Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-06-2008, 20:00   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Chris - Welcome to the forum. This isn't intended to sound harsh but at present we don't really "know" you after 6 posts. TaoJones has been here for almost 1,000 posts and over time you may grow appreciate his "bluntness." There are lots of folks here who tell it as they see it.

At this point you could be Sir Edmond Hillary for all we know. What we do know is that a new member (always welcome) pops up with a plan that includes something not overly frequently done, who sounds like he hasn't done much research (there are tons of threads here about cruising, pets etc. etc...) and so you get varied comments.

Not complaining, mind you. A good rehash of an old topic is always fine with me.

However - If you aren't comfortable with straight shooters and differing opinions you won't like the internet much - LOL.

For each post, most folks will judge or comment and only a rare few just answer the question.

For a while try to grow a bit of a thick skin and let some of the comments roll.

In regards to "qualifications" to reply, I see that a lot around here. Whereby only a select few are deemed worthy of replying. Over time you will learn who is credible and who is not. It's a lot like eBay. Everyone around here gets a rep.

For all I know everyone on here is a shut-in with a computer and has never even been on a boat. Who knows? However, I think all comments are valid. That's where the phrase, "Out of the mouths of babes." comes from.

Anyway - rant mode off. Good luck with the plans.

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 20:01   #17

Boat: 15' wetboat named 'the boat'
Chris, congratulations on your remission.

Sometimes when people pee on your parade, they aren't doing it to be condescending. They are relaying common sense as they understand it. It may feel patronizing to you, but to them it just seems like the truth. You are an experienced mountain climber. What kind of responses do you think I would get if I went on a mountain climbing board and wrote, "Hi, I don't have any experience climbing mountains, but I just bought myself an axe and I am headed to summit the Matterhorn. Can anybody give me some ideas on the best route?" That is how it has to sound to some of the people here. Sailing from Florida to Tahiti is a pretty big deal for an experienced sailor. I am NOT saying you can't/shouldn't/won't do it. Just that it isn't from outerspace for people to react with less than enthusiasm when you relay those goals.

I also would have to imagine that there is as much difference between DVDs and books on climbing Mt Everest and actually doing it as there is a difference between books and DVDs on sailing the Pacific and actually doing it. And that both big mountain climbing and navigating the Pacific Ocean are not situations that lend themselves to OTJ. Maybe you should spend some time island hopping and getting some sailing under your belt before you head off into the big blue. Ultimately, I reckon that if you put your mind to it, you'll get it done. People mostly do get the stuff done that they are set on.

And I am sorry, but I have to say it-- Dude...punctuation is your friend....

Old 18-06-2008, 20:06   #18

wow coconut John sounds good coconut chris :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Christaichi,

Read the book, "Desperate Voyage", by John Caldwell. He did the same thing you're planning to do.
wow coconut john sounds like me hun? lmao thanks i just ordered the book and read all about him great life story.
Old 18-06-2008, 20:11   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISTAICHI View Post
wow coconut john sounds like me hun? lmao thanks i just ordered the book and read all about him great life story.

I am not sure that is such a great thing. The first review on Amazon says " An amazing story of bad judgement and bad luck." The second one says, "So many times I wanted to reach into the book and stop Mr. Caldwell from making some terrible mistake! You'll marvel at his abilities and be awestruck by his errors."

I don't think they were telling you to check this book out to encourage you.
Old 18-06-2008, 20:16   #20

chris can not type well lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by isbolick View Post
Chris, congratulations on your remission.

Sometimes when people pee on your parade, they aren't doing it to be condescending. They are relaying common sense as they understand it. It may feel patronizing to you, but to them it just seems like the truth. You are an experienced mountain climber. What kind of responses do you think I would get if I went on a mountain climbing board and wrote, "Hi, I don't have any experience climbing mountains, but I just bought myself an axe and I am headed to summit the Matterhorn. Can anybody give me some ideas on the best route?" That is how it has to sound to some of the people here. Sailing from Florida to Tahiti is a pretty big deal for an experienced sailor. I am NOT saying you can't/shouldn't/won't do it. Just that it isn't from outerspace for people to react with less than enthusiasm when you relay those goals.

I also would have to imagine that there is as much difference between DVDs and books on climbing Mt Everest and actually doing it as there is a difference between books and DVDs on sailing the Pacific and actually doing it. And that both big mountain climbing and navigating the Pacific Ocean are not situations that lend themselves to OTJ. Maybe you should spend some time island hopping and getting some sailing under your belt before you head off into the big blue. Ultimately, I reckon that if you put your mind to it, you'll get it done. People mostly do get the stuff done that they are set on.

