Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2013, 18:07   #1

Boat: too many
Expats in the Philippines

7200 islands, sounds like a cruiser's paradise.

Low cost of living and English spoken, sounds like a good retirement choice.

Ladies searching for a good heart and financial security, sounds good for older single guys.

So spill the beans, if your an expat in the Philippines, what have you to say about it?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 04:51   #2

Boat: custom 42' catamaran
Re: Expats in the Philippines

Actually I think it is closer to 7,107. Since no one else responded I think I am breaking some kind of code of silence. Yes, I am retired here and you are correct about English being widely understood and spoken; you are also correct about the lower cost of living; I am a permanent resident with a Special Retirement Residence Visa (SRRV). You are also correct that there are many younger filipinas here willing to hook up with a mature westerner. I have been with my pinay partner for over seven years now and she is willing to try a cruising lifestyle. Not being very experienced I expect to do mostly coastal trips - sailing only during the day and within sight of land. I hope to be anchored by 4 PM every day to spend the night - or several nights in a quiet location where I can snorkel in the warm clear water before moving on. Eventually I expect to circumnavigate all of the major islands in the central Philippines - avoiding the more southern locations where the unrest is, and avoiding the more northerly locations where most of the typhoons go.

My pinay partner is college educated with a degree in Fine Arts and very good English and computer skills. She speaks the languages here and understands the culture. She is only about half my age. Back in the USA I could not have afforded to have a 42' sailing catamaran custom built and kept in an anchorage (and the cold water there was also an issue). I think that the Philippines is a great place to retire for all the reasons you mentioned.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 04:56   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
7200 islands, sounds like a cruiser's paradise.

Low cost of living and English spoken, sounds like a good retirement choice.

Ladies searching for a good heart and financial security, sounds good for older single guys.

So spill the beans, if your an expat in the Philippines, what have you to say about it?
Here in Thailand those men are referred to as "atm machines".

They are quite easy to spot.
Old 14-10-2013, 07:40   #4

Boat: too many

Bruce,

Thanks for the knowledgeable input. I checked a grocery store on line and after the 43 to 1 conversion and kg to lbs, discovered T-bone steak runs $2.20 USD per lb, what a deal. I also heard that instead of expats in just certain communities, they are all over. Did you sail there with the idea of retirement or was a just a cruising destination that became home for you?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 08:44   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Bruce,

Thanks for the knowledgeable input. I checked a grocery store on line and after the 43 to 1 conversion and kg to lbs, discovered T-bone steak runs $2.20 USD per lb, what a deal. I also heard that instead of expats in just certain communities, they are all over. Did you sail there with the idea of retirement or was a just a cruising destination that became home for you?
I dont think a PI T-bone is the same as in the states..I have japanese business partners that come to visit and they always want to go to a steak house and eat what they call a "real steak"...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 08:57   #6

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I dont think a PI T-bone is the same as in the states..I have japanese business partners that come to visit and they always want to go to a steak house and eat what they call a "real steak"...
While living in S Korea, we brought the local butcher a beef cut diagram and were able to get our preferred cuts.

I have to say that I have never had better seafood than in Asia.
Old 14-10-2013, 09:11   #7

Boat: Skookum 53'

I have no experience there, I have spoken to many mariners that think it is a slice of heaven there. The only concern is the muslim faction that owns the south islands. I have heard the temps. are pretty high, and humidity. The filipinas that I have worked with over the years have been the best of people and great seamen. You cannot own property yourself, (land), you can own a condo as long as it is not on the ground floor (So I hear), you have to put the property in your Wife's name. I am planning on visiting aboard my vessel when I retire (become self employed). Well worth a look.
Old 14-10-2013, 16:49   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
While living in S Korea, we brought the local butcher a beef cut diagram and were able to get our preferred cuts.

I have to say that I have never had better seafood than in Asia.
I have never tasted better food outside of Korea! I love Ojubokum,Japchabop,cow knee soup,merloche(sp?)hot pot(table BBQ),kim-chee,grilled spainish mackerel(name?)etc...comsomneda!!
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 17:44   #9

And the best smoked duck ever.

감 사 함 니 다
Old 14-10-2013, 17:56   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Here in Thailand those men are referred to as "atm machines".

They are quite easy to spot.
Yes and they generally live in Phuket or Pataya.
After living in Bangkok before moving south it is quite easy to meet a girl with a good education and self sufficient as my wife is. Just don't expect to meet them in a bar !!!
Old 14-10-2013, 17:57   #11

감 사 합 니 다
Old 14-10-2013, 17:58   #12

I eve misspell in Hagul.
Old 14-10-2013, 18:09   #13

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Yes and they generally live in Phuket or Pataya.
After living in Bangkok before moving south it is quite easy to meet a girl with a good education and self sufficient as my wife is. Just don't expect to meet them in a bar !!!
Yea, plenty in Phuket. I've never been to Pattaya so I can't comment but we have a lot here in Krabi as well. As I say they are easy to spot ... sweet young things with much older dudes in tow. The falang (foreigner) can't speak any Thai so the girl does all the talking.
Old 14-10-2013, 18:16   #14

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Connie and the kids and I spent 3 yrs cruiseing In PI, we all loved it ! the peaple we met and the great ancorages, weather, food and the prices were just great for family cruisers! Can't really tell ya about the young ladies, but I did see lots of em !! And they did seem friendly! I guess the friendlyness, and the abilty to restock provisions almost everywhere we went were the big things we loved about the place!! It seemed like we were welcomed every where we went, we were invited to dine with local familys almost at every Island we were at! And it was great to have 10 bucks feed us for a week at a time! I think you would love it there Bob, if ya can stand the humidity!!
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 18:17   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I wonder if it cheaper if you don't export the girl, but keep her there?

Seems like the ones that get brought to the US require the parents or other relatives brought over. I bought boat from a guy a few years ago, he showed up with a Philippine guy about his age maybe a bit younger. Turned out it was his father-in-law. They all lived in the same little house in Sarasota.

So how about the sailing? I have heard many times that the Philippines are a very dangerous cruising destination. In these economic times I can't see you not being a major target sitting on your 42 footer with your young wife of the same race as any likely pirates?

Tags
Philippines