Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 18:20   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
In Singapore Straits . . . Now . . .

Hi Folks..

This is just a special note for those at work (breaking rocks or whatever one does at work these days)..

A few hours ago at dawn we entered the Singapore Straits heading for Dangar Bay, Malaysia behind Singapore island.

Hopefully Dan will be waving streamers on our arrival....

That is, of course as long as we dont get run down trying to cross the shipping lanes!!!!!!!! Its full on!!!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 18:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Mark be careful out there. Its not quite Somalia, but I think its close.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 19:02   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Mark be careful out there. Its not quite Somalia, but I think its close.
I think you are very much mistaken, unless of course you have some evidence to support this comment.
Old 07-09-2009, 19:05   #4

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hi Folks..

This is just a special note for those at work (breaking rocks or whatever one does at work these days)..

A few hours ago at dawn we entered the Singapore Straits heading for Dangar Bay, Malaysia behind Singapore island.

Hopefully Dan will be waving streamers on our arrival....

That is, of course as long as we dont get run down trying to cross the shipping lanes!!!!!!!! Its full on!!!

Mark
Mark, you'll have to do a long winded report for us (me) as to what Danga Bay , Singa and the run up through the straight was like when you do it.

Fuel prices, yachtie facilities and things to look out for (traps) would also be much appreciated

Have a great time.
Old 07-09-2009, 19:13   #5
NTD

Boat: Nautor Swan 46 MK I
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I think you are very much mistaken, unless of course you have some evidence to support this comment.
There have been some incidences in the area. It is one of the areas of concern listed.

"The security of shipping in Southeastern Asian ports and waters, especially in the Malacca and Singapore Straits, has become the major concern for countries in and outside the region since late 2003. The preventive steps that should be taken in the Indonesian and other regions in order to curb the maritime terror in the Southeast Asia are discussed."
NTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 19:33   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
When we went through the Singapore Straits and Malacca Straits, there was no piracy against yachts. (2005) Pirates were interested in taking tugboat captains and mates for ransom. Yachties were not worth the effort. Yachts stayed on the Malaysia side of the Malacca Straits as they headed north because most of the pirates were felt to come from Indonesia.

The real danger in the region was lightning strikes from thunderstorms. Our first week there, five cruising yachts were struck by lightning.

You can read about our Malacca Straits experience at:
PIRATES OF THE MALACCA STRAITS
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 19:47   #7
Long Range Cruiser

The only pirates we come accross are the ones in every country: The amrina operators who price gouge fuel prices! And suckers like us pay out!

Our biggest fear here ain't 'pirates' maybe some normal criminals who are in small fishing boats doing hull speed lower than us or in outboard dahows which are pretty flimsy.

Fear not, oh cruiser! Stay at home and risk being hit by a bus or go live your life amongst the world in the safest possable way!

Mark
PS is there a break in the traffic? Can those oil tankers please STOP I am a sail boat!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 19:59   #8

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
When we went through, there was a tanker every four minutes. We just aimed for the stern of a passing tanker to give maximum time to get across before the bow of the next one came through. Of course with the traffic separation scheme, we had to cross two lanes of ships.

I was grateful that I was in a catamaran with two engines going full speed ahead plus sails. We still received five warning signal blasts from an oncoming ship.

The only place where traffic was more scary was in the middle of the night in the Gulf of Suez with thirty knot headwinds while crossing two lanes of traffic. Once again, I was grateful to have two engines.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:20   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Mark - Don't know if you got my sms messages.

Piracy on your route - What a laugh...

Anyway, motorsailing is the safest bet with the Singapore shipping - cross the shipping lanes at 90 degrees and haul ass. Sort of like playing Frogger...

I was in my office breaking rocks looking fondly out to the south. Hope you made safe landfall in Danga Bay.

PS - I didn't realize you were approaching from the east - You coulda picked me up as port pilot and I'da only charged you a bottle or two of your home brew - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:25   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Someone moved Singapore!

So I navigate a terrific course through the inner islands of Singapore Harbour to save a bit of time. You really don't want to be doing it at night!
So I SMS'd Dan a route and he says his charts are on the boat. WHY? Who the hell keeps their charts on the boat?
Sooooo we plunge into Singapore and I feel that a distance of 4 miles on one leg doesnt look like its 4 miles till we would be high and dry....
Soooooooo I find ourselves in an inner harbour thats NOT on the charts!
Sooooooooooooo I think these people have been reclaiming land to make Singapore a bit bigger than it was.
Soooooooooooooooooooooo I find our way around that.. impedement... only to find we are in ANOTHER section that just doesnt work with the charts!
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo we head back out to Singapore Straits and do the route without the shortcut and find the whole area has been reclaimed! Thousands of acres of sea turned into Singapore!

What a crazy day!

But great fun! Steering around the ships was such a blast Not for the feint hearted but boldness makes many things in cruising more enjoyable and safer too

Mark

Old 08-09-2009, 06:31   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Mark - Welcome to Singapore. We aren't going to invade anyone. We just buy their dirt one boatload at a time.

Some accounts say Singapore grows at 10% per year - LOL.

If your charts are more than a year old don't be surprised to be sailing down a highway or find that 2 little islands have become one little island.

I tried ta warn ya about the west end of the strait before you head into the channel - at's all new sand. Good fun!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:19   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Are you using those nicely updated and current paper charts you got in Darwin or those electronic gimzos updated instantly via the web.

Sorry, the devil made me do it; Hope it all works out and you get to go where you want to.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:59   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Are you using those nicely updated and current paper charts you got in Darwin or those electronic gimzos updated instantly via the web.

Ho Ho! Those paper charts from Darwin were bloody useless. Thats the last time I spend money on paper, no matter what the old cootes here say about them.

The electronic stuff was being updated by Jepperson and nopt issued till 31st July so I missed getting that! And Google Earth was even out of date!

It was the google earth images that sorted me out in the end

Photo below is of Google Earth Image I had. RED line is my intended course. Light patches of land are the new stuff. The GREEN course is my eventual track! (only slightly dramatised!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_04.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	9804  

Old 09-09-2009, 08:07   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Actually, I just checked my track on the plotter.... I didn't exagerate too much! LOL Crikey I was lost! LOLOL

Old 10-09-2009, 02:27   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
..... LOL Crikey I was lost! LOLOL
Nah Mate, you weren't lost, you knew exactly where you were, some b*st*rds went and changed the layout of the land; at the worst, you might have been a bit slewed.

This will become one of your better bar room yarns in years to come, especially as the details slowly get altered for better impact. Just make sure N doesn't correct you if you do occasionally stray in the telling of it .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Singapore