Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 17:10   #31
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.
Re: Help: San Francisco + Sacramento River Delta area Info Needed

Love SF and the delta. In the process of doing the same - a liveaboard.
One thought, if you're not familiar with it, there was a major change in the State of CA use tax/sales tax a few years ago.

If you're not planning on staying, read up and be careful.
If you're going to be permanent, get ready for a serious contribution to all those folks who keep the waterways clear, the bridges raised, and roads in "some" repair.

CA Franchise Tax Board, Boat Registration overview in state and out of state.
Vessel Boat Registration and Information
You can drill down for more specifics.

There was a thread here a month or so ago by a guy who overstayed. Even though his boat was in a yard on the hard a good part of the time, he got nailed, as he was on his way out of state to Mexico.
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 17:10   #32

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Thanks to all who contributed here. I surely wasn't expecting this level, number, or depth of replies & information. I'll do some digging on my own via the provided leads & links. And if anyone's has more to add, and or relevant, helpful questions to ask me, by all means, please do so.

One thing runs though my mind on this area & topic. It sounds like in the Delta, the less draft the better, but what might one call the suggested max draft? Hypothetically speaking that is. And is the bottom in said neck of the woods solid enough for kedging one's self free with a smaller hook, if I make an error regarding "real estate"?

Also, am I correct in surmising that there are plenty of yards where one can haul out, & give their boat anything from a tuneup (like say new bottom paint), all the way up to doing a full on overhaul, like say in preparation for some deep ocean cruising?
And yes, I figure to do some digging on this topic on my own too, just looking for thoughts & or recommendations (AKA other's experiences with such).

PS: td0tz thanks for the tip. Any idea WTF CA does with all of this tax money? Sounds like they're main lining it like some illicit drug or something. Jeez.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:57   #33

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

The bottom of the delta is all silt or mud.. but in many sloughs you'll find the water depth go from 20 feet to 3 feet in a matter of yards.. We're deep draft at 8 feet and dont have an issue but we watch where we are going..
Uasally getting free isnt an issue as many times you can just swing the boat around and leave the way you entered..
Two main shipping channels go throu the delta, the Sacramento and the San joaquin river and the sloughs branch off of them, and get shallower as you go.. Many great anchorages are only a short distance off the channel.
But a great day of exploring by dink can take you up into the "medows" a very popular area to spend the summer by houseboat or shallow draft boat, (3 to 4 feet)
Concerning "kedging off" .. there is a term used quite often up here, Its called "Delta Time" and it refers to the idea of if we dont get it done this day or week, we've got another day in the future... so if you get stuck, set back, relax and in a few hours, the tides will change and set you free..
If its "hi-tide" when you stick it.. get out the plants and pink flamingos and set up house-keeping, as you've just aquired a new piece of land and home-stead procedures are in order..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:43   #34

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Also, am I correct in surmising that there are plenty of yards where one can haul out, & give their boat anything from a tuneup (like say new bottom paint), all the way up to doing a full on overhaul, like say in preparation for some deep ocean cruising?
And yes, I figure to do some digging on this topic on my own too, just looking for thoughts & or recommendations (AKA other's experiences with such).
When are you cruising through here? This is not first-hand knowledge, but I've heard there are yards up the Delta that are more reasonably priced compared to the ones in SF Bay (KKMI, SF Boat Works and Svendson's). You could call around or take a look at their websites, some of which have listed prices on standard items such as haul out, bottom paint, yanking masts, etc. The quietest time to haul out in the bay is right now through the next couple of months. It's also looking to be one of the wettest winters in a long time so finding a weather window for painting would be key though it shouldn't be too hard.

Post Script: I just reread your first post. If you plan to cruise around here for a bit, consider joining a yacht club (not all are expensive or hoity-toity). Unless you plan to anchor out most of the time, which you can't do right next to the city, most YCs will allow reciprocity to use their facilities and 1-2 days free guest berthing. It's a great deal that I use throughout California whether I'm in my boat or not.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:25   #35
jld

Boat: 27' Cape dory, Meander

I couldn’t say there are a lot of boat yards in the delta. The sailors I know use Ladd’s in Stockton or Walton’s in Rio Vista. I have only used Walton’s and have been highly pleased with them. I don’t know any thing about finding sail boat parts in Stockton or elsewhere around the delta. I wish I did. Maybe some of you could tell me. Usually I find my self going to Alameda. I first try the Blue pelican , and then Svendson’s. The WM in Alameda also caters to sail boats.
jld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:53   #36

In addition to Ladd's and Walton's, the Napa Valley Marina has a very good yard. Some will say it's not in the Delta, but it sure is on the way to get there.

We draw 6 feet, no problem. 8 would be fine, too, just keep your eye on the charts.

The magazine Bay & Delta Yachtsman, available IIRC online is another good resource in addition to Latitude 38.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 10:38   #37

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

I have a vague memory that Aeolian, a moderate cost and welcoming club at the bottom of Alameda, even has a toolroom for its members. I've shopped the Blue Pelican and also recommend it; you never know just what you'll find there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-07-2015, 23:17   #38

Watch the draw bridges also.
Need to call ahead for those.

First it's

then,

then,

then,

THEN,...

Cheers
MadBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 09:56   #39

Sail into "McCovey Cove" during a Giants game outside of AT&T park. May even catch a home run.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
gaspass3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delta, men, san francisco