Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2018, 12:31   #1

Hawaii Forum & Buddy Boat From Mexico

I'm looking to locate a buddy boat to travel to Hawaii from Mexico. Is there a good forum to post to for this purpose?
gregvail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 14:20   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Hawaii Forum & Buddy Boat From Mexico

If you mean for the sail to Hawaii, it won't be easy to stay close to another boat for the passage. Extremely doubtful that the boats will have equal performance which means one will be a drag on the other. We motored out of Ahe bound for Hawaii with another boat. We were going to the same place so sailed an identical course through that first afternoon. As the sun went down, they were within a mile of us. When the sun came up they'd disappeared not to be seen again till they pullled into Hilo's Radio Bay 2 days after our arrival. A bit easier with GPS and Radar to stay in contact these days but you'd have to be really really good buds to hang together for the 2-3 week passage to Hawaii. If you don't feel confidant in making the passage on your own, wonder if you are ready to make the trip.

For most cruisers, a buddy boat means a boat you meet up with at the destination and hang together while exploring that island chain or location and then sail on separately to meet up at your next destination.

What are your cruising plans?? If you plan on eventually going south to Polynesia would reccomend going there from Mexico. It's a way easier sail and you can hit Hawaii on the way back. If your eventually going back to the West Coast then Hawaii is a nice way to avoid the slog up the coast of N. America.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 20:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If you mean for the sail to Hawaii, it won't be easy to stay close to another boat for the passage. Extremely doubtful that the boats will have equal performance which means one will be a drag on the other. We motored out of Ahe bound for Hawaii with another boat. We were going to the same place so sailed an identical course through that first afternoon. As the sun went down, they were within a mile of us. When the sun came up they'd disappeared not to be seen again till they pullled into Hilo's Radio Bay 2 days after our arrival. A bit easier with GPS and Radar to stay in contact these days but you'd have to be really really good buds to hang together for the 2-3 week passage to Hawaii. If you don't feel confidant in making the passage on your own, wonder if you are ready to make the trip.

For most cruisers, a buddy boat means a boat you meet up with at the destination and hang together while exploring that island chain or location and then sail on separately to meet up at your next destination.

What are your cruising plans?? If you plan on eventually going south to Polynesia would reccomend going there from Mexico. It's a way easier sail and you can hit Hawaii on the way back. If your eventually going back to the West Coast then Hawaii is a nice way to avoid the slog up the coast of N. America.
Thanks for the reply I guess, but you're comments are useless and didn't answer my question at all. We're going to Hawaii as a destination for my wife's job. I understand boats won't have matching speeds. That's not the point. It's simply about maintaining contact in case of needing assistance or relaying information. A friend of mine ended up towing a boat he heard about 800 miles prior on his way to the Marquesas. It's just prudent to assess the situation and minimize any risk so looking for a buddy boat doesn't mean I need someone to hold my hand. An insulting insinuation on your part after you made an assumption. Never had a buddy boat before, but that doesn't mean it's not smart to have one. My definition of buddy boat does not match yours. Having someone to drink with at anchorage is never a problem.

Question remains, where can I post to find sailors headed to Hawaii from Central America. There's Panama Cruisers forums and the like on Facebook. I'm looking for something similar.
Old 10-05-2018, 21:48   #4

It's amazing how rude people can be to someone offering fairly kind advice.

It is not insulting to have someone question your skill. It can save your life.

If you are this insecure about the trip and in general...well...
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:10   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I'd say you've posted in the right Forum, Greg.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
It's amazing how rude people can be to someone offering fairly kind advice.

It is not insulting to have someone question your skill. It can save your life.

If you are this insecure about the trip and in general...well...
What's amazing is that 90% of people who reply in forums actually have no actual good information. They post for the simple glorification of their own ego. I was actually being polite in response to a rude comment.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:32   #7

> What's amazing is that 90% of people who reply in forums actually have no actual good information. They post for the simple glorification of their own ego. I was actually being polite in response to a rude comment.

It's a forum, get over it?

If you want completely on-topic, perfect advice... pay for it.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
> What's amazing is that 90% of people who reply in forums actually have no actual good information. They post for the simple glorification of their own ego. I was actually being polite in response to a rude comment.

It's a forum, get over it?

If you want completely on-topic, perfect advice... pay for it.
Exactly why people hate forums. Nonsense like this. I asked a simple one sentence now there's 100 lines in response that don't answer the question.

Since you took it upon yourself to be the politeness police, here's simple forum etiquette. If you don't know the answer to the question DON'T POST. But people like you ruin forums which is why people like me almost never use them. I'm DONE. Goodbye.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:52   #9

Greg, not trying to be a huge ******* here but honestly. You posted a public question and people responded. What did you expect would happen?

I feel the original response is perfectly respectable + probably good advice in general.

Forums are for conversation, not a collection of answers to questions. For things like that there are other resources online. Or you can do your own research.

There are boards on this very forum to ask for crew and so on, so that's part of your answer, no?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:07   #10

I thought Peter's response was appropriate. Asking your original question implies a certain uncertainty, which leads to questioning your overall sailing experience. Your followup replies are abusive. I sure wouldn't want to come to your aid as a "buddy boat".
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:14   #11

Gee, did everything go south for Gregvail.
donahue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:17   #12

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I would buddy boat if we were meeting for lunch at some close spot. But I will never buddy boat to a far off destination again. My boat and my emergency skills and my problem solving have been far superior to those of the the folks I have done it with before. I would respond to calls for assistance anyone, but to set yourself up for it in advance is not in the cards for me again.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:53   #13

Boat: Endeavour 32

Your lucky you didn't say you would make the passage in a Hunter.

There are not a lot of Marinas to keep your vessel if you are going to be there a while.
A friend of ours took his Cat Double Trouble to the big island a couple years ago where he bought some land. Had it moored out for a while now its on the hard.
Very long wait list for the few marinas.
Compactorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:02   #14

Boat: Tartan 33

You don't need a buddy boat. Get a SSB and use the Pacific Seafarer's Net. They have a daily roll call. That net saved my ass once on a crossing. Don't have a SSB? Get one and learn to use it. Also, get a sat phone.

Remember, as you're slipping beneath the waves, taking your last breath on Earth, you ought to be able to tell yourself that you spared no expense and did everything you could to save your own skin. The middle of the Pacific Ocean is no place to economize on safety, reliability, or communications.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:49   #15

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Much harder to navigate the dangers of the forum than the waters of the ocean! haha..

I don't have but a long shot for the buddy boat.. I know RAN sailing is planning a passage very soon from Costa Rica to Hawaii (may have left already?). They have used buddy boats before and may divert a little north if you go a little south?? check their youtube channel and send them a comment/question.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, hawaii, Mexico, rum