Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2019, 15:14   #1

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Fiji dry storage recommendations

Hi

I'm looking to spend the cyclone season in Fiji this year and am looking for some recommendations on where to leave the boat.

I will be going home for four months and want to leave her on in a secure yard on the hard before returning and spending two months in a marine waiting out for the new season. I'm speaking to Vuda marina and like their semi buried solution but was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with other places?
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 21:13   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Fiji dry storage recommendations

If those months will be during cyclone season, check your insurance: I would not expect to be covered roughly October through May.

Ann
Old 25-05-2019, 22:22   #3

Boat: Volkscruiser

I was in Vadu point marina last week and thought the mono hull storage in the pits looked very secure. I imagine in a cyclone there the worst damage would be from flying debris.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 01:02   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
I was in Vadu point marina last week and thought the mono hull storage in the pits looked very secure. I imagine in a cyclone there the worst damage would be from flying debris.
Cheers
Lightning is also a risk there.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 03:25   #5

Boat: Volkscruiser

Having thought about my comment and being involved in the cyclone Yasi clean up I realise that I was being to optimistic. Anything can happen when a cyclone hits so you just have to take your chances.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 12:47   #6

I've spent some time in Vuda Point Marina.
Good travel lift and Cyclone protection with pits.
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 14:30   #7

Boat: Herreshoff Nereia 36'

I have been in Fiji for 5 years, and have have spent all 5 cyclone seasons in Vuda Marina, in the water, with no problems. My insurance specifically said Vuda was the only Marina Above 20 degrees they would cover Rhapsody. The company was bought by Geico, and I am still covered.
I was here, on the boat, in the water for Winston, a Cat 5 cyclone. Worst damage was minor to the rub rails, from bumping into the boat next to me.
Boats in the pits were all good, albeit tilted about 10 degrees. Hard stands not so good . All 5 fell over.
So, Vuda Marina works: it was specifically designed for cyclones. The pits work great, but you do need to reserve one well ahead of time, like right now.
There are only so many, and pits are booked early.
To top it all off, the staff is terrific, and the Boatshed Restaurant and Bar is the best in the South Pacific
SVRhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 14:52   #8

Type "Vuda Point Marina" into the search bar of Google Earth for a good clear overhead look of the Marina.
You will see the "pits" and able to zoom out to see the protection afforded.
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 05:01   #9

Boat: Catalona 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRhapsody View Post
I have been in Fiji for 5 years, and have have spent all 5 cyclone seasons in Vuda Marina, in the water, with no problems. My insurance specifically said Vuda was the only Marina Above 20 degrees they would cover Rhapsody. The company was bought by Geico, and I am still covered.
I was here, on the boat, in the water for Winston, a Cat 5 cyclone. Worst damage was minor to the rub rails, from bumping into the boat next to me.
Boats in the pits were all good, albeit tilted about 10 degrees. Hard stands not so good . All 5 fell over.
So, Vuda Marina works: it was specifically designed for cyclones. The pits work great, but you do need to reserve one well ahead of time, like right now.
There are only so many, and pits are booked early.
To top it all off, the staff is terrific, and the Boatshed Restaurant and Bar is the best in the South Pacific
Thanks for the great info!
Reileyvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 22:11   #10

Boat: 44ft mono hull

That's all great stuff, especially Rhapsody, thank you all.

I don't have, and can't find anyone, to give me insurance (at least not at a crazy cost with an amazing number of caveats) so think I might have talked myself into making the trip down to NZ. Seems safer, assuming I time the weather right, and I might not get the chance to go there again.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 02:13   #11

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Olly75 if you get to NZ flick me a PM - and would be happy to sail sometime - have a few sundowners in a nice bay!
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 05:01   #12

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
I might have talked myself into making the trip down to NZ. Seems safer, assuming I time the weather right, and I might not get the chance to go there again.
Heading for NZ from Fiji, keep an eye out for a slow moving high moving east from the Coral Sea. Use the SE trades off Fiji for the first two/three days then ride the back of the high all the way down to Opua. My last trip down (last year) had us on a port tack from the south west point of Fiji (Momi Bay) to inside the Bay of Islands (Opua) still on a port tack 7 days later when we stowed our sails. Total engine hours for the trip - 3.5hrs

Be sure to follow the instructions for customs clearance before leaving Fiji - NZ Customs don’t like surprise visits from vessels they’re not expecting.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fiji, men, storage