Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2008, 15:52   #1

Boat: homebuilt, 17ft, fathersdream
Send a message via AIM to seancrowne
Heading to Hawaii

well you guys have heard it all from me. dream boats destinations buisness diet and work. me and the misses both have left our jobs in the city and we are heading to hawaii, aloha island life. we are trying to get a feel for the liveaboard lifestyle there, boat jobs available. what areas to live in. any useful information on hawaii would help. especially job related i have many years diving exsperience and lifeguarding and snorkling are beggining options. boat repair and remodling are options. we both would love to join a crew for racing. we will not have a boat out there and we are looking to buy a small sloop in the 25 foot area for island hoping and overnighting. so information on slips moorings anchorages. and if your in hawaii too and want to sail!!!
hope to hear from ya.
sean and ashley
Old 27-08-2008, 16:37   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Sean,

Come on over. The water is warm.

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 17:02   #3

Boat: Allied Luders 33
Besides the excellent climate and not so bad economy oahu sucks... Its an overpopulated subtropical paridise of mall traffic and reef trampling tourism.
Luders33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 17:45   #4

I thought it would be neat to cruise around the Pacific. Then I spent two months in Hawaii.
Old 27-08-2008, 19:09   #5

Aloha Luders,
That's why I live on the Big Island. I visited and lived on Oahu off and on since '63 to '92 compliments of the Navy. So I know what you are talking about.
Regards,
JohnL
P. S. I like your boat.
Old 27-08-2008, 21:46   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancrowne View Post
well you guys have heard it all from me. dream boats destinations buisness diet and work. me and the misses both have left our jobs in the city and we are heading to hawaii, aloha island life.
I lived in Hawaii (Oahu) for 2 years. It was fantastic. However, it was expensive. After you are there a while and you are struggling to pay bills you will still be happy. Our motto was, "The view and the ocean are free. Everything else you pay for."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 17:15   #7

Boat: homebuilt, 17ft, fathersdream
Send a message via AIM to seancrowne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
"The view and the ocean are free. Everything else you pay for."
better than our new york city motto. "move it or lose it!"
i'm really excited to come over.

how is moving between the islands? i heard it was dificult.
Old 29-08-2008, 03:13   #8

Moving to maui has never been easier... You can load your vehicle full and drive on and off the super ferry.

I didn't mean to sound so negative about Hawaii... I have never regreted moving hear (almost 9 years ago, man time flies). I just feel disappointed that It is too much like living anywhere else on the mainland.

SkiprJohn, Manukea is hull #18, 1966. I have only seen one other Luders 33 in person and that was Dove, whose interior was quite a bit nicer than mine. This is my first boat, and the first boat I ever sailed. Dec. will be two years and I haven't regretted it once.
Old 29-08-2008, 11:48   #9

Aloha Luders,
Your boat sounds great. I used to keep first a Catalina 22 at Keehi and a Mariner 35 in Pearl Harbor many years ago. Where do you keep Manukea?
Back in my early sailing days I sailed aboard a Luders 44 yawl that was donated by Annapolis to the Navy sailing club in Coronado. Beautiful design.
Kind regards,
JohnL
Old 29-08-2008, 13:02   #10

How is living aboard in hawaii?
Conrad30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 20:06   #11

Aloha Conrad,
It used to be ok in the 80s on Oahu but I don't currently know anyone living aboard here in Hawaii at the moment. It isn't allowed on the windward side of the Big Island.
JohnL
Old 30-08-2008, 00:55   #12

