Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-05-2016, 18:09   #31

Boat: Switch 51
Re: Environmental Concerns in Tahiti

You wanna do something for the environment? Forget about the head, but grab a garbage bag and fill it with plastic you find on the beach.

Old 24-05-2016, 18:16   #32

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

poo cruisers are popular and useful to train newbies in
navigation
usually 2 nautical miles from sheltered spots
then pump out and return to anchorage
but we are behind the great barrier reef not Tahiti
holding tanks are mandatory here/ there are strict
laws and gbr zoning charts to study and remember
there may be laws over your way

useful to plot a course measure the distance check depths
and currents
it works better if the little brown babies don't beat you
back to the anchorage

good luck enjoy your cruising

Old 24-05-2016, 18:31   #33

Boat: wharram tiki 26

I guess the O.P. has never been to the Bay of Bengal then...
Old 24-05-2016, 19:26   #34

It's true. Never been to the bay of Bengal. Assuming it's poo-riffic based on your comment.

Back to the topic at hand, any preference on bio friendly dish soap?
Old 25-05-2016, 01:00   #35

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
You wanna do something for the environment? Forget about the head, but grab a garbage bag and fill it with plastic you find on the beach.

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 06:39   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjed3 View Post
... Has anyone noted how rapidly the rate of reproduction of humans is increasing in the past few decades? ...
As Paul L noted; the human population growth rate is actually declining.

Population in the world is currently (2016) growing at a rate of around 1.13% per year. The current average population change is estimated at around 80 million per year.

Annual growth rate reached its peak in the late 1960s, when it was at 2% and above. The rate of increase has therefore almost halved since its peak of 2.19 percent, which was reached in 1963.

The annual growth rate is currently declining and is projected to continue to decline in the coming years. Currently, it is estimated that it will become less than 1% by 2020 and less than 0.5% by 2050.

World Population Clock: 7.4 Billion People (2016) - Worldometers

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 10:18   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpman View Post
...I'd use a bucket with a plastic garbage bag along with a small bag of non-clay based kitty litter, wood chips or shavings, coconut fiber, shredded dried leaves, or any other carbon based biodegradable dry bits. Then do it just like with our cats - keeping the poo covered in the absorbing material will prevent smells - then dispose of it in the next town's waste system or septic system, just as one would do with kitty wastes. Most of us are so filled with prescription drugs that our poo is better degrading in a landfill than being eaten by marine life or dissolving in our precious ocean.
Dumping kitty litter down a sewer was/is a no no when I lived in the city. I doubt they would like wood chips/shavings, dried leaves or coconut fiber either. I sure has heck would not flush that down my toilet and run the risk of clogging up the house waste pipes.

Putting that stuff down a septic tank is even worse and should not be done. The rule for septic tanks usage is only what has been eaten and excreted by a human should be flushed with the exception of the toilet paper. Putting kitty litter, wood chips/shavings, dried leaves, coconut fiber, etc down toilets on a septic system could clog up the septic field and make the house uninhabitable. No way should that stuff be flushed into a septic system.

A septic system tank has to be pumped just like a boats black water tank. How often to pump depends on how many people are in the house and the size of the tank. We pump our septic tank every four years during presidential election years. Makes it easy to remember and is ironically fitting. I would guess that dumping kittly litter sized pans of solids into the septic system would require yearly pumping at a minimum. Almost certainly the filter would clog and require cleaning. If a tank did NOT have a filter, and some/many do not, the kitty litter could clogged up the septic field pipes/trenches or worst, actually clog up the soil and kill the field which could cost thousands of dollars to move.

Later,
Dan
Old 26-05-2016, 13:23   #38

Boat: Polca 28, 28 feet

If marine animals polute the sea, they don't add any nutrients to it. Most sailors eat food produced on land and if they empty their holding tanks into the sea, even far from land, they add nutrients to the water. They disolve when humen waste breaks down and our urine is very rich in just these chemicals that marine algea need.

So what? The Baltic Sea has recieved a lot of polluted water from cities and agriculture for many years and algea bloom has become severe. It is now strictly forbidden to empty holding tanks into the water along the Swedish coast. As a retired teacher of biology and environmental matters, I support this law.

In the long run the nutrients in our waste, matter the most. Bring at least your urine back to proper treatment and use on land! Air head is the best treatment for the fecals, if you bring the result ashore to a farmer or use it in a garden.

An alternative: Only eat food from the sea, when cruising!
We don't own the world, we borrow it from our children!
Old 26-05-2016, 16:08   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Self-built 44' steel trawler

Cruising in the Bahamas I've yet to find a marina that has a pumpout station. For that matter I doubt that the small seaside communities have any sewage treatment, either. Even our coastal cities dump raw sewage whenever it rains - the street sewers and the house sewers are the same system, and when the treatment plant gets overloaded, everything goes through the by-pass.
Old 26-05-2016, 18:45   #40

Boat: Switch 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Cruising in the Bahamas I've yet to find a marina that has a pumpout station. For that matter I doubt that the small seaside communities have any sewage treatment, either. Even our coastal cities dump raw sewage whenever it rains - the street sewers and the house sewers are the same system, and when the treatment plant gets overloaded, everything goes through the by-pass.
Yes, that is why boats are literally a drop in the bucket, and boaters a persecuted minority with no political power due to their small size as a group.

Tags
environment, men, tahiti

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: