Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2017, 05:42   #1

Boat: St. Francis 50
Help Deciding on Passage through the Cook Islands

My family and I leave soon for a year long sabbatical where we will join our catamaran in French Polynesia and work our way westward to Fiji- eventually down to New Zealand in November to miss cyclone season.

I doing some advance planning, we are looking at two potential routes through the Cook Islands- the southern route, with stops at Rarotonga, Aitutaki, Palmerston and Nuie (to Pago Pago) OR the northern route, with stops at Penrhyn, Manihiki, Pukapuka (to Pago Pago).

Would love to hear anyone's opinion on the "better route." For context, we have twin 13 year olds and and 11 year old and swimming, snorkeling, etc... is pretty important in our planning...
sandlb107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 20:33   #2

Boat: Privilege 482
Re: Help Deciding on Passage through the Cook Islands

We did the S route, hitting Palmerston, Beveridge reef, Nuie and then on to Tonga. We loved it and Beveridge and Nuie remain in our top destinations on our (so far) 5 year trip. Palmerston is a weird place (you have to go to know), but completely worth stopping there. We didn't stop at other Cook Islands because they were charging ridiculous fees for entry/ harbor fees- although I think they were working on undoing this, so check to see the current situation. Palmerston is sort of an entity all its own, and they charge a very reasonable fee. The whales at Nuie were amazing and the water clarity at Beveridge was the best I've ever seen, approaching close to 100m (it was literally like looking through air).

Other boats we knew did the North route. They seemed to enjoy it and they reported that Suwarrow was amazing. But every single one of them got beat up by weather at some point and most sustained some damage. We had nice weather the whole time, which could have just been luck, but I think staying further south and out of the convergence zone increases your chance of pleasant sailing.
Old 01-06-2017, 22:07   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Both routes will have plenty to keep the family interested. I would wait till Bora Bora and see what the weather is doing. By the time you will be there the South Pacific Convergance Zone can move down over the area making the S route possibly better. Every year will be different, but not fighting the weather is the way to good passages.
Old 01-06-2017, 22:34   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I've been to Penrhyn twice, and it is one of my favorite places. Check in and to to Tetautua on the weather side of the lagoon and you will be adopted into a local family. We spent a month each time. We sailed from Bora Bora and got a 12 hour gale the first time, but it was behind us.

Suvarov is nice too--lots of swimming with sharks. We tried to stop at Rakahanga, but the anchorage was too dodgy to stay.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:31   #5

Boat: Currently boatless

Our first pass we sailed from Mopelia to Suwarrow to Penrhyn and then back to Bora Bora. No particularly rough weather although on the windward sections we spent some time hove to in medium seas because the windward progress was too rough. Suwarrow was gorgeous (despite the restrictive regs) and Penryhn was amazing (despite the weird check in/check out issues - we were required to check in/out on the leeward side our year).

Still, on our second pass, we skipped the country entirely sailing directly Maupiti to Niue. When faced with the decision of another visit to the Cooks or more time in Niue/Tonga we chose the latter and I'm quite happy with our decision.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 13:58   #6

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

We did the south route. Some have suggested you make the decision at Bora Bora based on weather and I agree with that. But what will really happen is the kids will decide. They will have made friends and you will be going the same route as the other kid boats. Happy kids Happy boat.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 23:04   #7

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

We're in Tonga now. We left Raiatea and went to Rarotonga, Palmerston, Beveridge, Niue and then here (VaVa'U). Palmerston, Niue and Beveridge are three of our top spots ever. Rarotonga was cool but we wouldn't go again as the port is horrible and it is very expensive. Palmerston is not listed as an official port of entry to the Cooks but it IS legal to stop there.

Those that took the Northern route seemed to enjoy it........ but not as much as us I think :-)
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 23:08   #8

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36
Help Deciding on Passage through the Cook Islands

Oh, one thing - if you stop in Aitutaki or Rarotonga, ask around to get in touch with the locals on Palmerston so that you can take them some stuff when you visit there. They will really, really appreciate it.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cook Islands, passage