Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 12:10   #31

Boat: Tanzer 22
Re: Great Barrier Reef "cooked" to deadth

You gotta ask yourself 2 questions.

What if global warming is myth?

What if global warming is the real deal?

If it's a myth, then what? You save a little energy and no don't use as much plastic.

If it's the real deal, then all the things we love won't be around for generations to come.
Old 29-11-2016, 12:17   #32

Same old, same old. The results of some recent elections become easier to comprehend.
Old 29-11-2016, 12:19   #33

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Oh boy. How many more hours will this thread last?

I for one intend to ignore warnings from the scientific community and wait for Jesus and Santa Claus to straighten things out.
Don't forget the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy!
Old 29-11-2016, 12:47   #34

Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
North Sea needs to get a grip! This is a forum of fun, information, encouragement and regrets. No need to try and convince folks of a particular point of view! Phil
I'm still kind of new here, and worse yet I don't even own a sailboat (everybody shudder). Phil, I think you're spot on. You guys remind me of a fighter pilots' ready room - bunch of clowns who love what they do and mercilessly poke fun at one another. You are a blast from my past, in a way of speaking. Same characters, same attitudes, same fun-loving group. I appreciate you allowing a stink-pot driver to mingle among you. It's GREAT!!!
Old 29-11-2016, 13:03   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
North Sea needs to get a grip! This is a forum of fun, information, encouragement and regrets. No need to try and convince folks of a particular point of view! Phil
Capt Phil, you are right. Some of the deniers should remember that. The OP posted information on a documented phenomenon. So why do some of the same people that jump on any climate post have to belittle that information? Is it fear? Unquestionable belief? Maybe you can tell me.
Old 29-11-2016, 13:17   #36

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I was out on this thing called the GBR last weekend. It looked all fine and dandy to me.

P.s another climate thread yay! They always seem to come along this time of year.
Old 29-11-2016, 13:26   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

The climate changed right in front of me today, I was stunned .... it actually rained here in Lucaya. Will someone please tell George Clooney, Leonardo DiCaprio and Al Gore for me.
Old 29-11-2016, 13:29   #38
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Nice to see people jump down my throat for a 1 line gag.
I imagine someone jumping down your throat would make you gag[emoji12]
Old 29-11-2016, 13:34   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I was out on this thing called the GBR last weekend. It looked all fine and dandy to me.

P.s another climate thread yay! They always seem to come along this time of year.
Cause aside, it's my understanding it has been degraded significantly since I dove on it 23 years ago.

Now you're saying it's all a fraud; no cause for concern?
Old 29-11-2016, 13:46   #40

There's healthy coral living in warmer waters than the GBR.

John McEnroe
Old 29-11-2016, 13:49   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
There's healthy coral living in warmer waters than the GBR.
So what is killing the north part of the GBR? People flushing their heads? MarkJ gagging?
Old 29-11-2016, 13:50   #42

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Time will reveal all things is my thinking. I think both sides of the equation for climate change have skeletons in their closet about telling the truth. Isn't that the way of many processes on this planet?

The good thing that has come out of this warming or non warming of our planet is that it has made people more self conscious of how they conduct their lives. As I was rebuilding my deceased father's house I made conscious decisions to insulate heavy all walls and attic so that I would use the least amount of energy possible to warm and cool. I replaced every window with double paned e glass. Upgraded to the most modern furnace you can buy. It has paid off. My electrical/gas bill is approximately 60-80 dollars a month. PGE sends out a report once a month how each home owner is doing compared to other houses in the area. I consistently rate in the top 5%.

I stopped using plastic bags for work. Everything is put into plastic reusable containers. I go shopping now with the big canvas bags. Everything is recycled that is recyclable. I am sure many of you have adopted the same habits. So, in this sense, people are waking up to behaviors that are harmful. Whether that is based on good science or bad science or mother nature's cyclic nature...isn't that a positive effect on human nature that has come about?
Old 29-11-2016, 13:51   #43

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
Much more fun to ignore any warnings and continue doing our thing. In any case its probably too late anyway. Hmmm, which red wine goes best with filet mignon?
Now were talking my lingo. I prefer a dark red such as pinot noir with a filet, but in reality, any red that is not sweet will do for me.
Old 29-11-2016, 13:53   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
So what is killing the north part of the GBR?
The heat, I expect. This year the water was noticeably warmer than last year.

I'd suggest different coral species suit different temperature ranges. So most likely we'll see a southward migration of coral species.

Temperatures and sea levels have been rising for at least 10,000 years. Much of the GBR was dry land 10,000 years ago.

John McEnroe
Old 29-11-2016, 14:05   #45

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Time will reveal all things is my thinking. I think both sides of the equation for climate change have skeletons in their closet about telling the truth. Isn't that the way of many processes on this planet?

The good thing that has come out of this warming or non warming of our planet is that it has made people more self conscious of how they conduct their lives. As I was rebuilding my deceased father's house I made conscious decisions to insulate heavy all walls and attic so that I would use the least amount of energy possible to warm and cool. I replaced every window with double paned e glass. Upgraded to the most modern furnace you can buy. It has paid off. My electrical/gas bill is approximately 60-80 dollars a month. PGE sends out a report once a month how each home owner is doing compared to other houses in the area. I consistently rate in the top 5%.

I stopped using plastic bags for work. Everything is put into plastic reusable containers. I go shopping now with the big canvas bags. Everything is recycled that is recyclable. I am sure many of you have adopted the same habits. So, in this sense, people are waking up to behaviors that are harmful. Whether that is based on good science or bad science or mother nature's cyclic nature...isn't that a positive effect on human nature that has come about?
I like that. Too many Puritans. All or nothing. Following that path the solution would be mass suicide. That would solve the problem. Got a kick out of charter guests in the BVI complaining about the fuel used by Motor Yachts after flying in from LA. Real conservation seems reasonable.
Closed Thread

Tags
Great Barrier Reef