Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 10:32   #1

Boat: Crown 34
Hot Springs Cove - Jan 2015 Earthquake

For those interested, the recent earthquake near Tofino, British Columbia has caused the water at Hot Springs Cove to cool significantly.
Hot springs near Tofino run cold after earthquake - British Columbia - CBC News

Earthquake Report (2015-01-07)

I really hope the water temp bounces back over time (and not just because I planned to go back). This will be a significant hit to local businesses in Tofino who rely on the tourist dollars.

Oddly, I posted on this very topic last year following an earthquake near Haida Gwaii. Please tell me I didn't jinx it!! It is truly an amazing place and I'll be very sad if it doesn't return to being 'hot'. But I'm also grateful for having been allowed to experience it (and to get my board down on the trail). I was also fortunate enough to have had my young kids along who were at the perfect age to experience its magic in a way that we all should!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FamFun.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	432.2 KB
ID:	95223   Click image for larger version

Name:	GunsBlazin.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	95224  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SplashesOfCold.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	95225   Click image for larger version

Name:	BoardTime.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	449.3 KB
ID:	95226  

Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 16:17   #2

Re: Hot Springs Cove - Jan 2015 Earthquake

I understand that the water is back up to temperature. It is one of the highlights for my students when we go around the Island.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 17:54   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hot springs in cold climes provide miniature tropical oases: just magic! :-D
Old 17-01-2015, 20:48   #4

Boat: 55'alloy performance cruiser

Hi Ann, When I was in my late 20's I was log salvaging the west coast of Vancouver Island to pay for my sailing lifestyle. We had "Candlewin" then, the 48' Herrshoff. We made our base at Hotsprings Cove for several months while pulling logs off the miles of beaches in the area. I remember the delight of zooming down to the springs in the evening to soak away the day's sore muscles. This was in '79 before it became over subscribed. We were lazy at the end of the day's work though and would just go down in the work skiff and clamor out on the rocks , then anchor the skiff outside the surge.
My career in the coastal freight business gave us the opportunity to drop our big bow door onto various rocky shores on the coast to take a dip in the hot pools of the B.C. coast.
Glad the temp is back.
Greg
Mirar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 08:34   #5

Boat: Crown 34

I'm really glad they have come back up to temp! That's great news.

Greg - sounds like a blast! Dropping that ol' bow door WWII style. Love it!

Apart from the one above, plus the spring on the Charlottes, (and the 'warm' one at Ahousat), I don't know of others. Are there many?
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 15:22   #6

Boat: 55'alloy performance cruiser

I seem to recall that there over 90 in B.Columbia and 54 are on the coast. There is a small book called Hot Springs of British Columbia or some such. I have managed to hit only a few.
Greg
Mirar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 18:29   #7

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirar View Post
Hi Ann, When I was in my late 20's I was log salvaging the west coast of Vancouver Island to pay for my sailing lifestyle. We had "Candlewin" then, the 48' Herrshoff. We made our base at Hotsprings Cove for several months while pulling logs off the miles of beaches in the area. I remember the delight of zooming down to the springs in the evening to soak away the day's sore muscles. This was in '79 before it became over subscribed. We were lazy at the end of the day's work though and would just go down in the work skiff and clamor out on the rocks , then anchor the skiff outside the surge.
My career in the coastal freight business gave us the opportunity to drop our big bow door onto various rocky shores on the coast to take a dip in the hot pools of the B.C. coast.
Glad the temp is back.
Greg
We missed each other by about 20years, Greg... Did the same thing trolling out of Port Alberni and delivering black ol barges to Tofino and Ucluyet back in the 50's and early 60's.
Have some great B&W photos somewhere of those days and heaps of good memories, particularly having a bath in the bottom pool that is cooled by the ocean swell. Top pool was always to hot for me!
I understand that the greenies run the show up there now so glad I left about 30 years ago... So are they I'm sure. Cheers,
Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 22:09   #8

We also have 2 hot springs out here in the desert, one near Brawley, one near Holtville. Like yours, ours are also filled with Canadians. LOL

Retired snowbird nudists. They're fun to talk to, as long as you keep looking them in the eye.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote