppel Is, Qld, Oz
Old 23-08-2010, 06:35   #10

Boat: Able 50
There are cyclone moorings in the inner harbour of Port Vila and a couple of boatyards in Noumea. Is Australia too far ? It is only 6 - 7 days sail from New Caledonia. If not, there are marinas and moorings up the river in both Cairns and Bundaberg.

There are planes to Sydney every day from all four of those ports and from Cairns to several Asian airports (Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan) where you would change flights for Europe.
Old 23-08-2010, 07:07   #11

Boat: custom built aluminium, 60ft - FAST FORWARD
New Zealand has good yards too (and cheaper than Aus), we used Norsand Boatyard in Whangarei.... friends left their boat on the hard in Tahiti for 6 months. In the ground at Vuda Point Marina is also a good option.
Old 23-08-2010, 07:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post
G'Mates. Vuda (pronounced Vunda) doesn't use cradles when they put you in a hole. Last time I was up there, they fit your boat to one of the their predug holes, lower you in and use tires around the hull for wedges to the side of the hole. Lots of cruisers do it every year with no problems Also, heaps of reasonable priced yards here in New Zealand to store the boat. Have done it many times. FYI, current price of 4 liters of good, ablative anitfoul is $110 USD. Cheers.
Thanks. I never would have thought of that....and they have drain channels for the holes, I guess to keep them from filling and popping the boat over?

What about the stick? Leave it up? Tie it down to the deck or put it on the ground?
Old 23-08-2010, 17:00   #13

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, Mates. Most people who haul at Vuda leave the mast up. Tonga and Northern Fiji got hit during last year's cyclone season, but Vuda barely got touched. I don't recall anyone using guy ropes or wires to further secure the masts, but its' been a couple of years. Cheers.
Old 23-08-2010, 17:32   #14

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post
Tonga and Northern Fiji got hit during last year's cyclone season, but Vuda barely got touched.
Slight clarification, Vuda experienced the wall of cyclone Mick last December with highest gust I recorded of 94 knots. The system passed very quickly fortunately. Some bumps & scrapes for boats in the water (including us) and the worst for the boats in the holes was some torn tarps.

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:27   #15

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Slight clarification, Vuda experienced the wall of cyclone Mick last December with highest gust I recorded of 94 knots. The system passed very quickly fortunately. Some bumps & scrapes for boats in the water (including us) and the worst for the boats in the holes was some torn tarps.

We arrived at Vuda Pt a couple of days after Mick hit and were impressed with how well the yachts had weathered the cyclone in the "holes". Really impressive system.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: