Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2007, 18:28   #16

Nice, thanks for the heads up.. Tons of stuff adding up on my to do/see list when sailing!! Cheers!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 16:25   #17

Boat: Ranger 33
The Plan

thanks Kanani you are a wealth of information.

Now ....if I find a boat early I'll have to have her in a berth or put her up in dry storage. While that's happening she'll get fitted out for ocean passage.

So..... I was wondering what the average rate was for berthing or getting a hardstand in Hawaii.

cheers
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 16:27   #18

Boat: Ranger 33
Ummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Here’s a Vancover 25's (“Cool Change”), 73 sea-day Hawaii to Brisbane voyage:
Sailing Around The World* in a 25 Foot Boat
Thanks for the link.....but they were making an average of a little over three knots....mmmmm....maybe a little slow for me
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 16:56   #19

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
thanks Kanani you are a wealth of information.

Now ....if I find a boat early I'll have to have her in a berth or put her up in dry storage. While that's happening she'll get fitted out for ocean passage.

So..... I was wondering what the average rate was for berthing or getting a hardstand in Hawaii.

cheers
Getting a slip or mooring in Hawaii is next to impossible. They have all kinds of empty slips and moorings but politics dictates that they have these long waiting lists....it makes no sense but that's just the way it is and it has been that way for 20 years.

It used to be (pre-1990) that you could go into Keehi Lagoon and anchor anywhere (I lived there at the time). In 1990 they put in moorings where the yachts were anchored and forced everyone to get an inspection and move onto a mooring. Since then, a great deal of the moorings have been empty for years but they tell you that they are full and you must get on a waiting list.

To get a hardstand, contact:
(Keehi Marine Center - Honolulu, HI) Boatyard

However, it's not like most places where you can store your boat on the hard for cheap. In Hawaii, it's more $ to keep it on the hard than in a slip or mooring (if you can get one).

The fact is...Hawaii politics is VERY unfriendly to boaters.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 17:03   #20

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
Thanks for the link.....but they were making an average of a little over three knots....mmmmm....maybe a little slow for me
Well, look at the track that he took. He went East, all the way to Tahiti. That's fine if your cruising and don't mind working to get all of that Easting. That trip was at least 3,000nm farther than what you are talking about with a straight shot.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 17:19   #21

I'm amazed to hear that Hawaii is boater unfriendly. Heck! Isn't the state surrounded by water?
Minitee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisbane