Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2016, 09:41   #16

Re: Environmental Concerns in Tahiti

I simply cannot resist mentioning that perhaps the largest single pollutant in the world is its most dominant species: homo sapien (as in its population). Has anyone noted how rapidly the rate of reproduction of humans is increasing in the past few decades? The planet is slowly being destroyed by our excesses, both in species and in the things we produce for these bodies.

I know it may offend those soft minded people that gush: "oh, but babies are cute and cuddly". And "its against our religion and politics to limit our reproduction". But use your heads, folks. It's in organized religions' interests as well as corporations, politicians, and the medical industry to want more customers, subjects, and religious adherents. Why do you think there are so many wars, pollution, diminished resources, and epidemics? TOO MANY HUMANS. If we could limit our offspring to one child, that would help. And yes, I do have one child, whom I love very much. I apologize for using this blog for this reason. I don't want to hurt anyones feelings, but if only more people would just realize what is happening and do something about it.
sailorjed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 10:01   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjed3 View Post
I simply cannot resist mentioning that perhaps the largest single pollutant in the world is its most dominant species: homo sapien (as in its population). Has anyone noted how rapidly the rate of reproduction of humans is increasing in the past few decades? The planet is slowly being destroyed by our excesses, both in species and in the things we produce for these bodies.

I know it may offend those soft minded people that gush: "oh, but babies are cute and cuddly". And "its against our religion and politics to limit our reproduction". But use your heads, folks. It's in organized religions' interests as well as corporations, politicians, and the medical industry to want more customers, subjects, and religious adherents. Why do you think there are so many wars, pollution, diminished resources, and epidemics? TOO MANY HUMANS. If we could limit our offspring to one child, that would help. And yes, I do have one child, whom I love very much. I apologize for using this blog for this reason. I don't want to hurt anyones feelings, but if only more people would just realize what is happening and do something about it.
Yeah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah......

This picture kinda puts it all into perspective.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	124806  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 10:34   #18

Didn't mean for this to go sideways. Just wanted a few tips. Back to the topic at hand, are there pumpouts in any of the leeward islands?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Jaylonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 10:40   #19
Marine Service Provider

I’ve chartered in French Polynesia many times. To my knowledge there are no pump-out stations anywhere in the primary cruising grounds which are centered around the charter operations bases on the island of Raiatea 120km miles north of Papeete, Tahiti. Nobody uses their holding tanks which I have never heard mentioned in the briefings. French Polynesia covers an area larger than continental Europe. If overlaid on a map it would cover an area from England to Greece and from Finland to Spain. The population is only about 280,000, over 200,000 of who live on the island of Tahiti. Don’t worry about. Also, there are no crowded anchorages, two boats within 100 yards is really tight.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 10:48   #20

Thanks a lot @jmschmidt. Very helpful. I think that closes this thread out. Much appreciated.
Jaylonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:43   #21

Boat: Ranger 33'

I just purchased a C-head, will remove the standard head from the boat. Solves a lot of problems, and gets good compost for on shore plants. The threading on Earth lightly solution.
roygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:53   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by roygee View Post
I just purchased a C-head, will remove the standard head from the boat. Solves a lot of problems, and gets good compost for on shore plants. The threading on Earth lightly solution.
The OP is chartering a boat in Tahiti. What do you want them to do? Travel half way around the world with a C-Head in tow, change out the head in the charter boat, then fertilize the native vegetation with their feces?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 12:13   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylonious View Post
haha. thanks. I suppose I'll try to avoid crowded moorages then.
why don't you buy an MSD (marine sanitation Device ) they're inexpensive, and the effluent is treated so that anything released into the lagoon is biologically neutral , also you won't be putting any logs into the water to be floating by my vessel . The effluent can also be held in a holding tank for later re;ease . $800 bucks for a Rataran MSD is a good protection for our enviornment.
midnite44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 12:51   #24

Boat: Surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
I think it's all about density of humans and the ability of nature to consume the biological waste that we produce.

In the middle of an ocean it is the most natural and sustainable thing to do to throw all your biological waste into the sea. That's what all the other animals do too, starting from the whales. And some creatures live out of that useful material.

Things are a bit different when close to other people. We usually use the kitchen sink and the head for different purposes. We don't drop waste next to someone's swimming beach. A small lagoon could soon be spoiled.

We tend to use our holding tank and the pumping stations that are numerous up here. But we are surprised how seldom we see fellow sailors use those free pumping stations. I do understand and even support people who say that there should be no strict rules on what kind of waste handling systems boats should have. But I'd expect everyone to use sufficient means to avoid leaving harmful waste in any vulnerable spots like small lagoons, beaches and marinas, or next to other boats.

Simple rule: if it can be harmful, don't do it.
Tahiti and generally French Polynesia moorings are not very crowded - you will be more than often alone.
Mouetterieuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 13:27   #25

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjed3 View Post
...Has anyone noted how rapidly the rate of reproduction of humans is increasing in the past few decades? .....
Actually it is just the opposite, the rate of population growth has gone way down. [QUOTE]Annual growth rate reached its peak in the late 1960s, when it was at 2% and above. The rate of increase has therefore almost halved since its peak of 2.19 percent, which was reached in 1963.[QUOTE]
Old 24-05-2016, 13:31   #26

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylonious View Post
Didn't mean for this to go sideways. Just wanted a few tips. Back to the topic at hand, are there pumpouts in any of the leeward islands?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
From Panama to New Zealand is almost 8,000 miles (12,000 km) and the first pump out you'll see will probably be in New Zealand. And there won't be line to use it.
Old 24-05-2016, 15:26   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
We usually use the kitchen sink and the head for different purposes.
Ah-ha! Another one who occasionally pees in the sink, eh?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 15:30   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That beats washing dishes in the head.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 15:33   #29

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouetterieuse View Post
Tahiti and generally French Polynesia moorings are not very crowded - you will be more than often alone.
If you are alone, then it may be quite ok to throw some biological waste to the sea. But maybe not when you are planning to go swimming . Probably there are some animals or plants that are happy to take care of small amounts of waste.

At one beach in Fiji some locals pointed out a small school of fish to me, saying that they are the ones that take care of any human waste in the water.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 15:38   #30

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
No, not really, we try to save the kitchen sink for other needs. But we may be more liberal with handling of waste #1 than waste #2.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
environment, men, tahiti