Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-11-2007, 16:26   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Mexico is very unsafe, the prices expensive, and the people rude. Also the weather is ruthless. Please avoid it, and tell everyone you know to stay away from it at all costs.
Awright Reb, suspecting an ulterior motive here. Find a little piece of paradise did ya? Ya had me until I read the part about the weather.

Old 16-11-2007, 16:30   #17

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Mexico is very unsafe, the prices expensive, and the people rude. Also the weather is ruthless. Please avoid it, and tell everyone you know to stay away from it at all costs.
Yeah, and all they have is Mexican Food!

Keegan

Old 16-11-2007, 16:52   #18

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House
Before going to Mexico go to New York , ask your wife to put all the jewellery she owns on her and go for a nice walk in Bronx or Harlem, (preferably in the evening ) . South Chicago during the day would be another option . After that Mexico would feel like safe heaven .
Old 16-11-2007, 17:06   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's my backyard, and there are way too many people going there these days. You guys need to stick to your bahamas / florida / east coast stuff and leave us west coast people with mexico.
Old 16-11-2007, 17:30   #20

Quote:
It's my backyard, and there are way too many people going there these days. You guys need to stick to your bahamas / florida / east coast stuff and leave us west coast people with mexico.

Ha! You're outed! A clear case of east coast discrimination!
Well then, OK, it's a deal, since there's an east coast to Mexico as well I assume we're good to go there?
Old 16-11-2007, 17:47   #21

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
The other bad thing about Mexico is that there are so many tequillia's to choose from for your ice cold margarita and then there are all of those ice cold mexican cervesa's to choose from. Its a terrible place...

When can I go again?

Keegan
Old 16-11-2007, 20:19   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
You're probably safe as long as you don't cruise Nuevo Laredo (or Laredo TX for that matter).
Seventy American citizens have been abducted in the last year from Laredo.
The media hasn't covered it because they're Hispanic Americans.

Have a look at glennbeck.com

I wish it weren't so.

Steve B.
Old 17-11-2007, 00:09   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
Ha! You're outed! A clear case of east coast discrimination!
Well then, OK, it's a deal, since there's an east coast to Mexico as well I assume we're good to go there?
Oh yeah I forgot about that part of Mexico.

Either way, the country is excellent. Spanish is probably the easiest language to pick up, and the people are generally very nice. You can travel by land back to the states, and enough people (wrongfully) think it's a crazy drug/crime/psycho filled country that they avoid it.

The only places I've had problems with are the border towns (Tijuana, Juarez, Tecate, etc) and Mexico City. But that's a very small part of a very large country, and it's like saying there's crime in Los Angeles and New York City.
Old 18-11-2007, 10:20   #24

::nod::

Senormechanico: Rather like the USA has forgotten its own ethnic cleansing during the early part of the depression under Hoover. What happens to a specific segment of the population doesn't seem to get the same amount of coverage either by the media or by history.

On the other hand, even Nuevo Laredo seems rather safe compared to some parts of the USA. ::thoughtful:: I wonder how much it would cost to set up a small marina as a retirement project...

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 14:51   #25
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From today's edition of 'Lectronic Latitude, comes additional information on safety in Mexico:

~ ~ ~

"Attacks on American Tourists in Mexico

"November 19, 2007 – Mexico

"In recent weeks there have been reports in both the San Diego papers and CNN on some very violent attacks on American tourists in Mexico, mostly surfers in northern Baja, but also including some RV owners elsewhere in Mexico. As such, a number of readers have inquired whether we think it's safe to cruise south of the border."

~ ~ ~

To read the entire piece, go to:

Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine

TaoJones
Old 19-11-2007, 15:23   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Tao:
I don’t think misleading “CNN–type” headlines, and out of context quotes serve to inform our membership.

As I understand the very brief 9and not very informative piece), a more accurate synoptic might read:

…To our knowledge, there have been no attacks on cruisers, and in the 30 years we've been going there, we've never had a bad incident, let alone been attacked …”

or

“… we think cruisers are most vulnerable when ashore …”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 18:39   #27
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Tao:
I don’t think misleading “CNN–type” headlines, and out of context quotes serve to inform our membership.

As I understand the very brief 9and not very informative piece), a more accurate synoptic might read:

…To our knowledge, there have been no attacks on cruisers, and in the 30 years we've been going there, we've never had a bad incident, let alone been attacked …”

or

“… we think cruisers are most vulnerable when ashore …”
Inasmuch as my Fair Use of the material from 'Lectronic Latitude is done in such a way as to conform to your specific instructions when using others' original material, GordMay, I am at a loss to understand why you feel it necessary to find fault with what I have posted.

It is unclear to me if your reference to "misleading 'CNN-type'" headlines is an objection to typeface style and/or size, or if you're alluding, perhaps, to the type of headlines CNN is partial to; i.e. dramatic, bombastic, even inflammatory.

Either way, your complaint should be addressed to the folks at Latitude 38 Publishing Co., Inc., not me. I merely copied and pasted from the referenced item, changing nothing (including type size), and provided a link so others could read the item in its entirety.

I started this thread based on an item in an earlier 'Lectronic Latitude, and the item in today's edition struck me as relevant. That you found it "not very informative" is only your opinion. You evidently found something "informative" in the 'Lec Lat piece, inasmuch as you quoted two items from it.

As to whether the membership finds it informative, any member is free to click on the link, read the item, and make up his/her own mind on that - just as with anything else posted here.

If your posting is motivated by another matter altogether (think The Log and the Pacific Seacraft bankruptcy) then we can discuss that publicly if you wish.

TaoJones
Old 19-11-2007, 19:23   #28

Boat: CT54
I found the post informative and did read the provided link and Lat 38 article.
I have also been told there is a serious meth problem from cruisers returning from the Ensenada area.
It won't keep me out of Mexico because it truly is a beautiful place but as true in most places one should keep both eyes open.
Old 19-11-2007, 20:34   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Tao, I agree with you. Imho, a simple copy and paste should be ok, of which Gord seems to be the king.

That being said, Gord, don't get me wrong, if there's any question about whatever subject, you seem to find the relevant info and you paste it here.

Steve B.
Old 20-11-2007, 02:13   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I apologise for the tenor of my criticism, and for any unintended implication that TaoJones was inappropriate, in any way, in his quotation. He was not.

Any criticism was of TaoJones’ editorial judgement in selecting what to quote, not his integrity. Tao has consistently demonstrated the highest propriety in his quoting and linking.

A simple copy & paste of brief passages, and a link to the source (or citation if not an “online” source) is the accepted method of reference.

As Tao correctly noted, my criticism should have been specifically directed towards the Editors of Lectronic Latitude . It was they who chose to emphasize the “dramatic, bombastic, even inflammatory” [*1] wording of their headline & introductory paragraph.

Of course, quoting headlines and introductory paragraphs, as did Tao, is the norm. Another customary style is to quote from “conclusions”.

In this case, I found the quoted opening to be misleading* as to the substance of the article. I should have merely noted the apparent (to me) discrepancy.

* In my humble opinion, the two later phrases I quoted, more accurately portrayed the essence of the piece, than did the opening “headline” paragraph Tao quoted. "As to whether the membership finds it (sic: the article) informative, any member is free to click on the link, read the item, and make up his/her own mind on that - just as with anything else* posted here."[*1]
* My opinions, as with those of all who choose to publicly share theirs, are always open to debate and criticism.

[*1] TaoJones in the CruisersForum thread "Is it Safe to Cruise Mexico?" (Nov. 19/07)

My motivation was fairness and accuracy. I apologise for any unintended implication of impropriety or deliberate obfuscation.

Gord May

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: