Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2012, 00:07   #46

Boat: Beneteau 50
Re: Floating Hazards In North Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Also regarding salvage rights- I read that Japanese citizens have a very strong habit of squirreling their money away in safes and the like. Apparently after the big one, many millions of dollars in cash were recovered from the wreckage. Most of it was actually returned to the rightful owners, but not all by any means. Maybe when you run across a floating mattress or two you should get out the geiger counter and radsuit and cut it open to see if it's full of cash? LOL! That debris field could be holding a substantial amount of very soggy Yen. But then safes aren't known for floating well. Maybe a waterproof safe might float if it isn't too heavy?
If I could identify the owner, I'd send the cash back. They could use all the help they can get.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 00:14   #47

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Hi Bene,
You are right of course, but is it not sad that the Japanese government has decided to redirect money allocated to victims, to the ilegal whale killing in the Southern ocean!
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 00:55   #48

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Bummer we were thinking of crusing from the Columbia River to the Straight Of Juan d Fucia and the San Juan Islands this next year. I guess we'll need stainless steel bow covers on our catamaran . I wonder how far back on the bow you would need to put SS or some other strong material to keep from getting a hole poked in the hull.
Old 13-01-2012, 10:20   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
Bummer we were thinking of crusing from the Columbia River to the Straight Of Juan d Fucia and the San Juan Islands this next year. I guess we'll need stainless steel bow covers on our catamaran . I wonder how far back on the bow you would need to put SS or some other strong material to keep from getting a hole poked in the hull.
If this is a real concern, you may want to consider teflon.

We used to run a river boat (jet) in very rocky situations, and the whole bottom was covered with a 1/2 inch Teflon covering (think cutting boards as an example). It work great, with the bonus of easily being able to get off sandbars, which would have been very difficult with aluminum.

Teflon sheet would be much easier to conform to the shape of your boat, as opposed to SS.

Just a thought.
Old 13-01-2012, 10:59   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

A CF member named Protect the oceans seems to know a lot about this problem...I think he is looking for another boat to go out and study this mess...Cant they send big ships with nets out to collect some of this stuff ? A hazard such as this is worth trying to clean up..If it were oil it would be addressed...If they can fish out all the fish surely they can fish out this junk....DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 11:12   #51

You would think one of the big plywood making Japinese ships would gather up the wood and chip it up and make partical board out of the scraps of lumber to re sell it. But if there are tennis shoes with body parts it would not be too clean of wood to press into useable material.

I don't know about using teflon to coat our boat sounds heavy and expensive to apply.
Old 13-01-2012, 11:15   #52
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
I don't know about using teflon to coat our boat sounds heavy and expensive to apply.

I would definitely stick with kevlar if you actually wanted to do such a thing. Anything else would be too heavy and too much work to install. But a nice vacuum bagged kevlar lam on the bows would dramtically increase puncture resistance without too much weight. I still wouldn't do it though, just try to stay away from debris fields. Much cheaper. Unless you fail.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 11:16   #53

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
A CF member named Protect the oceans seems to know a lot about this problem...I think he is looking for another boat to go out and study this mess...Cant they send big ships with nets out to collect some of this stuff ? A hazard such as this is worth trying to clean up..If it were oil it would be addressed...If they can fish out all the fish surely they can fish out this junk....DVC
Doesn't seem plausible to me. We're talking about covering 1000's of square miles.

Referring to the recent oil spill, most of that just went into the ocean. They only cleaned up specific areas. Probably only recovered a few % of the total oil spilled.

Just did a search, this article says 10-20% recovered:
Gulf Oil Spill: Rick Steiner Got BP Disaster Right From The Beginning, Warns Crisis Is Far From Over

Equivalent here would be something like running a net back and forth across the entrance to the Juan de Fuca Straits.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 11:26   #54

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
A couple of years ago a friend took his Corsair F-24 down the coast from Seattle to San Francisco single handed. He spent every night except one sleeping at anchor. Some of the bays are small, most have bars, but there are places to stop. Charlie's charts describes them.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 11:30   #55

I guess we'll waite and see how the floatsome field is when it hits the coast. I would guess if a person has a bigger ship and wants to be a scrapper could build a condo complex out of the wood.

Anyway we have 300 miles of sailable river to play on without sailing in the floatsome and getting holed and sink
Old 13-01-2012, 11:53   #56

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

The debris field appears to scatterring as it is now 1000 miles long and 2000 miles wide.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/12/10139783-lost-at-sea-japans-tsunami-debris-is-scattering
John A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
north pacific