Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
So what was the end of this story?
"La luta continua" ...

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 00:02   #78

Re: Hong Kong to Manila

Hello i am finishing my exchange in Chinese university of hong kong end of November and I want to sail direction Australia through philipines and therefore I am looking for a boat.I am sailing since I know how to walk have experience in regatta as well as in cruising. I joined my aunt every year during the 7 years of her world tour around the world.
I am participating in dragons regatta at the time in Hong Kong .
If you know somebody traveling between December and January this route please refer to me.
Cheers Loik
emeryloik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 18:07   #79

Can an Astondoa 76 easily sail from Hong Kong to Manila?

I have no experience with sailing/boating but might be required to accompany the crew on the journey.

How long will the journey take? I don't want to vomit non-stop for X days.

greenarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:39   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Dumaguete View Post
I've done this crossing half a dozen times, Its 604 nm from HK to Mnl. It's best to avoid the typhoon (storm) season thats from July to early October (though some typhoons come as late as December) The best time to make the crossing would be from Feb. to May. Expect moderate to strong winds off Hong Kong and moderate to light winds as you approach the Philippines. Off Hong Kong, You'll probably have your weather gear">foul weather gear on, then as you near the Philippines, you'll probably be sailing bare chested, enjoying the tropical waters. I can give more specific details to anyone planning to make the crossing, just post your questions. Well, Happy Sailing!
Hi I am planning to travel from Manila to HK by sea.. How many hours it will take to reach my destination?? and what would be the shipping company you can advice?? thanks in advance for the reply...
camzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 00:53   #81

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Divide 604 by the average boat speed in knots and that will give you the approximate number of hours. If your boat is traveling at 6 knots, the journey would take about 106+ hours or 4 days and a titch. However, if you made the crossing on a commercial ship, like a container ship at 20 knots, the trip would take 30+ hours which is one day plus about 6 hours. Big difference, heh?

I'm not aware of any shipping companies running passenger service from Manila to HK, and none of the shipping companies who advertise passenger space on their ships list Manila as a destination. You might try contacting the companies in HK who make the trip to Manila, to see if they accept passengers. it would be worth a try.

BTW you will need a visa to visit the Philippines unless you are a citizen of one of the ASEAN nations.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:01   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, camzzz.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 23:08   #83

Thanks for the reply and for welcoming me here.. hmm. Is it more expensive than flying on plane?
camzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:58   #84

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Sometimes it is more expensive, sometimes it is not. The last time I checked it cost about $2,500USD to ride a container ship from a China port to a west coast USA port. If you shop around, you can get an airline ticket for less than $1,000 cattle class. Manila or Cebu to LA usually less than $900 if you catch the right deal, which is not that hard to do. The ship will take 3 weeks give or take, the airplane ride less than a day. Of course, riding cattle class you have no leg room and a good chance of screaming kids all around you. On the ship, you get a private room, and usually pretty good food, all included.

Within the Philippines, it costs around $50 USD or less depending on the class to take a ferry to Manila from most anywhere in the Visayas. To fly the same route is usually $10 to $30 USD more. Depending upon the promotion running at the time you buy your ticket. Within the Philippines, I almost always take the ferry as I enjoy being at sea, I find it very relaxing and the security is not near the hassle as it is at the airport. On the downside, it takes about an hour to an hour and a half to fly and a day or so to take the ferry. If you opt for a suite on the ferry you usually get a separate dining room and the food is usually pretty good. Then again the airlines are chronically late while the ferry is usually on time or early. The Manila airport is nightmarish in most respects, the Cebu airport better by a little, both are out of the way and traffic can be nightmarish. The ferry ports tend to be close to downtown and offload you much closer to your probable destination.
Old 20-09-2016, 00:58   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Dumaguete View Post
I've done this crossing half a dozen times, Its 604 nm from HK to Mnl. It's best to avoid the typhoon (storm) season thats from July to early October (though some typhoons come as late as December) The best time to make the crossing would be from Feb. to May. Expect moderate to strong winds off Hong Kong and moderate to light winds as you approach the Philippines. Off Hong Kong, You'll probably have your foul weather gear on, then as you near the Philippines, you'll probably be sailing bare chested, enjoying the tropical waters. I can give more specific details to anyone planning to make the crossing, just post your questions. Well, Happy Sailing!
I have a boat being delivered to HK in late November and i want to bring it to Subic Bay in the Philippines. Without a typhoon present are the seas navigable? +
Freedom Seaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 10:35   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Seaker View Post
I have a boat being delivered to HK in late November and i want to bring it to Subic Bay in the Philippines. Without a typhoon present are the seas navigable? +
Never made the crossing myself, but it seems that the original Poster - Sail Dumagete - has already answered your question. In good weather, no problem.

On a sailboat, you will need a 5 day window to be safe, and you should have a weather fax or some other means of getting potential typhoon and gale force updates a few days out.

Some very good sailors recently disappeared doing this trip when they took off from HK in ( I believe Oct) and misjudged a storm system which originated in the Pacific, but crossed Php and caught them 250 miles offshore in the China Sea.

Be careful and have a solid "plan B" should the situation change rather suddenly.

G2L
Old 22-09-2016, 10:41   #87

End of Story - Re: Hong Kong to Manila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
So what was the end of this story?
Bought a boat in Php instead and have lived happily ever after cruising around lots of muddy harbors and visiting the occasional, amazingly pristine paradise : )

G2L
Old 25-11-2016, 17:50   #88

I'm looking to sail from the Philippines to Hong Kong in March. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
markuspukonen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hong Kong