Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 16:12   #1

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Hawaii (The Big Island) - Around South Point - Two Good Anchorage Recommendations

Just got back from crewing for Faiaohe's skipper Captain Scott. I have a couple of out of the way anchorage recommendations for those that have not found them. July 7 - 9, 2010

We headed east from Hilo with light winds so did a lot of motoring until after Cape Kumukahi when the wind started filling in and gradually strengthened. Our departure time was about 0630 because we wanted to pass South Point in the wee hours of the next morning. We put reefs in as the wind began to build and had a double reefed main and the yankee rolled in a lot when off shore about Pahala and Punalu'u. Our speed was 5 to 7. The lights of Naalehu looked like a large fish with its mouth open toward the summit of Mauna Loa. The red blinking lights of the South Point windmill farm were visible for miles so we knew that the weak South Point light would be seaward of them. A GPS is handy to tell how far you are off the coast whilst jibing toward and away from the island. A heading straight for South Point was directly downwind and there was always the chance of accidental jibes (which occured anyway) so we did some jibing and stayed between one and five miles from South Point to clear the shallow areas that kick up waves. Winds built to 15-20 this night. Our approach and rounding of South Point was about one and a half hours before sunrise before the real big wind and waves started to build.

Once round the Southernmost Point of the U. S. the water became flat but the winds continued so it is recommended to keep the reefs tucked in for a bit past the Point as you move north and west up the coast for a way. The not typical winds lightened and moved to dead ahead enough to have to motor again after several hours and then we hit a contrary current of about 3 to 3.5 knots at Kauna Pt. Since the winds were light and on our nose we had a devil of a time punching through this area to keep the engine from overheating. Once round we started making a bit of progress but not enough to put us at our destination of Hookena before nightfall.

The northwest winds move around enough to let us sail up the coast although at a low speed as we checked the cruising guide to look for a place to put in for the evening. We found a likely spot called Honomalino Bay just south of Miloli'i. It turned out to be a jewel of a little sheltered bay with good holding ground and we jumped in the water to cool down and clean up a bit and the water was clear and visible to well over the depth of 25-30 feet. It was a great little bay with no other boats and two black sand beaches with no one on the beaches. Incredible but possible on a Thursday. Friday we weighed anchor and headed for Hookena and Kauhako Bay by motorsailing and were anchored by 0830. More clear water, good snorkeling and swimming and black sand beaches. However, this beach has easy access by car so there were many swimmers and snorkelers. Just one boat, ours.

I recommend both Honomalino Bay and Kauhako Bay to those who would be sailing the west coast of Hawaii (Big Island).
Old 10-07-2010, 16:40   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Sounds great Skipper, and I will keep all of this in mind. I am awful late for many reasons, but I am still on my way.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 20:01   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I2F,
Glad to hear you're on your way.
regards,

Tags
anchor