Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 18:52   #1

From Macau, Hong Kong & China to Taiwan and Philippines

... Wondering if any old hands out there can tell me how feasible this trip would be.

My idea is to sail coastwise north along the Chinese mainland, in early autumn, then cross to Taiwan in November and head south with the NE monsoon.

The reason for the round-about trip is that the boat I may purchase in Macau is not really a blue water sailer, so I want to avoid overnight passages. After sailing or motoring far enough north to have a favorable angle on the wind, I plan to cross the straits in a day and harbor-hop down the west coast of Taiwan to Kaishung. Then, I'll cross into the Philippines, anchoring out in the Batanes islands at night to split up the passage into two or more day trips.

I know that the area is prone to major typhoons, but I figure that I can make the passages without too much worry, as long as I keep them short and get the weather right. However, I've never sailed this territory, in anything but a 600 foot cargo vessel (and that was many years ago) so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am also worried that the most difficult part of the trip might be securing transit visas from Taiwan when approaching from China. I'm an American who is a permanent PI resident, and the boat would probably still be Macau registered at the time of the trip.

Any advice from anyone with first or 2nd hand knowledge of the area, visa issues or potential registration or customs problems, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks,

Goner
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 19:47   #2

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...sea-46853.html

The above thread has a fair amount of discussion regarding the South China Sea.

It might be worthwhile getting the boat to Hebe Haven Yacht Club in Hong Kong to do provisioning, refits, etc. You can get a temporary membership for up to three months as a visiting yachtsman. The club is close to a number of chandleries and skilled contractors. There is a wealth of knowledge to be found simply by having a few beers around the bar - which in my estimation is the best way to do research!!
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 20:10   #3

Thanks for your quick reply.

Need to do as much research as possible before heading out, however, since my "window of opportunity" is rather limited. This scuttlebut thread, isn't exactly the same as sharing a beer with some old salt, but it's probably the next best thing.

Appreciate the lead, and will follow it up when the time comes.

Regards,

Goner
Old 02-10-2010, 20:15   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
You are wise to do the research but at the end of the day it is, of course your decision.

If you are concerned about the trip maybe it would be good to have a delivery skipper with you.

Google Earth show a rumbline of about 600nm and your route about 900. It may be less painful to pick the best window you can and go straight for it with crew. Note I am not advising either way...

I don't want to turn this into a "is this boat" suitable thread but if you ended up with a Macgregor there is a Mac dealer here you may be able to provide information about how to prep the boat. I know he has delivered at least one from here to Indonesia and he is pretty good guy.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 21:01   #5

Thanks Ex Calif

I will check your links.

There are reasons for the Mac, but I won't go into them here. Of course, making blue water passages is not one of them. I agree, no need to discuss that issue further.

Thanks again for your help,

Goner

Tags
China, Macau, Taiwan, Philippines