Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 14:29   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat

Our experiences in Ensenada have all been good. I was probably a bit paranoid about theft, etc., when we arrived, as I spent time here & around Northern Baja in my early 20s & things were quite different then. On this trip, we feel that people have gone out of their way to help us & make us feel at home. Yesterday, Jeanne arrived back at our boat with an entourage that had carried the groceries for her. They wanted/would accept nothing in return. To be honest, I think we'll miss Ensenada when we leave.

Mike
We also love Ensenada & even tho we are back in the US-California (working for cruising kitty) we sail there in the summer for a month and drive for a few days for Hotel Coral's New Year's Eve party. We miss the fish market and taco stands.

If you are heading south, you have other great times ahead.

Fair winds, gentle seas & safe harbors!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 16:28   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Gunkholing the Pacific Coast of Mexico

We were wind bound in Bahia San Carlos for 5 days. It was blowing around 35 knots steady with bigger gusts. We anchored in 25' and put out about 200' of chain. Mostly because we could. Holding was great. It was a bit bumpy but not horrible.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 16:44   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Just curious? What kind of bottoms are you anchoring in MX? Sand, mud, grass or what?
Old 03-12-2011, 17:34   #19

We found almost every anchorage on the Pacific side up around into the Sea of Cortez was a nice sandy bottom with great holding. Off the NE side of Isla Cedros is a shelf that is sand and sea grass. Decent holding but you need to be sure you are set.
Old 03-12-2011, 20:02   #20

I read they are now charging $10 a day to anchor in Cabo San Lucas bay.
I wouldnt enter Ensenada if you are looking to save buck$.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 20:11   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
We found almost every anchorage on the Pacific side up around into the Sea of Cortez was a nice sandy bottom with great holding. Off the NE side of Isla Cedros is a shelf that is sand and sea grass. Decent holding but you need to be sure you are set.
The reason I ask, is it would be nice to know which anchor to take along (of ones choice of course).
Old 03-12-2011, 20:27   #22

I would tell you what anchor we used but that would start a whole new thread!

Ok.. at risk of starting a new anchor thread -we used our Delta. It was perfect for the conditions and never failed us. We also carry 2 back ups-a Fortress bow anchor and had a Bruce that was on the boat when we bought it.

Do I now sit back & wait for the anchor wars?
Old 03-12-2011, 21:55   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Do I now sit back & wait for the anchor wars?
I'll chose my own and let others figure out what they want. But I'll probably use the same as you when I get down thata way, if'n I don't cut across to HI first.

Back to the ports!!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 22:35   #24

I've been to Ensenada, and had a great time there. I went out in a boat and it was nice until we went past la isla Todos Santos. The Pacific was rough that day.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:40   #25

Boat: Sceptre 41

Del +1 for the Delta. Anchoring conditions are pretty easy in Mexico. It wasn't my first choice but at the time I was spending so much $$$ to get the boat ready that I choose it over a CQR that I couldn't get to set. 44lb Delta 23k boat. Would like something bigger.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:00   #26

Boat: Hylas 47

We anchored almost every night we were in Mexico, From Ensenada down to Cabo, up to La Paz, over to Altata and Mazatlan, then back up to San Diego. Did it with a Danforth with thirty feet of chain and the rest rope. Would have used my CQR, but the windlass broke. We spent a total of around a month anchored in La Paz, where the anchor would have to reset with every tide change, and we never dragged anchor once. Hope to fix the windlass soon.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:27   #27

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

I would drop my 50lb. Manson plow with about 100 ft. chain in Lapaz,set it and never had it drag.The boat does sheer back and forth quite wildly sometimes,especially when a norther was blowing on the outgoing tide.Sometimes your neighbors boat is far away,and other times almost too close.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:46   #28

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
The reason I ask, is it would be nice to know which anchor to take along (of ones choice of course).

On our LN 35, after a year of using our CQR 45 and having to set it 2 or 3 times in hard sand, we switched to a Bruce 44.
That was much more suited to the bottom everywhere we went for the next 3 years in Mexico.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:28   #29

Boat: too many

Being new to this site but not being new to the Sea of Cortez, this thread has had excellent information posted to it.

The locals are truly great people, with all the right priorities concerning family and their life. It has been my observation that the cruisers in the Sea of Cortez do indeed put a very good face on what folks from the United States are about. They show respect to the locals, help out in local fundraising events, and blend right into the local community. For anybody considering cruising north up through the sea of Cortez, my personal favorite spot is Mulege and Bahia de Concepcion. I certainly hope by posting this I do not alienate my other cruising friends who also love this spot and maybe want to keep it a secret, but I really don't think my little post here is going to change things. As most of you know this is a bay within a bay, and because of that waters are crystal clear. If you are a fan of desert meeting the sea and the changing blue hues of clear, clean water, this just might be your place too. The town Mulege is on the only year-round river on the whole Baja Peninsula, with many palm trees. Great protected anchorages all throughout, plus a number of Hot Springs that local cruisers using rocks had turned into truly excellent thermal baths. The hotel south of town has a dirt airstrip for folks that might have to head north to take care of some business. If anybody is interested in this area, or who has also enjoyed this area, go ahead and add comments or ask questions.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 13:55   #30

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Thanks a bunch. I like to go places and meet and be with the people, this sounds like a nice place. I'll check it out next time I'm in the gulf. right across from Guaymas. I've heard good things about places to repair boats in Guaymas.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico