Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:50   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I need help in Cruiser's Wiki: Astoria and North Coast

Hi all my friends. I got over to Cruisers Wiki and started imputing the stuff for Oregon, Washington and the Columbia Bank. It made me realize really how little I really know, and how much cruising info is needed out there. We really need to fill in around the Salish Sea, but what stumped me was good advice about crossing the Columbia bank. We all know what this is about, but I have done it less than a half dozen times and really feel inadequate about putting advice in this area. Could some of you help me out?
I think anyone coming our way should be warned about the bank, when to go in and how to get information on current conditions. Also, Astoria really is a hidden gem. The more I play there, the more I like it. Kinda hate to hide that type of knowledge.
What do ya say? Worthwhile to spend a little time and get this going?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 13:34   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: I need help in Cruiser's Wiki: Astoria and North Coast

Really, nobody cares about Astoria and the Columbia Bank? Ok, I guess i will just keep on writing. Just I know my opinion is not always right
Old 04-06-2013, 13:46   #3

I'd never heard of Cruising Wiki!
Columbia bank knowledge: Avoid it! It's the "Graveyard of the Pacific"...haha

Seriously... maybe it's pretty complex to really advise on?... maybe not.. Kinda like you need to advise on state of tide, state of wind, wind direction etc ... alot of variables to gain knowledge on and publish. You could just go to the Pacific Coast Pilot and refer that info I suppose.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 14:13   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I'd never heard of Cruising Wiki!
Right next to your name at the top of the page when you're logged in, Cheech, you'll find a link to World Cruising and Sailing Wiki.

Do yourself a favor . . . check it out!

TaoJones
Old 04-06-2013, 14:15   #5

It's amazing how mch I dont look at.... never even noticed it before! I think I just "autotune" anything that looks like an ad out. Thanks

Old 04-06-2013, 15:29   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for helping me so I don't think I live in a vacuum my friends. One you get registered Cheechako it is simple to start filling in the blanks. You will probably laugh when you see the big holes in my knowledge base.
Old 04-06-2013, 15:38   #7

Nah, Only been in and out a couple times there, salmon fishing many years ago...
I signed up and got an email saying "this confirmation code will expier...etc" but I got no code! Not sure how to proceed...

Old 04-06-2013, 16:11   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I need help in Cruiser's Wiki: Astoria and North Coast

Could put loads of info in about Europe, Carib, USA, S. Pacific, Oz etc... but apparently as of today I know SFA.... so I wont...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 17:20   #9

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Spring tides, runoff into the Columbia basin and high northwesterlies make for a potent mixture, Newt. Late summer and mid winter between storms are probably the most predictable crossing conditions but that can vary with wind conditions, releases from dams upstream as well as commercial traffic. The USCG Astoria Station is as good a resource as any in trying to scope out the optimal time of year but you will never be certain until you get there and scope out the conditions first hand.
You should have the skills to heave to outside and wait for better conditions if need be but not anywhere near the shipping channel!
I've made several deliveries up to Portland, Vancouver,WA and Astoria over the years and found the USCG one of the best sources for bar conditions in addition to trying to sort it out yourself. After you are past the entrance (well marked by channel buoys), you will find a strong outflow so be prepared for a slog upstream.
Safe Travels... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:03   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Phil- I have made the passage, but just feel like someone like you needs to "look over" what I have said and flesh out the info so it is more meaningful.
Boatman and Cheech- I had trouble initially too, but the mods here (esp. Janet) came to my rescue and got me on. Perhaps they could do the same for you? Janet are you listening?
Old 23-06-2013, 15:33   #11

Boat: 1987 Californian Aftcabin 42'

anyone know of any marinas in the Astoria area on either side of the river that will allow liveaboards to stay over the winter? (42ft boat) Thanks for any advise
firedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 00:56   #12

I'm not familiar with cruising wikki.
I don't think I have a wealth of knowledge about the area to add. Having been there once.
Just good on you for trying.
One of the difficulties I had was finding a good source of info about the Columbia.
I should have brought the US west coast pilot book before I came down. Finding a good cruising guide proved difficult. I visited 3 chandlers in Portland getting things together and was unable to get one though the evergreen atlas and maptec atlas proved excellent investments.
I got most of my info from friendly sailors.
The big thing about the bar is avoiding a wind against tide and big swell. By picking slack water or flood the conditions will be the most favorable. It would appear stay well up to the North and not being tempted to cut corner if coming from or going south.
The wind appears to pick up during the day as the sea breeze strengthens so early morning slack would appear to be the best option.
Arriving in Astoria at the end of a hot summer day, Wind westerly 25 to 30 steep chop against current. A couple of hours later light airs. I would suspect this is typical high pressure system conditions.
Even on a relatively benign day the breakers on the bar were impressive.

PS After arriving about 1930 cold and wet from steep 3ft chop. Went for a walk towards Golden Arches, Stopped at first sign of bar. The waterfront Bistro. Bit posh, But the fish and chips were excellent and the locally brewed ale even better. Son had a burger with his beer also excellent.

Met a couple of live aboards in west basin.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 07:25   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks UK. I would be interested in impressions of anyone that travels this way- ie: what is needed in the wiki?
Old 24-06-2013, 10:04   #14

Boat: 1985 Islander Freeport 38C aka IF38C

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Hi all my friends. I got over to Cruisers Wiki and started imputing the stuff for Oregon, Washington and the Columbia Bank. It made me realize really how little I really know, and how much cruising info is needed out there. We really need to fill in around the Salish Sea, but what stumped me was good advice about crossing the Columbia bank. We all know what this is about, but I have done it less than a half dozen times and really feel inadequate about putting advice in this area. Could some of you help me out?
I think anyone coming our way should be warned about the bank, when to go in and how to get information on current conditions. Also, Astoria really is a hidden gem. The more I play there, the more I like it. Kinda hate to hide that type of knowledge.
What do ya say? Worthwhile to spend a little time and get this going?
Hello. Just checked out the Cruising Wiki for Astoria. THANKS for what is in there so far. I am not registered there but wanted to give you this link for customs check-in facilities in Astoria Port Of Entry - Astoria

I called them and they said to call ahead if possible as possible, that they are staffed M-F 7 to 5 and would need to call someone for a weekend check in. Docking in the West end Mooring Basin (at least for our 38 footer). I did not think to ask about docking for other size boats.
exterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 10:10   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the feedback ET. I will add the link next time I get on, along with some of the experience on this thread. :-)