Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 12:19   #1
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Is it Safe to Cruise Mexico ?

In today's edition of 'Lectronic Latitude, the editor responds to a potential cruiser's concerns about cruising Mexico for the first time. Some valuable first-hand points are provided in the response, and anyone contemplating cruising Mexico for the first time should find it informative:
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Understandable Fears: Safety In Mexico

"October 1, 2007 – About To Head South

" 'I'm planning to to take my family to Cabo on our very expensive yacht,' writes Brian Littlefield, 'and am wondering if there have been any recent pirate-type attacks down there. And if so, what should we bring for security, as guns are obviously out of the question. I want to go to Mexico, but not if it's going to put my family in danger. Should I be worried about officials messing with my boat? Are there any other types of dangers to be concerned about?' "
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
For the rest of the story, go to:

Latitude 38 - Northern California's Premier Sailing and Marine Magazine

TaoJones
Old 01-10-2007, 13:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
... anyone contemplating cruising Mexico for the first time should find it informative ...
Great information, such as:
"... For those who take basic common sense precautions — be careful in poorly lit areas at night when alone and drunk, and don't flash your wealth — we consider Mexico to be very safe ..."

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 13:39   #3

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I felt safer in Mexico than in the US
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 16:08   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
I felt safer in Mexico than in the US
So did I.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 16:13   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
No problems in Mexico but avoid Miami at all costs.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 16:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Most any place is safer. It's the dumb stuff. Leave diamonds at home with relatives that can be trusted. Second thought, most relatives are worse. Other than on the border most of Mexico is pretty safe unless you intend on acting stupid. You need to develop a sense of what the rest of the world is really like to understand all the bad ideas you need to leave behind with the relatives. The world is as it is and it's up to you to at least try to fit in. Most cultures appreciate the effort even when it falls short of the goal. In the end being nice matters - every place! Speaking bad Spanish is better than cursing in Spanglish.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 16:22   #7

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
We did not cruise in Mexico, but for our first trip to Mexico we had similar questions and feelings. Family members and friends were telling us that we would have to be extremely cautious and hang on to our valuables and children tightly.
We found that as mentioned by the others here, we felt safer in Mexico than we did here in our own home town. The people were exceptionally courteous and friendly.
I have nothing but good to say about the people and the experience there. Oh, yes - we did not go to the tourist areas. We drove 6 hours south from Cancun to the Caribbean coast on the border of Mexico and Belize. A beautiful area. The people there were very family oriented and made us feel like we were part of the neighborhood right away.
Have fun and enjoy cruising Mexico. We will go there again without hesitation if we can.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:56   #8

Boat: Gemini Cat Hull #100
Mexico

We have been in Mexico cruising now since the end of June. We feel exceptionally safe when we are out, however when it comes to dealing with officials it is a different story.
These are first hand not second hand experiences:
At Marina Paridisio last month the check in clerk gave a sailing couple an issue as they had three small dogs on board. "Miguel" forced out of them $150.oo USD and told them that they had to pay or leave the country now as it was illegal to have three dogs. They paid as it was evening and they had not enough fuel to make the next port. When they departed they waited an entire day for a check as they were trying to get more from them. (By the way they were on a huge Emel Sail boat)
There is a younger guy who arrived on a Catamaran. Once again Miguel gave this poor guy issues. The first instance was that he needed to charge him double as he was on a Catamaran, the second issue was that the young guy either paid Miguel several hundred dollars or go to prison as the guy had a flare gun on board that had 12 gauge flares and Miguel let the young guy know this was a jailable offence. Since we all knew this was wrong the young guy got an attorney, and almost not soon enough. Miguel turned the young guy into the officials claiming that the guy had several weapons on board. The Navy and the FBI arrived at his boat in the evening and they took him to Cancun. We were very worried about him until he returned the next day with an amunations expert, dogs and a few dozen officials. The ammunitions expert cleared the guy of all wrong doing. The young guy was still out almost a $1000 he was forced to pay out in bribes to all the people involved and his legal fees, then the marina fined him for the disturbance and loss of business.
Next:
We checked out of the marina to head out for a weeks get away, we had been paying $671.00 per month at the exclusive marina. After two months of paying this we let them know we were going to head out for a week, I went in to pay the bill and they had added another $350 USD to my bill stating that they had forgot our "Catamaran Surcharge" I asked them to show me this in the rules and they could not. I refused to pay cash and they eventually took a credit card. Interesting enough they separated the charges on my card, one for dockage and the other for "Marine Services"
Living on Isla Mujeres during Hurricane season you get to know that a cab ride costs $1 us if you give them anything else besides the exact amount they refuse to give change.

