Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 18:30   #31

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Re: Gunkholing the Pacific Coast of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
On our LN 35, after a year of using our CQR 45 and having to set it 2 or 3 times in hard sand, we switched to a Bruce 44.
That was much more suited to the bottom everywhere we went for the next 3 years in Mexico.
I've been researching anchors. you said you used a 44 lb anchor. I've read 33 lbs can be used on boats under 35 feet. curious why you chose the heavier one? is it practice vs theory and that 44 lb works the best?

Regards, Gary

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 18:30   #32

sorry, should have said under 40 feet.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:38   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam
I read they are now charging $10 a day to anchor in Cabo San Lucas bay.
I wouldnt enter Ensenada if you are looking to save buck$.
The fee in Cabo is $18 a day. It is loosely enforced. Pay for 1 day if they find you aboard. If you are not aboard they let it slide. That was my experience anyway.

-p
Old 09-12-2011, 08:14   #34

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe View Post
I've been researching anchors. you said you used a 44 lb anchor. I've read 33 lbs can be used on boats under 35 feet. curious why you chose the heavier one? is it practice vs theory and that 44 lb works the best?

Regards, Gary
The general consensis among cruisiers is to increase the anchor size at least one size above the recommended size.

Remember that you spend more time at anchor than sailing.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:28   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use a 45 pound cqr and 130 ft 5/16 chain in the silty mud here in mazatlan's old harbor---- so far, so good... winds to around 30 kts so far.....no anchor fee but there is a 50 peso daily docking fee so one is able to use showers and wifi and security.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:51   #36

Zeehag is there any free place to land the dingy?
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 14:18   #37

Boat: looking

Short update from a motel room in Rosario:

We used Punta Colnett for a few hours, but wouldn't trust an overnighter. Isla de San Martin - Hassler's Cove - was excellent, but recommend move into close proximity with fishing pangas. Best available spot was just forward & inline with the old no-mast sailboat that one fellow lives on. If you're too far forward, you're in kelp bed, if too far outboard, you're subject to a bit more swell & twirl around. Discovered this on the first of 2 nights. San Quintin? Seemed like a nightmare. Followed directions from an older cruise book - big mistake - and almost rode the breakers. couldn't see a way past the breakers & there were sets from the point, inward. Tried in front of the hotel, but figured we'd wake up on the beach in the morning. called in for assistance or info., but no response. Sailed to Punta Baja - on way, aoutpilot bit it & found that I had rudder issues when I took over - & stayed in Bahia de Rosario, where there were some massive swells entering. Wind picked up - rolled to toe rails this morning - & will continue to get worse(expecting up to 28kts), no safe boat haven nearby & not making the run to Cedros in this blow with this unknown rudder issue, so boat is left to the mercy of nature, with a larger Danforth - 35lb, 35' 3/8 BBB & 135 3/4" rode added to the reg gear, in about 15' of water. We'll probably be scraping her off the rocks on Wednesday, but hoping she pulls through...
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 15:34   #38

Hang in there Bangka

Old 11-12-2011, 15:42   #39

Boat: Hylas 47
Two years ago we anchored at Bahia San Carlos, pretty close to you, the seas were around 15 feet with gusts of up to 40kts, and it was comfortable there. I did flip the dinghy attempting a beach landing, but that was due to the loose nut behind the wheel!
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 16:03   #40

Let us know when the rudder is fixed. Hope all goes well.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 00:26   #41

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
Short update from a motel room in Rosario:

We used Punta Colnett for a few hours, but wouldn't trust an overnighter. Isla de San Martin - Hassler's Cove - was excellent, but recommend move into close proximity with fishing pangas. Best available spot was just forward & inline with the old no-mast sailboat that one fellow lives on. If you're too far forward, you're in kelp bed, if too far outboard, you're subject to a bit more swell & twirl around. Discovered this on the first of 2 nights. San Quintin? Seemed like a nightmare. Followed directions from an older cruise book - big mistake - and almost rode the breakers. couldn't see a way past the breakers & there were sets from the point, inward. Tried in front of the hotel, but figured we'd wake up on the beach in the morning. called in for assistance or info., but no response. Sailed to Punta Baja - on way, aoutpilot bit it & found that I had rudder issues when I took over - & stayed in Bahia de Rosario, where there were some massive swells entering. Wind picked up - rolled to toe rails this morning - & will continue to get worse(expecting up to 28kts), no safe boat haven nearby & not making the run to Cedros in this blow with this unknown rudder issue, so boat is left to the mercy of nature, with a larger Danforth - 35lb, 35' 3/8 BBB & 135 3/4" rode added to the reg gear, in about 15' of water. We'll probably be scraping her off the rocks on Wednesday, but hoping she pulls through...
Ugh I feel your pain. Big time. Unfortunatelu that is the reality of "gunkholing" the Pacific Coast. There are no great holes in which to gunk.

I had an opposite experience in Isla San Marten. I was scared by the sketchy seal poachers (yeah you heard me right) that live in the mastless boat and on the Island. And we dragged anchor badly and almost ended up washed up on the Island.

As you can read from my previous post I had a great experience in the San Quintin estuary. I did read that listing in the cruising guide though. They tell you to anchor in front of the hotel just outside the breakers!!! Whoever wrote that is bonkers.

Listen, I wish you the best of luck getting out of your sticky situation, or maybe you already have. Baja can be an unforgiving place. It is like being offshore but with a huge hunk of land to deal with.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:13   #42

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by john540 View Post
Two years ago we anchored at Bahia San Carlos, pretty close to you, the seas were around 15 feet with gusts of up to 40kts, and it was comfortable there. I did flip the dinghy attempting a beach landing, but that was due to the loose nut behind the wheel!
Thanks for the info., this is very good to know, as there may be a short weather window on Wednesday, assuming the boat survives the next couple of days. The local fishermen have said that the worst part of the situation is that the wind direction is supposed to be from the wsw, which turns the entire bay into a lee shore. I suppose the same would apply to Bahia San Carlos, but I'll ask when I get to the bay, today.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:06   #43

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

I would be trying to get to the east side of Cedros,the next 48 hours look bad from the west/southwest.I thought Isla San Martin better than San Quintin,didn't try estuary though.All the anchorages between Ensenada and Turtle Bay are barely that.Looks like the worst may pass to the south of you.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 14:03   #44

Boat: Pearson Triton 28 (1960)

This was an incredible thread, much thanks to everyone that contributed.
SayGudday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:23   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

san quintin has had a bad reputation as being only 5-6 ft deep in certain places and requiring a guide for crossing the shoal... be safe there--hope it was dredged.
inside cedros is a bit protected from winds and seas, to a point. depends on wind direction. there is a southerly drift that is noticeable for drifting--we drifted for 36 hours there when my starter died 5 mi north of cedros island. (was replaced in cedros island village for less than 150 dollars, including mechanic for 4 days.)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico