Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2009, 07:25   #1

Boat: Valiant 40 - Magda Jean
Ensenada, Dana Point, Newport Beach - from San Diego

I realize it all depends on a number of factors, but in general - how long does it take to sail from San Diego to Ensenada? And Dana Point and Newport? We just got our own boat (after realizing that for what we were spending renting boats we could have our own) and are eager to get out of the bay. Does anyone in San Diego have any good ideas as to where we could sail in a day, spend the night, and then sail home? I am all over the map here - I can't decide what to do first! I appreciate any information anyone might have. Thanks!!
sailbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 08:54   #2

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
San Diego to Ensenada is about a 70 mile sail, 62 to Dana Point, 42 to Oceanside. Too far for a daysail for smaller boats this time of year. Inside the bay, good daysails/anchorages are Glorietta Bay (near the Coronado Bridge) and La Playa Cove, between the SDYC and SWYC. Both need simple free permits to anchor there. Outside the Bay, Mission Bay is a good spot for the night. San Diego Waterfront, the first place for news about the big bay - yacht clubs, sailing, boating, chartering, yachting, racing, scuba diving and surfing has some further information.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 10:26   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
ensenada to san diego is about 19 hours --is 90 miles, exactly......lost angeles harbor from san diego is 19 hours --is 90 miles ......dana point and newport are less time and less miles--havent done that harbor hop in many years---and we did it the north to south direction--makes about a 2 hour difference in short runs..in a monohull....goood luck--is the season now--donot wait to jan--when the el nino storms come in force....with only 1-2 days between ....have fun--is a wet bash....fair winds...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailbird View Post
I realize it all depends on a number of factors, but in general - how long does it take to sail from San Diego to Ensenada? And Dana Point and Newport? We just got our own boat (after realizing that for what we were spending renting boats we could have our own) and are eager to get out of the bay. Does anyone in San Diego have any good ideas as to where we could sail in a day, spend the night, and then sail home? I am all over the map here - I can't decide what to do first! I appreciate any information anyone might have. Thanks!!
also--coronado islands are 4 hours sailing time from san diego---between ensenada and san diego bay.....isnt a bad little trip---will get boarded by mexican navy and donot go tothe shore there....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 16:25   #4

Boat: Valiant 40 - Magda Jean
Thanks! We went almost all the way to the Coronados (were afraid to run out of daylight) and just flew there and back. It was awesome!
sailbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 17:44   #5

Kate - I am trying to keep in touch - don't know where you reach you.
Allie
Allie Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 20:47   #6

Boat: CSY 44 Walk Through
Sailbird,
I went on the NPB to Ens race in 2005 and 06. Is a great race, 400 to 500 boats and alot of fun. Depending on your class, you normally cross the starting line around 1 pm on Friday afternoon and arrive in Ensanata between 6pm Saturday night to the wee hours on Sunday morning. We normally arrived around 10pm to midnight on Saturday. Depends if you stay "close" to the shoreline(the afternoons are good for getting becalmed off Dana Point) or go out farther in the Pacific for favorable winds. Stay at the Coral resort if you go. Entrance is a little tricky in the dark but can be done easily in the daylight. It is rocky in places. We were going dead slow and hit a rock with the keel and it stopped us dead in our tracks. Ensanada is a fun place.
WD
IceMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dana point, newport beach, san diego