Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 14:03   #1

Boat: Catalina 34 tall rig
Info on Sailing from LA to Hawaii

I will be crewing on a delivery of a sailboat from L.A. to Hawaii in mid October and am trying to figure out what to expect as far as weather and average temps. I'm sure the captain has this info but I'm trying to find out some things on my own. I understand we will be sailing the "great circle route" but when I tried to google it all I got was confused. Any simple explanations on this would be good.
I just recently sold my Catalina 34 which I sailed in San Diego area for 5 years and have done the Baha Bash twice, the second one just last month from La Paz and looking forward to doing an ocean crossing.
Any help or ideas would be great!

Mike
Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 14:17   #2

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Info on sailing from L.A. to Hawaii

The Great Circle route is the shortest distance between 2 points on the surface of a sphere, but whether you can sail it in October from LA to Hawaii is a function of where the N. Pacific High is located. More likely, you will be following the southern edge of the High, and that may not align with the shortest path to your destination. I don't know about temperatures. When I sailed there in June, it wasn't that warm until we got to about 25 deg.
Old 12-09-2011, 14:30   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Info on sailing from L.A. to Hawaii

In July it is typical to do a reverse S course to get the most out of the wind. I imagine that it will be different in October. Have a look at the pilot charts.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 11:19   #4

Boat: Catalina 34 tall rig
Re: Info on Sailing from LA to Hawaii

Thanks Charlie......I did check the pilot charts after your suggestion and that was very helpful.

Mike S
Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii, sailing