Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2016, 20:24   #1

Keeping an Aussie boat in NZ

I'm exploring the possibility of shipping my yacht to NZ from the Med or Caribbean

What are the rules for keeping Aussie registered yachts in NZ? How long can they remain there before perhaps having to be "imported"?

Whats the likely customs/quarantine costs on arrival?
Old 28-01-2016, 21:59   #2

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Keeping an Aussie boat in NZ

Contact these guys, who will no doubt, refer you to the website :-D
Welcome to Immigration New Zealand in Sydney
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 21:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Contact these guys, who will no doubt, refer you to the website :-D
Welcome to Immigration New Zealand in Sydney
Thanks, but immigration is not exactly right for the boat

I did find on their customs pages some good info. Looks like you can be granted a temporary import of 24 months. The page only talks about boats arriving on their own bottom, but hopefully it's just a case of needing to fill in some different forms and jump through different hoops to achieve the same outcome when arriving by ship.

New Zealand Customs Service : Yachts & small craft
Old 29-01-2016, 21:27   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

fwiw, hoppy, some friends of ours shipped from Panama to Tahiti, then rejoined the boat for the milk run to Oz with their kids. There is a provision in French Polynesia that will allow the vessel to be there for 3 yrs., but I personally don't know the restrictions. The fees (except for berthing, of course) in NZ are mild in the extreme, under $100.

ann
Old 29-01-2016, 21:56   #5

Depending on what trade deals are in place, there may be no import duties. I know in the case of aus that any USA built boats can be imported without duties. Thats not the case for frog boats coming to aus though. If the fees are minimal, you may find it easier to register it in NZ and simply pay your annual rego. Either that or leave it in Fiji or New Cal instead.
Old 29-01-2016, 22:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Depending on what trade deals are in place, there may be no import duties. I know in the case of aus that any USA built boats can be imported without duties. Thats not the case for frog boats coming to aus though. If the fees are minimal, you may find it easier to register it in NZ and simply pay your annual rego. Either that or leave it in Fiji or New Cal instead.
An Aussie flying a Kiwi flag, no never

I'm just thinking about NZ as a temporary place to keep my boat. Somewhere I can get to relatively quickly and cheaply from Melbourne and that can be a launchpad for the final arrival and import into Aus perhaps over a couple of seasons. Might be handy that I won't get hit by shipping costs and import duties/GST in the same year

Tahiti is another option...
Old 29-01-2016, 23:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post

I'm just thinking about NZ as a temporary place to keep my boat. Somewhere I can get to relatively quickly and cheaply from Melbourne and that can be a launchpad for the final arrival and import into Aus perhaps over a couple of seasons. Might be handy that I won't get hit by shipping costs and import duties/GST in the same year

Hmm.. Re that kiwi flag. If you wait a few more years they might all be over here getting our dole and you can have the entire north island to yourself You could even rename it and have your own flag.

With no more intended insults to the kiwis, frankly I would rather leave my boat in Fiji.. Its still a cheap flight away and nicer weather. Obviously you would have to prep in cyclone season, but plenty of other boats do it.
Old 30-01-2016, 02:27   #8
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post

Is it true that even if you only intend on bringing your boat to Oz for a few months (and then leave Oz waters sailing elsewhere) that if you are an Oz CITIZEN then you will be charged the 10% GST & 5% Import Duty immediately???

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 30-01-2016, 03:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOT View Post
Is it true that even if you only intend on bringing your boat to Oz for a few months (and then leave Oz waters sailing elsewhere) that if you are an Oz CITIZEN then you will be charged the 10% GST & 5% Import Duty immediately???

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
No, I'm thinking about having the boat in Kiwiland for a short period of time and then eventually importing into Aus and then paying the GST.

On the GST/Duty topic, it is not based on citizenship but residence that determines liability. If you have an Aussie passport you will have to work harder at proving that you are not a resident to get the GST/Duty exemption
Old 30-01-2016, 09:45   #10

Are you an Aussie or a Kiwi citizen?
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 10:36   #11

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )

Hi There
I've been looking into this issue for a year or two now. I have my yacht in New Zealand and I am also an Australian. The cheapest option seems to be to register my yacht in Australia even though my vessel lives in NZ. I am lucky the vessel was previously resisted in NZ. In due course I intend to take the vessel to Aussie and pay the taxes so I can sail around the country. The main issue with the aussie import is to find a surveyor who will give you a friendly valuation which the taxes will be paid on.
Raymond
ski69sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 12:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Are you an Aussie or a Kiwi citizen?
Aussie.... and Swedish
Old 30-01-2016, 12:54   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 54

Hi, It's worth talking to customs to discuss depreciation. I have talked to customs in NZ and they will allow me to import my boat based on the original cost and depreciate it each year to come to a final value. Which makes a huge difference and saves the surveyor valuation problem. Also for ski69sail you should be able to claim the GSt back from NZ on your boat when you take it to Australia. As long as the GST was paid in NZ or you bought it second hand . Glenn
watevaworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 15:10   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

we just send the convicts where they feel @ home :-)
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 16:50   #15

Boat: Leopard 39

I bought a previous yacht (a Cavalier 39) in New Zealand and sailed her back to Australia where I was required to pay the GST of 10% (import from NZ did not attract duty).
Customs (in Bundaberg) were quite helpful in reducing the value of the yacht by the costs involved in sailing her to Australia - air fares, food, charts, safety equipment, etc. I registered her as an Australian yacht while in NZ to avoid some ridiculous regulations that would apply to NZ yachts (I would, for example) have been required to put a toe-catching eye-bolt in the middle of the cockpit for safety harness attachment)
velella15 is offline   Reply With Quote