Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2011, 19:24   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 186
Hawaii to LA in November ?

Anyone done this trip leaving in the beginning of November? Recommended time is Sept-Oct, so I'm guessing one is likely to run into some weather in November. Ultimate destination is Baja for Xmas. Any advice/info/ would be most welcome!
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 20:04   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,016
Images: 4
Re: Hawaii to LA in November?

Risky due to increased chance of winter gales, or worse, starting to come S out of the far N Pacific ... which is the only practical way from Hawaii to N America.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 20:28   #3
Senior Cruiser
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,127
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Hawaii to LA in November?

I know of of one fellow who did the trip in January. He said he had a pleasant sail with only a couple of days of winds in the 30s from Hilo to San Diego. Since he was on a reach, it just got him to San Diego faster. Other than that you are taking a big risk. The lows march across the north Pacific at 4-8 day intervals so your chances of getting hit by serious bad weather at least 3 times on the passage are quite good. One good thing is the high tends to move south in the winter so you don't have to go to as high a latitude to get around it. It's still probably going to mean going above 40N, unfortunately. The high also breaks down and weakens and/or disappears entirely during the winter. You could get really wierd wind condtions like southerlies for most of the trip.

Since you want to go to Mexico, you might be able to duck under the high. Would be a lot of windward work but at least it would be moderately warm for the whole trip.

If it was me, I'd wait for late spring but if you gotta go, you gotta go. Suggest paying for a professional weather router to tell you when the conditions will be optimal. The fellow I mentioned did just that. Waited for nearly a month in Hilo for the go sign from his weather guy. The call finally came telling him to leave right now and he had as good a sail as is possible.
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Van Share Back to UK from La Rochelle - November 2011 Mippy Europe & Mediterranean 4 17-02-2012 08:37
Info on Sailing from LA to Hawaii Mike S Pacific & South China Sea 3 21-09-2011 11:19
Crew Available: Looking to Sail from Hawaii to Australia treefoot Crew Archives 7 09-09-2011 01:12
Crew Wanted: Les Sables d'Olons to La Rochelle End September 2011 Mippy Crew Archives 9 08-09-2011 20:20
Crew Available: Anyone Sailing to Hawaii this Fall ? MichaelRF Crew Archives 0 26-07-2011 12:23

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:47.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.