Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 09:22   #1

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS
Haul-out yards in PV, La Paz, Mazatlan Mexico

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread...

We need to haul our boat for a bottom job and are wondering if other cruisers have been happier doing it in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan or La Paz... any info would be appreciated.

We aren't going up into the Sea, so San Carlos/Guaymas is out...
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:36   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Haul-out yards in PV, La Paz, Mazatlan Mexico

banderas bay has THE highest pricing evaahhhh...dont go there unless you are made of money --my 41 formosa was estiimated at 3280 u s dollars for paint and haul--stay out of banderas bay for hauling, if you wish a good deal.....
la paz, i hear, is good.
mazatlan is good when not using fornatur marine services in the marina area. i prefer the rail roads in old harbor and the shrimper yard up the river from old harbor.
san carlos/guaymas has a decently priced yard ...is up in gulf of mexico--on mainland side.keep an eye on your cfrew.

does chiapas have plans for a travel lift in the near future??? rumor has it.....but we have yet to hear..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:59   #3

Boat: O'Day 25

Contact the marina at Puerto Escondido. Great diy yard a couple of years ago. Prices did go up but don't know what they are now. I brought all my materials with me knowing I would be doing a bottom job in Mexico. Comex does make a good bottom paint similar to Trindad if you need to buy in MX.. If you want to pay for the work, go to Berkovich in La Paz. Good reputation for bottom jobs.
Dos Gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

find a crew to do work and make sure the crew is smart enough to know what they are doing--they will keep costs down. is how it is done in most of mexico--pay for haul and launch, hire crew to do the painting and work, get out in a timely manner. must have at least one mexican in the crew, for legality.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 20:54   #5

Boat: Piver tri Serena

Marina Chiapas finally did get their 65 ton Travelift, so their repair and storage yard is going strong.
Nagivator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 22:26   #6

Boat: Custom 55

Hi, no comment on other places, but we have hauled out at both yards in the Vallarta area and have had fine experiences in both places.

Opequimar is cheaper, and a bit rougher, but they can haul your boat just fine. David Barba is an honest guy, I had him Imron my topsides for under 5K, and the job was very good considering the environment. Obviously, we didn't get the same finish as we would in a climate-controlled shed in the USA, but we were happy.

Both places will let you do your own work, and if that's your plan you will have no issues with cost. I think that the lift at La Cruz might be about half again more than Opequimar.

Peter Vargas is running the show at La Cruz, and he has always been very good to deal with. La Cruz used to throw out some pretty spectacular numbers for basic work, but that is no longer happening to my knowledge. We've been out of there for about a year and a half, but spent the better part of ten years in that area, so we know the cast of characters pretty well.

Anyway, good luck.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 22:29   #7

Boat: Custom 55

OOPS. I just saw the date on the OP. Hi Mark and Emily! I know that you're not needing haulout info anymore! Enjoy the RV this summer.
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico