Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 10:24   #76
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Gunkholing the Pacific Coast of Mexico

but those arent on my way to puerto rico and caribean and gulf of mexico....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:36   #77

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
but those arent on my way to puerto rico and caribean and gulf of mexico....
Sorry, didn't know you were on a schedule.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:38   #78

not on schedule just going-- la cruz isnt cruiser friendly....
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51   #79

Before I head out again I'm going to start a thread for the best cruiser spots that haven't been spoiled by the high dollar cruisers. I'm sure there are plenty. Places where most vessels are locally owned and plying a trade. I have always enjoyed the ease of the floating supermarket coming to you to sell their wares, produce, and meats & fish.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:55   #80

deck officer--is an excellent idea....i will help contribute with both sides as i go along....if ye wishes... wanna meet ye out here...
Old 09-03-2012, 12:13   #81
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer

Anchorage south of Mulege, known as Santispac, my all time favorite.
My favorite place in the whole world. Have ye been to the singing stones and prehistoric cave paint gs across the road fromthe old ecomundo.

Such paradise...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:26   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
deck officer--is an excellent idea....i will help contribute with both sides as i go along....if ye wishes... wanna meet ye out here...
As I you. I think any recommendation from you I could take to the bank. I might have enjoyed a swankier lifestyle due to my merchant marine earnings, but my heart is into the simple pleasures that foolishsailor commented on. I missed the singing stones but have enjoyed the view of the river from the small mountain top that overlooks the soccer field.
Old 09-03-2012, 13:49   #83

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I have sailed down the west coast of Baja eight times and bashed back north three. I have stayed in most of the tenable anchorages - I even stayed at Isla Todos Santos before it became an aqua-culture station (it is no longer possible to anchor there). I have not stayed at Punta Santo Tomas but we did have a pleasant night at Punta Colnett once. San Quintin was good for a three-day visit and we were able to take a break from a nasty bash at Bahia San Carlos.

For those who leave Isla Cedros to the east, the Islas San Benitos can offer very good holding and protection from the swell but it can be very windy. There's only a fish camp there so no services or provisions are available. I have not stay in the village harbor on Isla Cedros but have anchored at both the north end and in Bahia Sur.

The last time we were in Turtle Bay, we had 35 knots of wind from the south and the anchorage by the village was very uncomfortable. We motored south to about 3 fathoms of water, dropped the hook and found it to be very flat. Eventually, the dozen or so boats that had been anchored on the north side of the bay came and joined us.

There are far too many anchorages in the Sea of Cortez to spend anytime going over them here, besides, there's very good guide books that can do much better justice to their description than I can. Suffice to say, even though I have seen some fantastic places in the South Pacific, I'm still looking forward to cruising again in the Sea of Cortez.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:32   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam
I met up with Zeehag at La Cruz.When the marina started charging 20 pesos for the dingy dock we started using the beach in front of Eva's Brickhouse resturant which is just inside the breakwater.Unfortunately the gringo resturant owner did not want us there and complained and the marina sent a goon to kick both of us out.Its easy to land on the beach outside but a little more risk of having the oars stolen.
I was at the meeting with the Marina owner/manager and he said. The beach is public in Mexico and that you can land on that beach inside the marina. If you want to I would keep landing there.

I don't think the 20 pesos is outrageous, but the Marina did handle the whole thing poorly in the beginning. In the end all seems well.

-p
Old 16-03-2012, 12:04   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_DeepPlaya View Post
I was at the meeting with the Marina owner/manager and he said. The beach is public in Mexico and that you can land on that beach inside the marina. If you want to I would keep landing there.

I don't think the 20 pesos is outrageous, but the Marina did handle the whole thing poorly in the beginning. In the end all seems well.

-p
i have found personally that all the beautiful words s[p[oken in the meeting were merely lies.. the capitania de puerto says the beach in front of eva's is truly federal, BUT that the marina is able to make a rule to disallow folks from landing on it. ok.
i then found , today, that being a visitor to another boat and tying the dink to that boat is also disallowed..... ok.... i have a good place in the area outside the breakwall for my rowing boat.......i also found by way of a loong term anchor out a decent diver for underwater work...and i need to yet find a place to hide from named storms--whether south of formation zone or where, i dont care, at this point-- i just dont like the idea of losing the ground i had to fight to gain....southward......
Old 16-03-2012, 12:48   #86

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
This is a test!

No matter where you go, there you are.

It seems when one travels from one country to another, all one is doing is exchanging one problem for another.
Old 16-03-2012, 13:21   #87

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Zee, What the Port Captain said is absolute BS under the law. It is all a matter of the restaurant and marina people paying the PC to say what they want him to say. In Mexico it is all about money. The hogwash about everything being transparent is fine it can be, that doesn't mean they also have to be honest.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 20:53   #88

They charged us in Mag Bay (San Carlos) for fueling up at the wharf (in addition to the fuel charge) and for anchoring-despite the fact we weren't staying the night (anchored only long enough for me to get to the Internet cafe & back).

It's unfair- but I won't argue in a foreign country-especially when I was the one alone in the port captain's office. It wasn't a planned stop and the next time we made sure we wouldn't stop again! They could have made it so pleasant I would have came back & told all my friends to go but instead I am now telling all of CF to avoid it! .
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 21:14   #89

Sounds to me that some whining cruisers have ruined La Cruz. If 20 pesos is somehow too much to pay then simply land on the beach just outside the marina. That's how it was done before. I never had any security issue there. You might be legally able to land on that beach inside but they've got you if you walk ashore. It's their place...
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 03:29   #90
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Sounds to me the explosion of marinas and all they entail is ruining la. Ruz and mexico, not a cruiser that doesnt want to pay to land on a beach.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico