Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2012, 07:46   #91

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Gunkholing the Pacific Coast of Mexico

Sounds to me that the 21st century is intruding on the cruising lifestyle.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 10:21   #92

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Thank God I was down there when it was still wild & untamed. First time down was in the 60's when I circumnavigated the Sea of Cortez in my Folkboat at the age of 16. It was wonderful!
In 1968 my dad bought a place on the beach in Puertocitos. We sold it about 10 years ago as the rent kept going up with no cap in sight - it got too $$$ for me!
I was in San Carlos in '81 and moved a Freeport 41 to LA. We sailed from San Carlos to Loreto, Mulege, La Paz, Cabo and up the coast stopping in Mag Bay, Turtle Bay then on to San Diego. Lived in the free anchorage for awhile in SD then on to King Harbor. Things were fun back then. I was in Cabo in '99 for my brothers 70th birthday and I couldnt believe what they did to that town - The whole place is ruined as far as I'm concerned. I'll probably winter in Gonzaga or Mulege next year - I hope they havent screwed it up there too!
I cant believe they're charging a fee for dropping the hook! IM MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!LOL
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 11:06   #93

Daddle is wrong.They havent got you when you step off the beach.Within 20 meters of high tide is public access.Therefore the malecon and breakwaters are public access in La Cruz.I continue to see the locals using the beach we were kicked off.In fact tipping their boats up and working on the bottom.Seems like there are no laws against discrimination in Mexico.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 11:11   #94

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

There is no money in locals....just in the multi millionaire gringos that invade in their multi million dollar 30ft 30 year old yachts. Mexican logic at work.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 11:27   #95

Thats the first time I have heard of an anchoring fee in Mag Bay.Maybe its just if you go up the channel to San Carlos?
They charge $10 to anchor at Cabo.If you dont need anything in the town,try anchoring at the opposite end of the beach near the rocks.Its a 4 mile round trip for them to try and collect their fee so maybe they wont bother.It worked for me.Costco is within walking distance ,if you are a member,and also a couple of small grocery stores.
If you dont need anything at Turtle Bay,try the bay 5 miles north of there.You have to enter it from the south as there is a lot of kelp across the north entrance.I had a good time there hiking through the arroyos to the coast and found landing on the beach to be easy.Also there is a small natural rocky harbor which could be used if the swell is up.There shacks there but the fishermen were not poor and had vehicles,solar panels,satelite tv etc.
Old 17-03-2012, 11:52   #96

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Why would anyone want to stop at Cabo San Lucas??
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 11:59   #97

In my case,I had a hard time getting to Cabo, due to lack of wind, and it looked like there was no suitable wind to continue so I wanted to anchor and relax and get a good nights sleep.
Old 17-03-2012, 22:36   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam
Daddle is wrong.They havent got you when you step off the beach.Within 20 meters of high tide is public access.Therefore the malecon and breakwaters are public access in La Cruz.I continue to see the locals using the beach we were kicked off.In fact tipping their boats up and working on the bottom.Seems like there are no laws against discrimination in Mexico.
I doubt the rule you are referring to applies in harbors. If it did you could tie up your yacht in the Travelift slipway and picnic in the boatyard. But I'm no sea lawyer ... I just use the free, open, safe public beach a few yards east of the marina. Or pay the small marina fee. The marina is a nice addition to the area. There are still plenty Mexican cruising areas that are wild and free. "Vote with your feet"
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 11:19   #99

My opinion is that the marina is not a nice addition and it ruins the anchorage and blocks access to La Cruz.
Old 19-03-2012, 13:18   #100
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam View Post
My opinion is that the marina is not a nice addition and it ruins the anchorage and blocks access to La Cruz.

at first the marina was a help to the community, but has gotten to be a lil restrictive just during the past coupla years...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico