Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2008, 11:04   #1

I Want to Sail to Tahiti

I have a 40' ketch but not much sailing experience im new to the life. I would like to sail her to tahiti . Im going to go from west coast of florida south what would be the best route and safest time to go? How much time I have plenty now. Im going to make this trip myself well my bird and dog will help any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you
CHRISTAICHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 15:25   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Exactly how much experience do ya have? Any heavy weather sailing? If not, I'd suggest some SCA, light Gale sailing first at the least. As for departure times? Other more experienced than I will have to assist.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 15:44   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISTAICHI View Post
I have a 40' ketch but not much sailing experience im new to the life. I would like to sail her to tahiti . Im going to go from west coast of florida south what would be the best route and safest time to go? How much time I have plenty now. Im going to make this trip myself well my bird and dog will help any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you
I've placed added emphasis on a short piece of your post, and direct your attention to this thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...elp-13838.html Please, if you must take this (much harder than you think) fantasy cruise, don't endanger the lives of your pets.

And, if you insist on doing so anyway, check out properly so that they can re-enter the country. If you do not, and even if you turn back after only making a single foreign port, you risk their lives, yet again, because they could be impounded and euthanized.

Please gather the necessary information and do this right.

TaoJones
Old 18-06-2008, 15:50   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I would suggest you start with going south and island hop. It's not excessivly difficult though hurricane season is now upon us. If after all that you still have the desire you may find alternative desitnations along the way. The trip would be quite long and it seems a wqaste to go so far and not take a long time getting there.

All the things TaoJones mentioned about your animals are true. he wasn't just exagerating the point at all. They won't be welcomed every where and returning may be a problem too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 16:22   #5

thanks for the sugestions and hel[p

I plan on taking my time as im going to stay down there. Im selling it all so where I end up and like I stay till I don't like it anymore. I was going to belieze but so many storms changed my mind.and the dock I was able to stay at as most of the island is gone now. as for my animals I have travled all over the world and seen many animals travel .my last dog grew up on the travel road.I know the rules are not fair I had to leave my dog and cat on texas border town to do a short trip into mexico . My dog loves boats as does my bird I take all the necessary safety steps for them. I plan to go down the coast of mexico stopping and just loafing. I have never been to the canal but i herd its amazing. I was just looking for somone that made this trip to give me a baisis for a nice sail route. as for safety of the animals my boat is 50 feet long plenty of room and they love to get on the boat as for those people that lost there animals on an island I dont see that as a reason to leave my animals home when I leave I would have just stayed on the island any more ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks
keep da wind in ur sails
chris
CHRISTAICHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 16:44   #6
cruiser

Best not get to Tahiti before the end of April. Then you have till october before the South Pacific hurricane seaon. Then you either go to New Zealand, or to the North Pacific.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 17:01   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
MarkJ is a regular member who just bought a boat and is making the passage now. They just cleared the Panama canal.

You might look him up.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 17:05   #8

OH AND AS FOR THE REMARKS ABOUT my insisting on my fANTASY TRIP I thank you for your comment. but don't think it was well,,,,... put very nicely sounds like your having a bad day for that im sorry.
Old 18-06-2008, 17:10   #9

thank you Dan I will contact him also I wanted to ask about internet or tv etc. any ideas?
Old 18-06-2008, 17:20   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
MarkJ is a regular member who just bought a boat and is making the passage now. They just cleared the Panama canal.

You might look him up.
Ummm, yeah. But I have only done the: "fork out $600 to a bunch of Panamanians" bit.

As for pets.... I'm the only animal on board here.... but I would be worried about some governments... The Ecuadorians who own the Galapagos will prolly shoot you if your cat plays 'hide the sausage' on one of their 3 headed iguanas.... then there's the New Zealanders - ask Alan about them! Then you get to Australia where they make you sand the boat then burn it, kill the pets and jail you - but they give you free medical care in custody (including sex change ops!)

I hope this helps.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 17:25   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISTAICHI View Post
OH AND AS FOR THE REMARKS ABOUT my insisting on my fANTASY TRIP I thank you for your comment. but don't think it was well,,,,... put very nicely sounds like your having a bad day for that im sorry.
I'm having a fine day, actually, but thank you for your concern.

In my experience, someone who admits to having limited sailing experience, but who plans to sail a 40' ketch - singlehanded, apparently - from Florida to Tahiti, is living a fantasy. And, in the process, endangering his animals. It's that last part that bothers me.

If you have no offshore sailing experience, don't know when to go, don't know what route to take - I would submit that you are a greater danger to yourself than you realize. So be it; do as you wish.

I sincerely hope, however - for your animals' sake - that it happens just as you see it in your mindseye.

TaoJones
Old 18-06-2008, 17:40   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Christaichi,

Read the book, "Desperate Voyage", by John Caldwell. He did the same thing you're planning to do.
Old 18-06-2008, 18:33   #13

i read his other many many responses

who is this guy the cruisers forum town cryr? he has something to say about everybody and everything I was even polite in my response he continues to talk to me in a condesending way sorry bout the spelling no spell check lmao. anyway how could anyone say well you can wreck but not your animals? I read most of your threads lmao looks like you sail alot my guess is read more and dream alot I have traveled all over the world climbed mountains did most the app trail rafted spelunked my way Im a master diver i skydive surf ski and water ski I was told I was going to die 8 months ago now im supposedly fine " I had a boat in pic sold it and I was ready for my trip but put it off glad i did I would have been whiped out in belieze its not a fantasy maybe you have them its my destiny and i do not do anything halfasked but risk makes me happy and I don't like your mondine comments keep them to yourself. go speculate on oil im leaving lmao hope you find something better to do than comment on others with no go sailing lmao ok
anyone know about a good cell phone and or internet that can be used oujt of usa? is there any? I have a year to plan this trip oh by the way my boat I sold is on its way to tahiti lmao but I think id like to go to Vavau but I herd they are cracking down on living there now to one year I know its the law but I have friends there for manymany years. Im going to fly there soon. to check it out all the details thanks for all your help this is a great site and Im sure it will be of much help to me even thow there are some peeps that hmm well ill leave that alone its not worth it lmao lmao just read his threads can u say no it allmao....peace
Old 18-06-2008, 18:37   #14

thanks hud3 I have most the dvds on blue water and read many books Im sailing from st pete to the panama canal with a very experienced capt friend of mine he probally won't want to come back lmao but im not going blind but I do want to do it myself I have been told many times these similar things but I made it back lmao that is what life is about glad some people stay home and arent out on the ocean with me hint hint lmao thank you all for your help again and believe me I am taking heed but this is my goal and I will do it its now before I get to old lmao..
Old 18-06-2008, 18:51   #15

oh and P.S. about the dog and bird story....fact is the dog is home eating well on his parents couch in there home state now. all happy and funny thing it helped his coat to shine he is very healthy now. as for the bird well another story can you say chickenwings? but to be fair he was illegaly banded so he could have been taken here in good old Us of A just as easy now that is a crime can you say endangered birdy illeagaly cought? again sorry about the spelling lmao not my forte.

Tags
tahiti