Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2008, 09:49   #1

How is the sailing on east coast of Baja California?

Gulf de California waters? Any islands to vist along the coast. What about the Pacific side too. Im going to buy a home in Idaho soon and Im looking for a place to lanch and store a new 44 to 50ft catamarn in
an area to the south. I plan to go crusing in the winters when its cold
in Idaho. Any ideas where I should be thinking about?
Down there I could also go out to the Pacific Islands later.
How clear is the water around Baji coast east side and west side.

Looking for some info from people that have been there.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 12:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The west cosst is rough and not friendly for anchoring. The east coast is where many people go. Fresh water is in short supply. The water is pretty clear and the sun is strong and plentiful.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 18:04   #3

Baja sailing

I read that old timers even make a large loop out to Hawaii then back to Calif when they head back north from sailing the Baja east coast area.
Im trying to decide if I want to keep the Cat down in Florida and cruise
down south from there. That might be a better option. Ive found some property on the west coast of Florida that is cheap $79,000 just to keep the boat at the property free just the cost of taxes $2200 year.
I would leave it there when back in Idaho. I would rather have it out of the water dry dock but there are not alot around on the west coast of florida for large cats.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 18:59   #4

Boat: Irwin- Barefoot 37CC (Custom MK V) "Quest"
I went down the west coast, around the capes. over to Mazatlan and North to San Carlos. I summered in San Carlos, sonora and sailed the Sea of Cortez for 6 years and loved it. Every year I would cross from San Carlos to the Baja, and planned to go south to puerto villata and points south, but never got below la Paz. We just enjoyed the Sea of Cortez side of the Baja so much.

San Carlos is a popular summering port because there is a big storage yard there Marina SECCA which is inland almost a mile, it is out of the hurricane zone, and meets the insurance requirements of being north of 27 north during the hurricane season. Storage and dockage is limited for multihulls however and many (especially the bigger ones) go further east to Guamas. Guamas is a bigger city, more traditionally Mexican, is a commercial fishing port, and the storage yard there has been dirtier and less attractive, but the city is undergoing a complete waterfront makeover, and may be completely different by the time you would want to go there.

It's a good ride going down the west coast of Baja as the current runs north to south at about 2 knots, the winds are out of the North and the sea the same. It's a bash going back however and many (as I did) elect to truck back rather than sail.

God luck

Joe S
svquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 15:56   #5

clipper route

Look up the 'Clipper Route'.
Not quite to Hawaii, but can get you as far north as you want. There was recent article in latitude38 about it. you can look it up at latitude38.com
clipper route - Google Search
pakmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 18:29   #6

Boat: Beneteau 331 (33") - Second Wind
My wife and I just returned from Mexico we really enjoyed it. The sailing in the Sea is fantastic although the wind is typically a little lighter than most would like for sailing. La Paz is a great place to base yourself when cruising that area. There are probably more marine shops and boating resources in La Paz than all other Pacific Mexican cities combined.

Many insurance companies will allow you to keep a boat below N27 if you are in an approved marina. In La Paz, your best bet is Costa Baja Marina's inner basin. It is a very nice resort type marina and La Paz is one of the best cities in Mexico! Water in the Sea is crystal clear. Marina de La Paz and Marina Palmera are also nice but not as well protected. Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo both have marinas but they cater more towards sport fisherman and are extremely expensive. Most sailors avoid Cabo if possible. Mazatlan is a nice city but the water is not nearly as clear. Marina Mazatlan is well protected and many keep there boats there for the summer. They also have great prices for the summer. The smaller El Cid Marina is a little more exposed and more expensive. Puerto Vallarta is probably one of the safest places to keep a boat below N27 in Pacific Mexico. Storms rarely head deep into Banderas Bay. PV and Nuevo Vallarta marinas will be a little harder to find space in due to a shortage of slips down there.

So those are a few options to consider but as SVQUEST2 suggested, San Carlos is the safest by far.
cory_reinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:37   #7

Videorov,

The Sea of Cortez is simply GREAT! You can spend years there and still not see many of the anchorages. During the summer IT IS HOT, but VERY clear water with fantastic diving and fishing, and not much wind (until a hurricane stirs things up). During the winter there is wind, but the water is not as warm and clear.

Even our trip down the west coast was a LOT of fun. We found many places to stop along the way and although there is still a lot of talk about the "clipper route (almost to Hawaii and back)" back to the USA, it is not used all that much any more.

We sailed from San Francisco, in 2004, down around Cabo and into the Sea of Cortez. We have spent 3 summers in the Sea and are now in Mazatlan. Take a look at our web site for a lot of information on the area. Look at our "Position Reports" area for a lot of photos.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:54   #8

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Whats with this almost to Hawaii and back stuff?If you sail into the middle of the Pacific you may as well go the few hundred extra miles,stop and rest for a couple of weeks.Its probably a safer plan.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:20   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Highseas,

It is the clipper route....aka tradewinds in which to do trade. I understand your point of view, but some people have a time schedule. I do believe it is only several hundred miles off the coast, and not nearly close to Hawaii.

Being an ex Baja Basher single-handed I have learned my lesson.....Another thing the wind isn't always from the north. Read Feb 94 Lat38, and you will read about spilt milk......my milk!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja, california, east coast