The island is a wonderful place, many boaters check in and out without issues over the past few months, we were told that it was while the port captain and this Miguel were under investigation everything was fine, then after the investigation closed the corruption came back. We suggest if going to Isla stay at the refurbished marina Milagro owned by Eric and his wife. They used to use this Miguel fellow and now are using someone new. If you feel you must use an agent then go to Marina Via Vera and let the guy there check you in then move on.
Ativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 16:05   #9

Ativa, Sent a link to your post to Tere Grossman, head of the Mexican Marinas Owner Assoc. and liaison to the Head of the Port Captains in Mexico City. Also sent a link to Richard at latitude38. Susan and I worked hard last year to try and resolve these issues in Isla, but in Mexico things quickly revert to the old ways. According to Mexican law boaters can not be required to use an agent. That is part of the reason for the official investigation.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 07-10-2007, 10:22   #10

Tere Grossman has already emailed me and here is a cut and paste of the reply. If anyone has questions or information regarding problems in Isla or and other Port in Mexico they can send and email to grossman@marinasancarlos.com

(Quote)
Hi:

Thank you for the information, I am going to investigate who this Miguel is.

I need you to help me.

I had a meeting with the Mexican authorities last week and they asked me
to investigate why no one is going to Puerto Juarez near Cancun to the
office that they set up there, so that boaters could clear with all the
authorities in the same place.

Apparently very few people are using it and they would like to know why.

Why is every one trying to clear in Isla Mujeres?

Do you have any idea?

Tere Grossman

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 07-10-2007, 12:15   #11

Boat: Gemini Cat Hull #100
The reason that no one uses this great office is due to the fact that the only person ever there is for importing the boat, immigration is never there and you have to go to the middle of Cancun or use the small office on Isla Mujeres.
Miguel is the manager of what is left of Marina Paridisio and has been around for several years.
Ativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:40   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO37-37ft.-Sun Dog
I have used Miguel, the manager at Marina Paraiso, to check in and out on about 4 occassions, the last time was this past March. He always treated us fairly and I had no complaints. Althought I did not have to use him and could have done everything myself I thought that for the convenience it afforded me and that he had officials such as agriculture and health to come to the marina and he dealt directly with the Port Captains office for the paying of the Port Captains fee it was well worth his fee of $20 US for the service. If you choose to check in yourself then the Port Captains bank is in Cancun which necessitates a ferry trip across the bay and a cab to the bank that the Port Captain uses. That was my experience with Miguel. No complaints. He was always professional and courteous with us. As far as the Marina Paraiso goes. Until they repair the docks, I will probably not stay there again. Marina Milagro is much nicer and their management seems to be more interested in acquiring and maintain cruisers' business.
alaskadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 14:32   #13

Mexico

I have lived in Puerto Vallarta Mexico for 10 years and it is alway's been very safe.
cruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 14:53   #14

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Mexico is safe as long as you have the biggest knife and know how to use it .

Just kidding of course. I think it is reasonably safe even without a knife.

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 15:23   #15

Mexico is very unsafe, the prices expensive, and the people rude. Also the weather is ruthless. Please avoid it, and tell everyone you know to stay away from it at all costs.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico