Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2019, 08:22   #1

Inside Passage AK, buying and selling a boat

I am planning on sailing the Inside Passage from Seattle to Alaska (or vice versa) and then selling the boat. Which direction, type of boat, etc. makes the most sense for this venture? I live in Seattle so it seems the most logical to buy a boat in AK, sail it down to Seattle, and then sell. That being said, my brother bought an RV years back and drove it to Alaska where he sold it for a nice profit.

Thanks

scm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 09:27   #2

Boat: 1969 29 Grenfell Express Cruiser design
Re: Inside Passage AK, buying and selling a boat

I'm betting a power boat will sell faster in Alaska than a sail boat. In higher Northern areas, folks are more practical and less romantic than further south. I was born in Whitehorse Yukon.

In the link below is a pic of a marina in Ketchikan and you do see sailboats there, but power boats are in the majority.

https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...wAOVBPIyXmS5M:

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 09:30   #3
rbk

Boat: Tayana 37

x2 ^^ Unless its a Rawson 30 or Gulf 32 (really the only popular sailboat in SE Ak) Even then many sit for many years unsold. If anything I'd be finding a good deal in SE AK and sailing it south for sale.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 21:10   #4

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Have you looked at the boat market in Alaska?
No way you could make a profit.
If your just doing the Inside Passage, the distance is not all that great between the northern end and Seattle.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 21:30   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Why not buy in the PNW Puget Sound area where you have a decent selection, then do a round trip, and sell back whete you bought it. Leaving end of May, returning end of August gives you plenty of time to get to SE Alaska and back.
Old 15-04-2019, 08:13   #6

Boat: HOBIE 18
Lightbulb Re: Inside Passage AK, buying and selling a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm007 View Post
I am planning on sailing the Inside Passage from Seattle to Alaska (or vice versa) and then selling the boat. Which direction, type of boat, etc. makes the most sense for this venture? I live in Seattle so it seems the most logical to buy a boat in AK, sail it down to Seattle, and then sell. That being said, my brother bought an RV years back and drove it to Alaska where he sold it for a nice profit.

Thanks
What boats have you owned up to now and how did you like their sailing characteristics? How much profit did you make when you sold them? How much work went into them? If your just looking to see Alaska and make a profit on the vehicle you use, maybe the RV is a better way to go? Asking your crew whether they feel more comfortable in the RV VS a boat might be a good start.

So this is the year?
Old 15-04-2019, 10:17   #7

Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Having recently done the Inside Passage and spent last winter in Petersburg, AK, I'll pop in my 2 cents.

The selection of sailboats available in Alaska is very small. Agree with most on here that the vast majority of boats for sale up there are power boats. Much better selection in the area from Portland to lower BC (think Vancouver / Nanaimo area).

There is time to get up and back in one season. You will need to limit yourself as to what you want to see though. There are enough different cruising areas between Sitka and Seattle to keep you going for like 10 to 20 years. Beautiful spots abound.

You need (at least we did) a boat that has some sort of a good cover over some of the cockpit area. It rains. A lot. Unless you want to stand in the rain while traveling on the boat a large part of the time; a good bimini/canvas enclosure is a very valuable thing to have on your boat. Alternatively - you can go for a pilothouse type. We met several people who owned Nauticats up in Alaska and were very pleased with them.

Lastly you need a boat with a decent engine. Sailing up the Inside Passage is a little bit of a misnomer. We probably motored 80% to 85% of the time. Especially if you want to get up to SE Alaska, you will be going directly against the wind in many passages. You can sail quite a bit; but you may not get as far as you would like to go or see all that you would like to.

Deep anchorages and stern ties are common.

YMMV
Ron
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 13:50   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Find someone in Alaska who wants to buy a boat. let them buy it, and you just deliver it up to them as a favor. Keep yourself out of the bloat flipping game.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 14:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Find someone in Alaska who wants to buy a boat. let them buy it, and you just deliver it up to them as a favor. Keep yourself out of the bloat flipping game.
Excellent idea.
Old 16-04-2019, 14:52   #10
rbk

Boat: Tayana 37

^^^Not sure you'll find a willing participant for this unless the OP is a qualified delivery captain with applicable insurance.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 11:57   #11

Talking Re: Inside Passage AK, buying and selling a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
^^^Not sure you'll find a willing participant for this unless the OP is a qualified delivery captain with applicable insurance.
Very true.

I think the OP is on a pipe dream right now.

Tags
boat, buying, passage