Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2013, 08:40   #1

Boat: Islander 34
haulout and storage in El Salvador?

Hey all,

We're currently sitting at anchor in Punta de Mita, Mexico. In the next month we have to head 650nm north (against the prevalent winds) to Guaymas to haul out and store our boat for a couple of years... back to the states to refill the cruising kitty. Sad, but necessary.

Alternately, we could head the 1200nm south to El Salvador. It's a downwind sail, and it's more where we'd like to be when we come back to the boat... but we're not easily finding any info on secure haulouts and long-term storage in El Salvador!

We have a ten-year import permit for Mexico, and we're on year two. what is the import permit situation in El Salvador?

We're a 23' wide trimaran, so haulouts must be either using a 100-ton travelift or a railway or a trailer or a crane, we don't fit in the 30-ton travelifts.

Anyone have any recommendations or previous experiences?
Old 26-04-2013, 10:24   #2

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: haulout and storage in El Salvador?

El Salvador is an improvised country without the means to function for cruisers repair needs.
When I was there in 2002, there was a marina associated with a hotel, which someone must lead you through the surf and down the coast a panga would meet you off shore and lead you through the surf and up a river to a private boat club with moorings (I stayed here a month)j, neither place had any boatyard or repair facilities. Their is a place father up the river that maintains fishing vassals.

I found that, except for San Jose, Costa Rico, once you left Mexico there was an absence of places to repair your boat until you got to Panama
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 07:27   #3

Boat: Lock Crowther 150

Hi John,
As of last year, there were no longterm land storage facilities in El Salvador. The two places that are popular to leave a boat in the country are Bahia Del Sol or Las Barillas. Bahia has docks and mooring balls; there used to be a travel lift in the area, but is no longer in operation. Las Barillas, has rail haul out facilites that cater to large shrimp boats. I believe they will haul sailboats for repair, but I don't think long term storage is an option.
In reality, you are best leaving the boat in Mexico, as there aren't any good/cheap land storage options in the neighboring countries to the S. (unless you want to go through the Canal). I would look into Chiapas Marina in S. Mexico....they should have their travel lift by now. Good Luck
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 08:06   #4

There is a well developed marina/boatyard with a 150 ton travel lift on the Pacific side of Panama. The name is Flamingo Marina.

Pacific Side Of The Panama Canal - Cruising Guide by CaptainWiki

It's at the end and on the south side of the long causeway used as a breakwater as you approach Balboa, Panama.

As a side note I stayed at the Pedro Migual Boat Club for 4 months but I believe it is now closed.
Old 17-05-2013, 08:42   #5

"There is a well developed marina/boatyard with a 150 ton travel lift on the Pacific side of Panama. The name is Flamingo Marina."
You would need to check rates, but I'm pretty sure its not affordable. I have run into more than one boat that has specifically paid to transit the canal to get to land storage at Shelter Bay (Caribbean Panama- which isn't exactly cheap either!)
Old 17-05-2013, 09:27   #6

Without checking rates you say its not affordable? By whose standards? What the heck is the fuzzy logic behind that?
Have you firsthand knowledge, or do you make this judgments from your desk in Philadelphia?
Of course one should investigate options.
The OP's question was about haulouts on the Pacific side of Central America.

Please excuse the observations from someone who has been there.
Old 17-05-2013, 10:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Without checking rates you say its not affordable? By whose standards? What the heck is the fuzzy logic behind that?
Have you firsthand knowledge, or do you make this judgments from your desk in Philadelphia?
Of course one should investigate options.
The OP's question was about haulouts on the Pacific side of Central America.

Please excuse the observations from someone who has been there.
Well John, as it turns out, you are not the only person to have cruised in El Salvador. I transited the Panama Canal last May (Caribbean to Pacific) and like the OP, I was looking for a place the haul and store my boat on the Pacific side of Central America. As I spent 4 months cruising up Central America looking into possible places to leave my boat, I felt I had something to offer the OP, but next time I’ll seek your permission before posting. Here is what I found while cruising form Panama-El Salvador:
• Panama: some haul out facilities around Panama City. Limited storage space. Very expensive. Shelter Bay (Caribbean side across from Colon) was a better option for longterm land storage.
Costa Rica: Very expensive. Need to import boat over 3mo stay.
Nicaragua: No haul and storage facilities. San Juan Del Sur’s ancient crane broke, with not plans to fix it. Renting a crane from Managua only option. $$$$
• El Salvador: Barillas can haul, I never got a solid answer, but don’t think they’ll do long term storage. I left my boat in Bahia Del Sol on a mooring ball for 3+ months. (cheap)
• Mexico: I only looked into Chiapas. Which is a new marina, but didn’t yet have their travel lift as of last fall.
FYI John- I’m anchored on a beautiful river on the Pacific side of Panama, readying my boat for a Pacific crossing. However I hope you are enjoying your day “from your desk” wherever that may be……
Old 17-05-2013, 11:36   #8

Yes mrybas, actually I'm at home. After living aboard for 23 years including taking a year to sail solo from SF Bay to Panama (with a 2 month stop at Barillas and a four month stop in Panama and 8 years in the Caribbean, I left my boat in Florida. I moved to the PNW where, at the age of 73, I'll stay.

fair winds John

Tags
storage