Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 22:28   #1

French Polynesia Charter-Time , Navigation & Weather

I plan on bareboat chartering out of Raiatea and I'd appreciate your opinions/advice on cruising in French Polynesia. We are planning on chartering for eight days.

Time of year: How would September be in terms of weather, sea conditions, and access to anchorages/moorings. What times of year would you recommend.

Navigation: I'm a moderately experienced sailor (Tartan 37 in Hawaii). No other experienced crewmembers. I've read that negotiating the passes can be a bear. Cause for concern? Hazards? I've chartered in the BVI a couple of times with no problem.

Itineraries: I'd appreciate any recommendations on the best sequence and routing.

Thanks. Any info on the above or cruising out of Raiatea would be very much appreciated.
pacej001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 22:31   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: French Polynesia Charter-Time, Navigation, & Weather

Welcome to the forum pacej001.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 22:36   #3

Re: French Polynesia Charter-Time, Navigation, & Weather

We chartered in December. Had a grand time. The passes were all easy. They'll warn you away from the bad ones. We did Tahaa, Huahini, Bora Bora out of Raiatea. Moorings I think. 2 weeks was plenty of time. Highly recommended.

One can anchor in any reasonable spot. No big deal at all. Seems easier than the BVI ... but I've only done a little cruising in BVI.

September is dryer and cooler than other months. Which sounds like a good thing. Does Tahiti have 'sea conditions' ... the trips between the islands are quick and you can pick the day...

Itinerary depends on what you like...snorkeling...dining ashore...relaxing on a beach...sleeping all day in a beautiful anchorage...they'll point you the right way during the orientation. Unlike the BVI it wasn't crowded at all ...
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:09   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: French Polynesia Charter-Time , Navigation & Weather

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum and enjoy the site..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 13:22   #5

I made a similar post on travel talk online and have gotten a few informative responses. Also a link to a cruiser's blog that can be mined for a lot of local insight. We are planning on going in Sept/Oct 2012.
firepilot46n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 16:04   #6

Boat: Boereal 44

Tahaa and Huahini were our favorites of that group. You can actually sail around Tahaa inside the reef as there is plenty of room and the trades make it possible for a full 360 as they wrap around the island. Anchoring on the most part throughout group not the greatest but doable. For us Bora Bora was like an old French Wh---. Worn and tiered out but it was like that back in 1972 when I sailed there the 1st time. Some like it for the social life there is plenty of it. Huahini is great with many historical sites and fun to Hitch hike around the Island. Huahini has some of the best surfing in the S. Pacific.
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
French Polynesia, navigation, weather