And I am sorry, but I have to say it-- Dude...punctuation is your friend....
lmao sorry I warned yall spelling and punctuation is not my forte Im an outdoors guy laptops are great cause they travel someone needs to invent a typing correction for me lmao. anyway thank you all for the comments im not mad and as far as experience only way to get it is to do it when on the app trail once, I met an old lady had to be say 60s she said she just started backpacking this year. well I was laughing all day thinking she would get killed by bear or heck just passout but then years later she did more of the app trail than I did and wrote about it ..that shut me up I went to outward bound the next year and never looked back I was 15 now im almost 50 and I have just started to slow down now. and lmao sorrry about the typing thing ill get it down soon I can't find the . and ? and , most times but i will try now..thank you again I can tell this site is great.
Old 18-06-2008, 20:16   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chris, have you checked out Noonsite at Noonsite: French Polynesia Tightens Immigration and Customs Rules for All Visitors and other resources? There are strict entry/immigration controls, and Tahiti itself is perhaps no longer the paradise it once was--like most places that were so nice everyone wanted to be there.

Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes might be available from a library circulation request, or worth buying. He covers times and preferred routes all over the place, for sailors.

As for the dog and bird, I see nothing against having more than one species of crew and more than one dog has sailed with ship's papers as "Chief Ratter" or other formal rank on a vessel. As long as you're forewarned about the problems you'll have with entry and quarantine, by all means!
Old 18-06-2008, 20:26   #22

Quote:
I am not sure that is such a great thing. The first review on Amazon says " An amazing story of bad judgement and bad luck." The second one says, "So many times I wanted to reach into the book and stop Mr. Caldwell from making some terrible mistake! You'll marvel at his abilities and be awestruck by his errors."

I don't think they were telling you to check this book out to encourage you.
see hence my point.
Read this link http://www.gotopalm.com/hist2.html later he (coconut John) bought that island and built a resort on it .He got the name coconut john because, he planted them in his travels sailing the world. He after building his boat ,had a kid in tahiti on his way back to auzzy land one mans bad judgement ..is anothers fun I was stuck in a cave for 3 days once with 2 friends spelunking in VA. It was fun we had bad judgement but what a story we had to tell. But the forest ranger found it not funny at all, but i was 16 no excuse but just part of me..
P.S hope my puncuation is getting better but it took me 40 minutes to type this lmao. thanks again love your comments yall.
Old 18-06-2008, 20:28   #23

That's cool. Sorry, sometimes it is hard to read without any breaks.

As for the rest...I am more cautious than you, but I have some fairly big goals for my sailing also. Like I said, if you put your mind to it, you'll do it. My only advice is that determination is good and will get you far, but it will not make this happen. I am sure you know that already. Just don't wig out if somebody offers you skepticism. There might be a kernel of truth that is valuable to you in it.

We have a little wetboat we sail on local lakes. It seemed like pie in the sky daydreaming to me when I decided that we were going to get a smallish cruiser capable of getting us to the Bahamas next year. So, like I said, I am a little more cautious than you.

But I am determined to get across the Atlantic and also to the Galapagos once we get the big boat (that would be the boat we move up to after the little cruiser we get next year)in a few years. My schedule would be a little more accelerated, but we have a business and two kids we have to get situated before we can go big.
Old 18-06-2008, 20:51   #24

Quote:
That's cool. Sorry, sometimes it is hard to read without any breaks.

As for the rest...I am more cautious than you, but I have some fairly big goals for my sailing also. Like I said, if you put your mind to it, you'll do it. My only advice is that determination is good and will get you far, but it will not make this happen. I am sure you know that already. Just don't wig out if somebody offers you skepticism. There might be a kernel of truth that is valuable to you in it.

We have a little wetboat we sail on local lakes. It seemed like pie in the sky daydreaming to me when I decided that we were going to get a smallish cruiser capable of getting us to the Bahamas next year. So, like I said, I am a little more cautious than you.

But I am determined to get across the Atlantic and also to the Galapagos once we get the big boat (that would be the boat we move up to after the little cruiser we get next year)in a few years. My schedule would be a little more accelerated, but we have a business and two kids we have to get situated before we can go big.
a quote I read today ill give to you...would look nice on wood plaque on my boat.
"This shark, swallow you whole. No shakin', no tenderizi n', down you go: Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again. : Captain Quint
"We need a bigger boat!" :Officer Brody
I say
don't be scared of whats out there, be scared of not ever trying to get to it,, and thinking about it, on your last days saying to yourself, what if I had just tried?.besides you will have great stories to tell even if you don't succeed as long as you live lmao...sei la vie
Old 18-06-2008, 21:05   #25

do you get a free vegimite sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Ummm, yeah. But I have only done the: "fork out $600 to a bunch of Panamanians" bit.

