Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 09:40   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Great Barrier Reef "cooked" to deadth

Does anyone remember the days when......
If you wanted to avoid conflict....
....You would talk about the weather.[emoji4]
Old 29-11-2016, 09:49   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

One of the world's experts on climate change attended our family Thanksgiving dinner. A recognized scientist. I played the devil's advocate and brought up the standard arguments against man made climate change (very politely). She carefully explained the situation, with many examples. There was no doubt in her mind that the extreme damage caused by global warming was man made. She had no agenda. Of course there have always been warming and cooling cycles. Duh. She contended that the conditions created by man are responsible for pushing us over the edge. A bit scarey.
I'm not getting rid of my diesel. We humans are a selfish lot. I include myself in that mix.
Old 29-11-2016, 10:24   #18

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSea View Post
You mockers are delusional. Global warming is not a theory, it is a series of facts. Why don't you educate yourselves? Read some books and scientific articles on the subject. The overwhelming consensus of the scientific community is that overwhelming planetary changes are happening at an unprecedented rate. If you want to make a joke out of it to help you with your denial, you show yourselves as the shallow, selfish people that you are.
Science by consensus? Since when is that a principle? For purposes of argument only, if we were to accept the premise that global warming is occurring, are not the real questions, is man making any significant contribution to the warming, if so, how and how much, is there anything meaningful that man can do to actually control the change, and if so what is it?

I believe (as opposed to know) that the majority of participants in CF care about the oceans, seas, lakes and shores, definitely including reefs, atolls, and the like, not to mention the creatures that live there. The skepticism you are reading in this thread may come from a belief that man's input is not a prime mover of what is occurring, and there have been so many intentional distortions and outright lies by those attempting to show that it is a man made condition, changeable only by an application of tax money, that determining the existence of any figments of truth that may exist has become a virtual impossibility.

Me, I am hedging my bets by acquiring a solar heating/cooling equipment company located far from any shore, and at a much higher altitude. It will go with my Arizona water front blanket & glove company.
Old 29-11-2016, 10:29   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Some time ago Global Warming became Global Climate Change. It is not a matter of semantics, btw. The reason is quite simple, actual warming stopped some years ago, possibly as a result of solar activity (eg sun spots as massive releases of radiation). We are currently in/going into a cooling phase in that respect. It is these solar effects/patterns that bring on such climate changes as ice-ages and warming trends, plus Earth's cycles (and events) as well.
No - actual warming did not stop. The earth is still getting warmer. Where on earth did you read that? The data is extremely clear on this, as well as being clear that there is link to the amount of carbon in the atmosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJICDAN View Post
Al Gore admitted that his research was fraudulent, and the results were politically funded by George Soros.
No he didn't. Again, where the hell are you reading this? And Al Gore isn't the one collecting or interpreting data.
Old 29-11-2016, 10:38   #20

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Much more fun to ignore any warnings and continue doing our thing. In any case its probably too late anyway. Hmmm, which red wine goes best with filet mignon?
Old 29-11-2016, 10:48   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
My two level dock in SE florida was never under water it high tide when it was built 15 years ago.

Now, the lower level is partially underwater at high tide and 4 inches under at high water springs

That my friends is a perfect example of why the climate thing sells so well to so many. This person believes that the ocean in his back yard has risen what? 4 plus inches in 15 years, not even al gore would by that one. So sir, I say your dock is sinking.
Old 29-11-2016, 10:52   #22

Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander

Hmm. Lying ol' satellites. If you can't trust electronics to support your claims, who CAN you trust???

Old 29-11-2016, 10:53   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Nice to see people jump down my throat for a 1 line gag.

The truth behind the joke is not about Global Warming, but WHITE MAN MADE GLOBAL WARMING.

Because its the Great Barrier Reef Australians blame Australians where as most of the CO2 emmissions are from Indonesia, China, India and the test of smoggy Asia.

Yes, Australians do cause a proportion of bleaching from agricultural water runoff.

Anyway, I shall amble off to my corner whilst the zealots accuse anyone who isn't a GreenPeace member of being the problem.

Old 29-11-2016, 11:02   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Old 29-11-2016, 11:05   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Sorry trying to post an image at http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Fea...alies_2014.png
But doesn't seem to work.
Old 29-11-2016, 11:13   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Sorry trying to post an image at http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Fea...alies_2014.png
Because it's a .png but its fine if u click the link.

Btw there's dispute over that graph even though its 'from' mass. Then, there's disputes over most graphs on warming lol
Old 29-11-2016, 11:18   #27

Boat: Chris Craft 47 Commander

It came up for me okay. I'm kinda like MarkJ in that my post was intended as a smiler, mostly. Truth is you can find those temperature graphs to support virtually any claim you care to make. I do seem to recall that Al Gore admitted his charts were fraudulent, though. Mother nature will take care of Earth, one way or another. Including killing off mankind if that's what it take to save this planet. At the age of 76, I really don't worry about it too much anymore and I certainly don't plan to lose any sleep over it. I used to be one of them thar rocket scientists we all made fun of, working with NASA through the USAF. In the 60s and 70s we had other fish to fry since Mr. Gore hadn't needed all the money he made off the "global warming" scare. All said, though, it's been a fun ride.
Old 29-11-2016, 11:32   #28

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

The GBR enables many businesses to flourish and to provide the opportunity for millions to enjoy it's beauty. Climate change is natural and does change the Reef , mainly for the better. It is ignorant and treacherous to attempt to confuse ordinary people by dragging in CO2, China , Al F'ing Gore ,man made damage and dodgy statistics- just for a sensational story ! This whole "Man made climate change " fiasco is a scam perpetrated by crooks !
Old 29-11-2016, 11:36   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

So the bleaching has been good for the reef?

You really have to be out there to believe that!
Old 29-11-2016, 11:46   #30

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

when it dies they will be able to grind it up and sell it to china like everything else / wonders of the world sand for high houses and paving
Closed Thread

Tags
Great Barrier Reef