Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-07-2008, 21:58   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"he needed to get away from it all, he did, he died."
Better to spend forty years in a cubicle and then die lost in the maze of Alzheimers?

Old 10-07-2008, 22:06   #32

my point was; better to be knowledgeable about what your getting into...it helps to enjoy the ride.
didn't appear to me that chris had a very good time.

Old 10-07-2008, 23:41   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
On the question of "Who can do it?" - All the round the worlders that I meet, and Singapore is a frequent stopover, seem like ordinary you and me type of people. Older/younger, fitter/not so fit, mostly dual handed husbands and wives but a few families and a few solo artists.

No one I've met seems like they have a death wish or seem all that more talented than me.

I agree that one must be prepared in a good boat and have a good dose of self reliance but really it isn't that impossible.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 15:13   #34

I don't know

sometimes that "your on a death wish" gets old.
If you want good followership your leadership should not be to critical. Assume people are AS talented and EQUAL to you. Also include all the instructions regardless of how talented they may or may not be. Without being critical!
Who's job is it to babysit anyone else?
Calling it a Fantasy Voyage was insulting right off the bat.
Was posting on a forum asking for advice and being a new member rude?
Are some of you insulted by this guys apparent lack of or, admitted lack of experience?
Only my second post here but please, I work hard to type and use punctuation, am I going to get the same treatment underway when I text a question in that sounds crazy? Do I sound crazy now?

A skydiver friend once said "It's not the amount of experience that matters, it is the amount of talent"
When asked how it was he progressed so quickly to such a advanced level.

Took me 25-30 min to write all that, and edit it. Peas
Matt
Old 11-07-2008, 16:02   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakmat View Post
Only my second post here but please, I work hard to type and use punctuation, am I going to get the same treatment underway when I text a question in that sounds crazy? Do I sound crazy now?
Yes you are crazy... But I like crazy. Good post and welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakmat View Post
A skydiver friend once said "It's not the amount of experience that matters, it is the amount of talent"
My skydiver friend said, "It's not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the bottom."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 18:07   #36

Know your emergency procedures!
I am parachute rigger by trade. I pack rounds and squares, reserves and mains.
My motto, borrowed from a friend.

Speed, Quality, Price
Pick any 2
Old 13-07-2008, 05:25   #37
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISTAICHI View Post
I have a 40' ketch but not much sailing experience im new to the life. I would like to sail her to tahiti . Im going to go from west coast of florida south what would be the best route and safest time to go? How much time I have plenty now. Im going to make this trip myself well my bird and dog will help any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you
You asked two questions. Your questions made it sound like you believe that once you are told which way to go, and when, it's just a matter of jumping in the boat and driving it to Tahiti. That's why you saw the reactions that you did. It just doesn't work that way.

Some of the answers were to questions you didn't ask, but perhaps would have if you had more of an understanding of what you're proposing to do. Your responses were punctuated with "imao". I had to look that up. "In my arrogant opinion", was the definition on the Internet.

Christaichi, please drop the arrogance. Little Boat said it well, "Being a novice is not so disconcerting. What does raise the biggest red flag I've ever seen flapping is that after all your travels and experiences of fifty years, you don't seem to have learned one of life's most simple lessons: to listen and learn."

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this Forum who are willing to help you achieve your dream. But you need to be open to and respectful of input that doesn't support your neophyte notions.
Old 13-07-2008, 06:45   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onanonsuch View Post
people sure can be determined about some things....this kind of reminds me of the movie 'into the wild', remember chris mccandless, the city boy who died in alaska? he needed to get away from it all, he did, he died.
Chris McCandless wanted to embrace the Alaska Wilderness. Instead, he died in its arms.

The death note authored by Chris McCandless was found by a hunter, taped to the outside of an abandoned bus in the wilderness north of Denali National Park. By the time the hunter found the note taped to the school bus window it was too late. Its author lay dead in a sleeping bag inside.