As for pets.... I'm the only animal on board here.... but I would be worried about some governments... The Ecuadorians who own the Galapagos will prolly shoot you if your cat plays 'hide the sausage' on one of their 3 headed iguanas.... then there's the New Zealanders - ask Alan about them! Then you get to Australia where they make you sand the boat then burn it, kill the pets and jail you - but they give you free medical care in custody (including sex change ops!)

I hope this helps.

Mark
isnt auzzie land 3 to 1 women to men? and Im leaving my pussy
cat at home. lmao I have lots friends in auzzie land, from playing rubgy and when I was in Ios. I just haven't been there yet . but its on my to do list .ill pass on the sex change thow .free medical sounds good It hurts when I do this type lmao thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 12:42   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Christaichi,

You are so close to paradise right in your own backyard. Why don't you use the Bahamas for a training ground first? I too use to think I needed to get to Tahiti right away. After spending 4 seasons in the Bahamas, especially the Exuamas.......TAHITI can wait a while longer for now.
Old 10-07-2008, 13:32   #27

I agree with imagine2frolic - I don't know why you would skip the Bahamas and the bulk of the Caribbean in your own back yard - For insight from some experienced Western Caribbean cruisers, go here:

BoatUS Cruising Logs

But, we were exclusively Bahamas/Eastern Caribbean sailors, so I'm biased.

In any case, the books you want to be reading are cruising guides - there must be several/many for the Western Caribbean. The basic route is common and well travelled: A multi-day passage from western Florida to Isla Mujures in the Yucatan Channel. You will find many fellow cruisers there. From there you slowly and leisurely coastal sail/island hop down the Yucatan Penisula, Belize/Guatemala, Honduras, (never met anyone who had sailed in Nicaragua),Costa Rica, San Blas/Panama.

Bearing in mind that:

1. I have no Western Caribbean sailing experience and;

2. I have no idea how single handers make multi-day passages or anchor and dock 40' boats for that matter;

I recommend that you do a practice cruise(s) to the Keys/Dry Tortugas before setting off for Isla Mujeres. And hurricaine season is not the best time to be contemplating this anyway - wait for late fall/winter.
Old 10-07-2008, 19:30   #28

Boat: Island Packet 45. Tiki Hut
You may want to read Islands Oceans and Dreams, by Michael Salvaneschi. Excellent reading. He started off sailing toTahiti and spent 7 years going around the world.
Old 10-07-2008, 19:57   #29

That dog looks so shiny and strong because Tao is the guy who rescued him and restored his good health. Without his herculean effort; more likely than not he would have died in a state of sickness, confusion and terror in the bush.
You are not respecting the posters that are trying to help you; well, ok...no big deal...but you would do well to learn to respect the sea.
The appalachian trail, travelling the world by land; I can assure you, its peanuts compared to the middle of the ocean. You won't be able to bushwhack your way out or slap together a lean to when a storm catches you.
You've got plenty of gumption, which might come in handy; but fool's courage won't help you if you haven't any knowledge or skill.
Do you know how to maintain and make emergency repairs to your boat and its essential gear?
Or have you just read about it in a book?
Can you navigate?
Can you read the water and sky?
You might think you can pick up a clarinet and play in an orchestra in short order; you seem not to realize that some endeavours require hard work, hands on experience and talent.
You are an apologist about your spelling; I guess its too much work to bother with learning that too, yet I'd guess you've spent more time apologizing over the years than it takes to learn how to spell.
(Insert repetitive internet acronyms here).
Perhaps you think its endearing? The ocean has no interest in your cute foibles or bluster and its no place for the lazy or impatient.
The milk run route is well documented; yet you don't know what time of year to make passages?
Too much work to locate and study a pilot chart? Too boring?
You are surprised that storms hit Belize in hurricane season?
You don't have even the simplest grasp of weather patterns?
I know...that would take abit of time and study, and you're not into that.
Being a novice is not so disconcerting. What does raise the biggest red flag I've ever seen flapping is that after all your travels and experiences of fifty years, you don't seem to have learned one of life's most simple lessons:
to listen and learn.
But a guy like you probably knows that already.
Sorry to have wasted your time reading this post; I'm quite certain you've learned nothing from it.
Bon Voyage.
Old 10-07-2008, 21:25   #30

people sure can be determined about some things....this kind of reminds me of the movie 'into the wild', remember chris mccandless, the city boy who died in alaska? he needed to get away from it all, he did, he died.

Tags
tahiti

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: