Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 14:07   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Great Barrier Reef "cooked" to deadth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The heat, I expect. This year the water was noticeably warmer than last year.

I'd suggest different coral species suit different temperature ranges. So most likely we'll see a southward migration of coral species.

Temperatures and sea levels have been rising for at least 10,000 years. Much of the GBR was dry land 10,000 years ago.
Did the Chinese have coal fired power plants 10,000 years ago ?
Old 29-11-2016, 14:08   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I was out on this thing called the GBR last weekend. It looked all fine and dandy to me.

P.s another climate thread yay! They always seem to come along this time of year.
This statement is as ludicrous as me saying that there is no conflict in the Middle East, as I spent 2 hours at Dubai airport and didn't see anyone get shot.

We have recently returned from an extended cruise along the Great Barrier Reef. Not the whole length, but we covered parts over a 750 nm section from Lady Musgrave Island to reefs north of Lizard Island. I have previously dived, spearfished and fished most of the areas visited. No greeny, but professionally educated in Biological Science.

Most reefs are fine, undamaged and in similar condition to what I remember from visits over a 30 year period. We definitely DID observe catastrophic damage to extensive areas of reef north of 16.5°S. Not all corals were dead, but the majority were. There has been extensive cyclone damage in this area to make matters worse, but most damage was due to coral bleaching due to exposure to very warm water for an extended period last summer.
Given time and cooler water this coral will recover. If we regularly get more bleaching events, it probably won't.

Our experience over several years of cruising is that (a) the GBR is still magnificent, but under environmental pressure, and (b) there are many cruisers who are blinkered by their extreme right wing ideology.
Old 29-11-2016, 14:09   #48

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The heat, I expect. This year the water was noticeably warmer than last year.

I'd suggest different coral species suit different temperature ranges. So most likely we'll see a southward migration of coral species.

Temperatures and sea levels have been rising for at least 10,000 years. Much of the GBR was dry land 10,000 years ago.

From my experience the noticably warmer water this year will mean much higher numbers of cyclones this year as predicted.

Water temps are a good predicter of cyclones which means coral damage as well.

If we get activity anywhere Willis Island weather station it is likely to hit our coast.
Old 29-11-2016, 14:16   #49

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
You gotta ask yourself 2 questions.

What if global warming is myth?

What if global warming is the real deal?

If it's a myth, then what? You save a little energy and no don't use as much plastic.

If it's the real deal, then all the things we love won't be around for generations to come.
Nonsense. If it is real the only things that matters are, is it man caused, if so, to what extent, and can something be done about it that makes a meaningful difference? Another choice is to spend our money on creating a new nest elsewhere.
Old 29-11-2016, 14:40   #50

Boat: GULFSTAR 53 MOTORSAILER

Global warming is a fact.

Global warming started about one million years ago the day after, the coldest day, that marked the end of the Ice Age.

The earth will do what it wants. We have little to do with it.

The earth quake in Chile about 10 years ago, changed the earth's tilt about a degree. This caused part of the gulfstream to turn north from england into the Arctic causing greenland waters to become a few degrees warmer.

The Antarctic Ice is thicker than ever.

One forest fire sets everything we can do about CO2 levels, back 10 years.

One volcanic eruption does more damage than all of humankind ever did.

All that Gore, George Soros, and President Obama did, they did for political and monetary gain only.

By the way, scientists have said California is going to slide into the ocean if they secede.
Old 29-11-2016, 15:24   #51

Boat: Don't yet have a boat

Ok, I am not going to get into the daft conversation about whether or not global warming is occurring and whether or not it is due to or a combination of anthropogenic and natural causes. . As a marine scientist, I have seen enough evidence first hand to have my own views on this.
The real issue and something that is indesputable is that (a) the GBR is suffering from coral bleaching and that this is due amongst various factors from increased water temperatures and smothering due to sediment runoff from land based activities ( coastal development etc). The report last night on TV talked about this but what they noted is that it is the northern section of the reef which has suffered the most from bleaching. For the most part, the reef is still perfectly healthy.

(B) the second point to be noted is that the Eastern Australian currents are bringing warmer water far south ( eg. down to and off the Tasmanian coastline), than previously recorded, and this has and is having an impact on zooplankton, krill and fish stocks (density/diversity), so yes there are biological impacts occurring within the marine ecosystem.. I have seen the data on this from studies ( over many years) undertaken by the CSIRO, so it is real, not fiction.
Old 29-11-2016, 15:26   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
I think both sides of the equation for climate change have skeletons in their closet about telling the truth.
There are corporations paying good money to create exactly that impression; I'm sure they're pleased that this is a common opinion.

But the two sides are ... science, and those opposed to its findings and their implications, for commercial, political or other reasons. The casualties in all this are science, the scientific process, and its practitioners. Here's one victim. It's like poking our own eyes out because we don't like what we see.

Quote:
The good thing that has come out of this warming or non warming of our planet is that it has made people more self conscious of how they conduct their lives.

...isn't that a positive effect on human nature that has come about?
Is that what's happened? There was a "green" movement well before climate change was on the radar. Since the findings of AGW have been publicized, a strong opposition has been mounted. Many green initiatives have stalled or been blocked, big-ass trucks and muscle cars are still sought-after status-symbols/d1ck-compensators. Most people know how the US situation will be playing out over the next 4 years.
Old 29-11-2016, 15:31   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The earth tilted a degree on its axis???
WTF???

Did GPS have to be reprogrammed?
Old 29-11-2016, 15:34   #54
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1600 View Post
Ok, I am not going to get into the daft conversation about whether or not global warming is occurring

it is real, not fiction.
Thought you said you were not going to get into this daft argument
Old 29-11-2016, 15:39   #55

And no I didn't, I just stated some info that the northern end of the reef is suffering, it's believed to be due to the increased water temperatures and from sediment runoff and that the warmer eastern Aus current has moved a lot further south than recorded in the past. That the warmer temps have a biogical impact is fact.
I am not delving into the bigger and potentially more controversial issues that some seem to want to pontificate about. It might pay to read my comments a little more carefully in future before having a go at what I said ��
Old 29-11-2016, 15:45   #56
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
And no I didn't, I just stated some info that the northern end of the reef is suffering, it's believed to be due to the increased water temperatures and from sediment runoff and that the warmer eastern Aus current has moved a lot further south than recorded in the past. That the warmer temps have a biogical impact is fact.
I am not delving into the bigger and potentially more controversial issues that some seem to want to pontificate about. It might pay to read my comments a little more carefully in future before having a go at what I said ��
You are serious aren't you ? you really believe that these statements are "Not getting into this daft argument". You are more than a little pompous. Loosen your ascot man.
Old 29-11-2016, 15:48   #57
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
The earth tilted a degree on its axis???
WTF???

Did GPS have to be reprogrammed?

Not a degree.

Quote:

how much the quake shifted Earth's axis. Gross calculates the quake should have moved Earth's figure axis (the axis about which Earth's mass is balanced) by 2.7 milliarcseconds (about 8 centimeters, or 3 inches). Earth’s figure axis is not the same as its north-south axis; they are offset by about 10 meters (about 33 feet).

By comparison, Gross said the same model estimated the 2004 magnitude 9.1 Sumatran earthquake should have shortened the length of day by 6.8 microseconds and shifted Earth's axis by 2.32 milliarcseconds (about 7 centimeters, or 2.76 inches).
https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/earth-20100301.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/03/100302-chile-earthquake-earth-axis-shortened-day/
Old 29-11-2016, 15:49   #58

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

According to my wife who grew up on a cattle property on the TopEnd, none of us know anything about real heat!
The borrow pit they used to retain water for cattle to drink during their summer was too hot to swim in. Now that is hot.
With apologies to fstbttm, weather changes from hot to cold and back again... I thought it was called climate which changes all the time so why the fuss? Phil
Old 29-11-2016, 15:50   #59

Absolutely am serious in my reply. The question you should ask yourself is are you, since you seem incapable of separating fact facts from fiction. The boot is on the other foot
Old 29-11-2016, 15:59   #60
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
And no I didn't, I just stated some info that the northern end of the reef is suffering, it's believed to be due to the increased water temperatures and from sediment runoff
I really don't know much about this stuff. I've been out of Australia for 8 years and away from Cairns for 25 years.

If the nothern part of the reef then runoff isn't agricultural. Their ain't none up there. Its cattle country north of Cooktown.

Said "bleaching event" didn't say from warmer water.
So what other bleaching events may there be? Yes, warmer water may be one, but others?

We know Indonesian fishermen illegally poach reefs and use bleach and cyanide to kill the fish, and presumably coral too. Could that be possible?
Closed Thread

Tags
Great Barrier Reef