Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2008, 20:02   #1

Boat: J 35 / Grainger 30' Tri
Hong Kong to Manila

I've done this crossing half a dozen times, Its 604 nm from HK to Mnl. It's best to avoid the typhoon (storm) season thats from July to early October (though some typhoons come as late as December) The best time to make the crossing would be from Feb. to May. Expect moderate to strong winds off Hong Kong and moderate to light winds as you approach the Philippines. Off Hong Kong, You'll probably have your weather gear">foul weather gear on, then as you near the Philippines, you'll probably be sailing bare chested, enjoying the tropical waters. I can give more specific details to anyone planning to make the crossing, just post your questions. Well, Happy Sailing!
Sail Dumaguete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 20:45   #2

Boat: Catalina, 22 - Ambitious
This will be a bit later in my life, but I'm planning on sailing from Busan (korea) to Boracay someday. Just wondering about pirates in the South China Seas. Do you ever worry about them?
koreasailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 02:53   #3

well, recently, i haven't heard of any incidents involving pirates in the China Sea, and if your goin to boracay, i know its pretty safe up to that point, not sure about going further south. Every year, around Feb., we have a race from manila to boracay. Its wonderful sailing, passing thru the different islands until you reach the shores of boracay. Happy sailing!
Old 26-08-2008, 03:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Piracy in the S. China Sea, has been most prevalent further South, around the Straits of Malacca.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 07:44   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Dumaguete View Post
Its wonderful sailing, passing thru the different islands until you reach the shores of boracay. Happy sailing!

We've been talking about the Manila / Boracay race a lot around here. I would love to do it and so would a few friends. We just gotta get it organized. One of my friends, who's done it, says it's important to be on a fast boat so you get to Boracay quick for fun and games ;-)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 08:04   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
It will probably 3-5 years, but my goal is to get to the Phils as fast as possible. It sure is pretty there!!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 19:15   #7

The Standard Manila-Boracay race this Feb. 2009 is even more special, As the President's Cup Regatta will also be held in Boracay, right after the finish and awards ceremony of the Mnl-Bora race. Then its regatta sailing for 4 days around the islands of Boracay, Carabao, etc. There's usually either one long race or two short races per day. So it's racing by day, and partying by night! If you like i can post the notice of race for the Boracay race and the President's cup. I've been doing this race since it's inception 8 years ago, and i always look forward to it, I used to do the China Sea race (hk-mnl) but this race is more forgiving and fun! cheers! (btw, maybe we should start a thread about the Bora race)
Old 14-06-2010, 02:40   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 45 Hirsch
Send a message via Skype™ to g5665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Dumaguete View Post
I've done this crossing half a dozen times, Its 604 nm from HK to Mnl. It's best to avoid the typhoon (storm) season thats from July to early October (though some typhoons come as late as December) The best time to make the crossing would be from Feb. to May. Expect moderate to strong winds off Hong Kong and moderate to light winds as you approach the Philippines. Off Hong Kong, You'll probably have your foul weather gear on, then as you near the Philippines, you'll probably be sailing bare chested, enjoying the tropical waters. I can give more specific details to anyone planning to make the crossing, just post your questions. Well, Happy Sailing!
in the future me and my wife maybe sailing that route... from Macau to Philippines...
What do you advise for a person with not much experience... boat, equipment, etc...

thanks
J
g5665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 04:04   #9

J,
Not a difficult passage, timing is the only benchmark - don't plan for Typhoon season
If you want an experienced sailor to keep you company from Macao to Manila, PM me and I will send you contact details. What type of boat do you have?
R
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 08:56   #10

We are in process of choosing the right equipment... that's why i asked... which boat, equipment...etc...for a beginner...
Old 14-06-2010, 17:27   #11

Start off, need to know :-
Budget?
What will the boat be used for?
Sail ?
Power ?
Will you keep it in the Philippines?
Is so, best to buy it in the Philippines (TAXES!)
If the above, speak to Mike Allen - Boatshop Philippines, Inc.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 19:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Start off, need to know :-
Budget?
What will the boat be used for?
Sail ?
Power ?
Will you keep it in the Philippines?
Is so, best to buy it in the Philippines (TAXES!)
If the above, speak to Mike Allen - Boatshop Philippines, Inc.
Good morning

I will try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities...
Budget.... that's only thing we can't answer right now... we will adapt it to the needs (but of course we talking about a small boat)
The boat will be used for weekend trips around south china sea... occasionally sailing to Philippines, and other tropical Asian countries...if possible one day sailing also to East Timor but making several stops on the way...

We would like a sailing boat, either one hull or double hull or tri....

the boat will be kept in Macau... or in Thailand (we have house in Thailand) ...not in Philippines... that's why we don't want a big expensive boat...in Macau wont be cheap to keep a big boat...

What we looking now is to gather some info in what concerns equipment, problems, concerns, etc...
I did a sailing course some years ago...holding a official licence from the Maritime Dept in Macau for power boats.

I read that some people did the crossing to Philippines with a 30ft boat...2 persons... so we looking for something similar...just for a couple (and a dog!)... we not looking for something very fancy...

Thks for your advises
Old 14-06-2010, 22:10   #13

Boat: Swan 56
A boat for the China Sea? Anything seaworthy really... and by that I mean not poorly maintained.

If you're in Macau, take a trip to Hong Kong and go round the yacht club notice boards. There has been a steady stream of X-99's lately going for reasonable prices - which seems to be the type of thing you are after.

My tactics would be:
- Don't go in the Typhoon season, especially late in the typhoon season. Somewhere in March April May would be my first choice. After the NE monsoon has stopped blowing with bite.
- Leave at first light and get off the shelf as quick as you can. You should be able to do this in the first night
- In the morning head off south of the rhumb line, you should pick up current.
- Try not to close the Philippine coast too early. 1) there's no wind, 2) there's lots of debris and also unlit bouys (especially off Subic).

And go to Puerto Gallera - it's much nicer than Manila
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 11:03   #14

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
I can second Puerto Gallera, although it has been many years since I was there.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 03:30   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Hyde Far East
Quote:
Originally Posted by g5665 View Post
Good morning

I will try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities...
Budget.... that's only thing we can't answer right now... we will adapt it to the needs (but of course we talking about a small boat)
The boat will be used for weekend trips around south china sea... occasionally sailing to Philippines, and other tropical Asian countries...if possible one day sailing also to East Timor but making several stops on the way...

We would like a sailing boat, either one hull or double hull or tri....

the boat will be kept in Macau... or in Thailand (we have house in Thailand) ...not in Philippines... that's why we don't want a big expensive boat...in Macau wont be cheap to keep a big boat...

What we looking now is to gather some info in what concerns equipment, problems, concerns, etc...
I did a sailing course some years ago...holding a official licence from the Maritime Dept in Macau for power boats.

I read that some people did the crossing to Philippines with a 30ft boat...2 persons... so we looking for something similar...just for a couple (and a dog!)... we not looking for something very fancy...

Thks for your advises
You could get a suitable boat for under HKD300K but plan to spend another HKD30 - 50K on safety and radio equipment ... PM me if you want help to find a suitable boat ... there are also some very good buys already in the Philippines and you could do the trip in reverse ... Simon
Hyde Far East is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hong Kong