The note read:
"Attention possible visitors. S.O.S. I need your help. I am injured and near death and too weak to hike out of here. I am all alone. This is no joke. In the name of God please remain to save me. I am out collecting berries close by and shall return this evening. Thank you."

"Death of an Innocent" ~ By Jon Krakauer
How Christopher McCandless lost his way in the wilds
Into The Wild - The Story of Chris McCandless by Jon Krakauer | Outside Online

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 11:12   #39
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chris McCandless' note on the outside of the bus was probably not the last item he penned. From the last page of Krakauer's account:

"From August 13 through 18 his journal records nothing beyond a tally of the days. At some point during this week, he tore the final page from Louis L'Amour's memoir, Education of a Wandering Man. On one side were some lines that L'Amour had quoted from Robinson Jeffers's poem 'Wise Men in Their Bad Hours':

Death's a fierce meadowlark: but to die having made
Something more equal to the centuries
Than muscle and bone, is mostly to shed weakness.

On the other side of the page, which was blank, McCandless penned a brief adios: 'I have had a happy life and thank the Lord. Goodbye and may God bless all!' "

Krakauer, having essentially painted McCandless as a naive dreamer in his original magazine account, re-visited the question as he expanded the material into the subsequent book. He acknowledged that McCandless was much better prepared for the ordeal than his original account had put forward, and that McCandless had survived for so long because he was well-educated on the necessities for survival. In the end, it was the simple mistake of eating a quantity of poisonous wild sweet pea seeds that rendered him too weak to save himself.

He had been living off wild potato seeds, but the wild sweet pea grows alongside the wild potato, and their seeds are virtually identical. He had been successfully living off the wild potato for a month to that point.

Krakauer seemed particular contrite for having made McCandless seem less prepared for wilderness survival than he actually was. If memory serves, that was in an epilogue to the book Krakauer had written following the original publication of his article on McCandless in Outside magazine.

Perhaps the originator of this thread is also more prepared to single-hand a 40' ketch through the Panama Canal and all the way to the Society Islands than I felt his post indicated. It is my opinion that a man or woman is free to do whatever he/she wants to do, but I was particularly concerned that an innocent dog and bird might pay a heavy price for their owner's actions if he was as ill-equipped for the voyage as I had concluded he was.

After fighting the wearying battle to save Snickers and Gulliver, I found that especially appalling.

TaoJones
Old 20-07-2008, 15:30   #40

thanks for the sugestions and hel[p

again yes , smart comments from Im guessing non travelers. Why so many comments on grammer?. so funny I would say get a life or keep your nasty comments to yourself. you should meet the other guy you all could talk about your great travels. He comments daily myself I just got home from argentina was looking for a nice place down there. but no worries mate.
. ILL write back when I get home or acess to a comp. ill tell you about the book.
to all those with help for real thank you remember my name and keep the wind in your sails. im going to try :"
Old 20-07-2008, 15:33   #41

oh and Lmao means laughing my azz off ... some dream some talk some brag..
and some just do it.
Old 20-07-2008, 15:50   #42
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Well, good luck you you then. I really think you've blown a good opportunity to get some valuable advice from sailors who have many miles under their keels.
Old 20-07-2008, 22:55   #43

Really though, how much is he going to learn on a forum compared to actually SAILING?
No opportunity blown here. Good Luck! Have FUN.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:46   #44

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Well, good luck you you then. I really think you've blown a good opportunity to get some valuable advice from sailors who have many miles under their keels.
thank you but I found most was not advice but judgements and poor comments on matter not even relating to sailing.. I mean come on grammar? spelling? such a waste of time these guys all sit in here im sure allday talking about what was or could or should have been. dishing out advice that they them selves have no reason to give... ok im over this crap
good luck to you all.... and the few who know im talking to you GET A LIFE LMAO "pax vobiscum"
Old 05-08-2008, 08:48   #45

oH AND THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND IDEAS KEEP THE WIND IN YOUR SAILS
CHRIS PEACE OUTIS

Tags
tahiti

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: