Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2010, 05:35   #16

Hi all,

Puerto Galera is still nice. Usually ya just pull in and they'll direct you to a mooring. 4 or 5 usd a day??? They have a shuttle boat that'll pick ya up/drop off at will. Always met helpful, nice folks at the club.

Subic is actually a great place if you need work done. Lots of helpful people there.

Farther south we've been going to Koto Kinabula back and forth few times over the years without drama. Other yachties were going over the n/ne side to Sandakan (spelling??) and loved it. Kudat on the north tip of Borneo has a wide Travel-lift/cat friendly. The authorities in Malaysia/Borneo were absolutely great. No fees, friendly.

The area got some bad publicity when a group captured tourist in Palawan. I also recall a Japanese tug being held for ransom. Otherwise, that's all I've heard of.

Palawan has some beautiful spots and Busuanga is a gem. Locals have always been kind, friendly and fun. Water is nice and clean down that way and you'll see less trash (if any) except around Puerto Princessa.

Let me put a plug in for Simon though I don't think we've met......Hyde over on Mactan/Cebu has been very helpful with repairs and also provided a new set of sails on time at an outstanding price. I've heard the same report from friends over the years.

If anyone new is coming this way I'd suggest ignoring Manila completely by boat. You can bus it there if needed for next to nothing (air-con/comfy). Roughly 2.5-3 hours from Subic Bay/Clark area. About the same maybe few minutes more from Marivelles, Bataan. You can stop at mayamaya.com and leave your boat safe and bus outta Nasugbu, Bantangas (3 hours average). I heard Punta Fuego has transient berths at times. It's just dirty, dirty water and I've found the MYC less then friendly. Black crap from the pollution gets on your boat daily too. Sewer runs right into the club. Nothing against them personally, just not the nicest spot to be.

There's enough places to anchor also between Subic and Puerto Galera if no storms or strong habagat. Hamilo Cove is reasonable is you tuck back in and get caught out with a fast developing typhoon. In Subic I believe most step into the yacht club thought there's a river-ish looking area on the n/nw side of the bay I've heard is good. PG has been good for those on moorings.....ships tend to crowd in and drag though just to the n/ne of the clubs area.

Boracay is fun too, though I heard they've cracked down on dinghies coming ashore. Anyone know the current scene? Better to anchor there in the ne season. Good food, yes crowded at times, but well worth a visit. Interesting cast of ex-pats from around the world have set-up shop there.

The people are amazingly friendly and kind and it's a rare day you meet a jerk. It's affordable and varied enough to satisfy just about anyone for a trip or to stay.

Hope this helps someone....

best - J
jaydh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 06:21   #17

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I'll be heading to PI in the early spring of 2012. Might I ask where one can pick up charts for Philippine area?
I fly into Manila every couple of years or so and should probably pick up some charts while I'm there (probably this coming Jan.)

Or can I get them here in Seattle?
Old 23-06-2010, 07:50   #18

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I was interested in this post and have been reading it as I have my boat presently on the hook in the Canadian Gulf Islands or near Vancouver Island. I have a home and wife back on Mindanoe Island and have been looking at places where I could safely keep my boat in Php. Nothing good locally close to Dipolog so have considered getting a spot farther away. At the present I have two options, sailing across or selling this boat here and getting a smaller Catermaran on the other side. Subic has some interest. Any of you know the cost of permanent moorage (especially during typhoon season) if available in that area.
Old 23-06-2010, 15:39   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
? ➥ ASIA - SAIL PHILIPPINES

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 22:17   #20

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I'll be heading to PI in the early spring of 2012. Might I ask where one can pick up charts for Philippine area?
I fly into Manila every couple of years or so and should probably pick up some charts while I'm there (probably this coming Jan.)

Or can I get them here in Seattle?
NAMRIA (Philippine mapping agency) sales offices:
National Mapping and Resource Information Authority

You can also download some old NOAA historical charts here. Good for planning, but not for navigation...blah....blah..

http://historicalcharts.noaa.gov/historicals/historical_zoom.asp
(search: Region, Philippines)

and Admiralty also do some.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 22:29   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Cebu Chart Offoce...

I got some Philippine charts a few years ago from the Chart Office in Cebu City, near the port area. Large format, black on white, heavy good quality paper. By current standards they were cheap.

My memory of where it was is hazy but my trusty old (2003) Lonely Planet guidebook lists the National Mapping and Resource Agency (Namria: tel 412 1749: Room 301, 3rd Floor, Osnena Bldg, cnr. Osmena Blvd and Jakosalem St; open 8am-noon and 1pm-5pm Mon Fri)
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 22:43   #22

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
I was interested in this post and have been reading it as I have my boat presently on the hook in the Canadian Gulf Islands or near Vancouver Island. I have a home and wife back on Mindanoe Island and have been looking at places where I could safely keep my boat in Php. Nothing good locally close to Dipolog so have considered getting a spot farther away. At the present I have two options, sailing across or selling this boat here and getting a smaller Catermaran on the other side. Subic has some interest. Any of you know the cost of permanent moorage (especially during typhoon season) if available in that area.
The Philippines is full of lovely little typhoon anchorages and a few yacht clubs have their own moorings. I don't know that part of the country that well, but I would have thought that Dipolog is south enough not to be bothered by typhoons too often.

Cost of a mooring: a few USD. But if I was going to be based in one place, I'd put down my own.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 10:46   #23

Thanks all for the chat info!

Bewitched, I've been told by some PI cruisers that most of the country below the 10th parallel is basically typhoon safe.
Old 24-06-2010, 11:40   #24

Here is a little history of 1972 of which I spent in the S. China Sea. FUN!

Old 24-06-2010, 15:14   #25

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Thanks all for the chat info!

Bewitched, I've been told by some PI cruisers that most of the country below the 10th parallel is basically typhoon safe.
There are no real big typhoons down where I am which is a hair above the 7th parallel. I live a stones throw away from a fishing village area. The local fishermen take their boats out in June or July and put them back in October after the so called Typhoon season. However they are anchored in 5 ft. of water. A catermaran would be a better boat out there. If you have even a shoal draft keel like mine (5.5 ft. ) you would have to anchor out a long ways. What are the regs. for bringing a boat into the Php?
Old 27-06-2010, 01:07   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to Hyde Far East
Sail in clear immigration and customs as a visiting yacht and never leave ... dont try shipping in ...
Hyde Far East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:50   #27

Boat: Roberts 38 steel
I know this slightly off post but - I spent several years on Sangly Point near the entrance to Manila bay (1963 -65). I know the US Navy is no longer there, but does anyone know if the old shipyard from Spanish occupation days is still there ?? I've got a roberts steel 38' that I'm sailing in that direction in 2012.
millstb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 23:23   #28

Boat: Downeaster 38 Feet - Scappare
Send a message via AIM to melidramatic Send a message via Skype™ to melidramatic
Hello Dumaguete,

Any advice on how to obtain visas and cruising permits in advance? I went to the Philippines consulate and they gave me a sheet of paper to fill out particulars about our crew sailing to the Philippines and the vessel. It does not appear to be a true application though and I don't think the person I spoke with really knew what to advise someone trying to get their papers in order before sailing off. Any advice on what one needs before leaving HK, would be appreciated.

Thanks
melidramatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 23:46   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by millstb View Post
I know this slightly off post but - I spent several years on Sangly Point near the entrance to Manila bay (1963 -65). I know the US Navy is no longer there, but does anyone know if the old shipyard from Spanish occupation days is still there ?? I've got a roberts steel 38' that I'm sailing in that direction in 2012.
Not sure if you are describing Mariveles which had an American base
Here is an extract of the Chart to get in there :-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maya Maya.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	23749  
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 23:56   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post