Never mind living aboard... just getting a slip can be difficult. There are four state harbors on oahu; Ala Wai (the biggest and best of the state harbors), keihi Lagoon (has bad reputation for crime and delapidated boats), Waianae (haven't heard anything bad but it is in Waianae) and Haleiwa (Nice, small, maybe difficult to get a perminent slip) I can think of 6 other private or fedral marinas. Ko Olina is where I am. It is very nice and relatively new but probably the most expensive. when my transient was running out at the Ala Wai I felt very relieved to get a slip at Ko Olina which is probably about 99 % full 99% of the time... but maybe no wating list, i don't know now.
From what I know the state harbors have a seperate waiting list for live aboard.. first you wait 5 years to get the slip then maybe another 5 for live aboard. I hope it is not that bad. Ala Wai and keihi are in reconstruction phase so maybe things will speed up when they fix more docks. You can get on the waiting list without owning a boat or living in state (costs more for out of state I think it is $100 a year to be kept on the waiting list at Ala wai)
SkiprJohn, i think my neighbor has a mariner 35, i think he's owned it for at least the last ten years... he said he rebuilt the deck... looks nice now. I just checked out the Luders 44 yawl... they look a lot like mine. I wonder who the hull design works in a 33 foot length versus the 44. I haven't sailed my boat more than five times but it seemed good into the wind. Wind and waves from the stearn took more attention because it wanted to head to weather (guess that could be the sails). Hobby horsed out of the harbor with oncoming swell. I think it will do for me... just won't be that fast.
Old 20-10-2008, 20:38   #13

I have lived in Hawaii (mostly Oahu) off and on for over 17 years. I'm in Honolulu now, working and expecting to leave here in a year or so. I have taught sailing here and have skippered a couple of inter-island charters and deliveries. I can tell you that the channel between Oahu and Molokai, and the channel between Maui and Hawaii are "rigorous" (to say the least) most of the time, but there are very few rocks/reefs to worry about if you pay attention to your charts & position. It is fairly easy & safe to anchor at most destinations on the leeward sides of the islands, but not recommended for the windward (usually the Eastern) or Northern sides.
Getting a slip over here is almost impossible, there are only a couple of private marinas, the rest are owned/run (down) by the State and they are in poor condition, and some of them are in potentially dangerous/high-crime locations. Hawaii has the highest cost of living, in general, of any place in the US, and the COL on the other islands is about 20% higher than Oahu's. If you want peace and quiet do not spend any time on Oahu: if it's not jet-noise, it's boom-boxes and garbage-trucks! If you want night life and a variety of things to do then you must stay near Honolulu. Traffic is bad on Oahu. The locals will probably be nice to you if you look and act like a money-spending tourist, otherwise you may find many of them prejudiced against you, (this has a direct relationship with the state of the economy...and that is getting worse by the minute, with the present debacle in the world financial markets).
There are many things to see and do over here, especially if you're a water-person, and when you get here ask the folks what you can do to fit in, meet the locals, and get the "aloha" spirit going. Good luck! Mike G.
PS you can get good live Irish music at Kelly O'Neil's Pub in Waikiki on Sunday afternoons 4-7 pm. Slainte!
dcapn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 19:55   #14

Problem "Locals" in Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcapn88 View Post
I have lived in Hawaii (mostly Oahu) off and on for over 17 years. I'm in Honolulu now, working....

The locals will probably be nice to you if you look and act like a money-spending tourist, otherwise you may find many of them prejudiced against you, (this has a direct relationship with the state of the economy...and that is getting worse by the minute, with the present debacle in the world financial markets).
. Slainte!
Interesting that you said that. My wife & I vacationed on Oahu about three years back. First, we had to forfeit a private residence that we rented on the coast road because of traffic noise around the clock. I finally surrendered about 3:30 am and headed for a hotel. (Lost about $500).

THEN, we were eating at a restaurant in downtown and noticed the waitress was a bit snarky. It was an obvious attitude bias against (whites?) or at least tourists. She asked us if we worked locally and when we said we were vacationing, she totally changed & became friendly.
BigDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 18:10   #15

Boat: Lavranos, Sloop, 15 meters Quest
We are from Alaska, but currently our 50' Quest is in Trinidad. Next year we hope to transit the Panama and then ride the currents and trade winds to the Galapagos and then on to the Marquesas and finally Hawaii before coming home to Juneau. We may decide to leave Quest in the Pacific and "snow bird" it back to Juneau for some time. Does anyone have any suggestions for safe, reasonably-priced storage on the hard anywhere in that area? If we can find something affordable and decent, we may decide to leave Quest there for a while. Thanks for your help!
Louise & Chris