Who is you?? The worst predictions of the lows dominating with the El Nino seems to be coming true. I was planning on leaving this month for Kona but the winds have been anything but cooperative. Since this thread started, there have been almost none of the reliable nw winds on the west coast
. The lows just keep marching west which means a lot of southerly winds along the coast with weak variable winds following and then short periods of very strong winds. The winds further south have been very light, still mostly from the east but they've been awfully flukey with occasional winds from all directions.
It looks like the danger
is not having favorable winds to make the dive south to get out of the storm zone along the California
lattitudes. With light and/or southerly winds, there is a good chance of not making enough southing before the next low blows nasty weather
I've decided to hold off making the passage
till things have a chance to shake out a bit. Got some commitments that my wife has thrown on me until mid February so will reevaluate after that. If I was going to go now, had thought about making a leasurely trip down the coast to San Diego
in short hops. That would make it easy to dodge weather and not test my limited fuel
supply if I had to motor
. I would rather make the trip to Kona in one hop because of time commitments and there just doesn't seem to be much of a reliable window to make that possible now.
Looking at PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers
There are favorable winds today but a real stinker of a storm is forecast
to hit by Tuesday with another low passing through before then.